X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Self-adjusting parking brake doesn't self-adjusts!!!!! Ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2019, 07:00 AM
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Default Self-adjusting parking brake doesn't self-adjusts!!!!! Ideas?

ALLDATA says: self-adjusting, activate lever a few times.
Any super smart people here?

Old 01-23-2019, 08:31 AM
Received 7,878 Likes on 4,762 Posts

Jaguar issued several TSBs (the ones nobody reads).

bob

Old 01-23-2019, 11:07 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

car5car, odds are, one of your calipers has a rusted e-brake lever and it is stuck in the engaged position. I bet you will also note that the e-brake lever can be pulled really high. I would start with pulling off both rear wheels and looking at the calipers. Specfically, you want to look at the e-brake levers. They should be leaning back towards the rear bumper. If they are pointing forward, they are stuck. You can try also using your thumb and moving the lever. Takes a little bit of force, but you can do it. You can also take a screw driver and pry the e-brake lever back to the rear of the car and if you get movement, then the lever was stuck.

In short (I have torn a few calipers apart), where the lever pivots through the body of the caliper, that area will develop a lot of rust and will cause the arm to stick. You can fix it by tearing the caliper apart and cleaning up this joint. Granted, you will need a 14mm pentasocket (5 pointed socket) to get the caliper apart enough to access this part. I would recommend getting a rebuild kit for the caliper (they are like $20) in case you have a bad seal.

Old 01-23-2019, 02:10 PM
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Thanks, Jag guys!
Whatever it is, I am lucky, it is not S-type with parking brake module, motor and tricky reset procedure!!! S-type really sucked my blood with parking brake problem (and lots of other ones!)

Old 09-07-2019, 06:08 AM
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Im dragging this old post back up as Im on my 3rd calliper now and just had a failed MOT for insufficient hand brake traction. I had the rear pipes replaced earlier this year and not sure if they have blead out the caliper fully, but worried now its been run for 7 months and will be bust.

Any ideas on this Im going to take it off now and try cleaning it up and using fingers to loosen

Old 09-07-2019, 08:02 AM
Veteran member

Hex, I battled this problem with my X-type. I ended up just getting a spare set of calipers and rebuilt mine every time they failed. In my case, what is happening is the shaft that goes through the caliper housing will rust. This will bind up the shaft for the e-brake lever, causing it to stick in a position (engaged). It is easy to spot as you can remove the rear wheels and look at the e-brake levers. If they are leaning towards the front of the car with the e-brake disengaged, the lever is stuck. You can probably move the lever back using your thumb. Sometimes moving it back and forth a few times will give you a period of time to get past say an MOT. May even want to drop a little bit of say 3-N-1 oil down into the crack where the lever meets the caliper. But, the ultimate answer is you need a new caliper. The question then becomes whether you just buy new calipers when needed or you rebuild them like I did. Rebuilding them is easy (I have a post here about how to do it). The trick is you will need the Centric caliper rebuild kit (like $15) and you will need a 14mm pentasocket (a 5 pointed socket). The pentasocket is what releases the shaft that operates the e-brake lever. Rebuilding is not hard. Takes about an hour to do. Big thing is being nice to the rubber gasket on the piston. I could normally rebuild a caliper 3-4 times before I needed to get a new rebuild kit since i reused a lot of the software.

Old 09-08-2019, 08:39 AM
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Hi mate, as thought the calliper was fine all moving freely as you would expect on new one. The garage that replaced the brake pipes just hadn't blead the system properly and there was air trapped in it. Good idea to have a spare set though I might keep a set on standby, although the repair kits are hard to come by over here as the powers that be dont want you repairing the callipers for safety reasons so they say... I did a rebuild a few years ago on one and got a couple of years out of it, but in the end the centre shaft sheered and there was no other option but to renew, as I haven't got a workshop to do jobs / rebuilds in the winter. Im on the lookout for a replacement sill now if there is anybody that makes them. Theres an independent jag garage in Preston on the A6 I might try and see if they have anything.

Old 09-08-2019, 03:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 708 Likes on 633 Posts
The following users liked this post:
Hex Type (09-13-2019)
Old 09-08-2019, 05:58 PM
Veteran member

Hex, here is the software rebuild kit:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Centric-Par...QAAOxyOMdS9Mlg

If you are after a more intrusive kit, then you can get this (by the way, it is in your neck of the woods, so the shipping should be fairly cheap):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Jaguar-X-Ty...0AAOSwv-NWbDJY

I say that you rebuild the caliper and odds are the MOT guys are not going to be any wiser to what has happened to the caliper.

The following users liked this post:
Hex Type (09-13-2019)