XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Should I get rid of my 2011 xj for Roof creaks ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 05:52 PM
RJC
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Sounds like they replaced your car before the problem was fully sorted at the factory and now they feel they've done enough; that's really unfortunate. If the dealership and/or Jag cannot fix the issue(s) or is not willing to do anything further then you should move toward LL.

I can empathize with your loving the Jag but hating the problems first hand...they are truly lovely cars especially when functioning properly.

Last edited by RJC; 05-26-2012 at 06:33 PM.
Old 06-01-2012, 09:36 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RJC
Sounds like they replaced your car before the problem was fully sorted at the factory and now they feel they've done enough; that's really unfortunate. If the dealership and/or Jag cannot fix the issue(s) or is not willing to do anything further then you should move toward LL.

I can empathize with your loving the Jag but hating the problems first hand...they are truly lovely cars especially when functioning properly.
I have a appointment next week , but they already tried the new roof kit last October ,so now what can it be? The roof creaks and rattles over bumps and inclines. What should I tell the dealer?

Old 06-04-2012, 01:55 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just went to the dealer today. They told me that the panoramic roof on 2011 XJ's have been recalled due to the creaking noise. They said it's a 6 hour project. I'm scheduled for next week. I'll let y'all know how well it works.

Old 06-04-2012, 02:17 PM
RJC
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Interesting news...we inquired about this issue as we were considering a new XJ at one point and one of the techs told us the current repair is just washers; glad Jag is fixing it properly.

Old 06-22-2012, 12:08 AM

Got my car back after they did the k117 and it still creaks crackles and pops over bumps, inclines, twists and driveways. I give up?

Old 06-23-2012, 11:01 AM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by aceeg
Got my car back after they did the k117 and it still creaks crackles and pops over bumps, inclines, twists and driveways. I give up?
Helo ceeg, I have just registered in order to tell you my experience on this matter.

I had the cracking sound problem (real hard crack noise when the structure was torsioned). I went to the dealer, I told then that I had a noise (I thought it camfrom the back, I did not identify it as coming frm the roof) and they told me it was the roof. This was October 2011. They fixed something (apparently the fix sent from Jaguar) and the hard cracking noise never came again.

However, there was another noise, a bit more subtile, that I thought it was from the same source. After the fix it had also disappeared but, when I started to open the roof again with the nice weather, it came back. Only the subtile "clack" noise just behind my head. I took it again to the dealer, they repeated the fix but it did not disappear. It happenned when driving even slow, with turns and some bumps (for example on stone roads).

I have been trying to find out what the cause could be and, bingo, I found out (and fixed it in 5 minutes). This sound came from a plastic hook that engages a piece at both rear corners of the roof. You can see them with the roof in the open position, although you have better access to the hooks with the roof in the up (but not open) position. I have wrapped one of them (the noise only came from one of them) with isolating tape (only one wrap was enough). It works. After installing I test drove the car and no sound. I removed the tape, did the same round test drive and noise was there. Taped it again, repeat drive, no noise. Today I went to a place with a lot of bumps where the noise always came and nothing. Opened the roof and closed it again several times to see it there was any misadjustment. No problem.

I hope it helps. I will post if it comes again, but it appears to work, because I have reproduced the typical movements and road points where the noise constantly appeared and it has not repeated.

The following 2 users liked this post by Rayo:
icandr55 (07-29-2015), Jffcurt (06-23-2012)
Old 06-23-2012, 04:20 PM
Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Thanks for your tip. Did you mean insulating tape (electrical tape)???

The following users liked this post:
Rayo (06-24-2012)
Old 06-23-2012, 10:07 PM

When I open the roof in the tilt position no noise i told the dealer and it came back.
what are the hooks for?

Old 06-24-2012, 01:36 AM

Originally Posted by Jffcurt
Thanks for your tip. Did you mean insulating tape (electrical tape)???
Yes (sorry, I am not english native speaker). Actually the one I used is not really the electrical tape, but a sort of...

Old 06-24-2012, 01:41 AM

When I open the roof in the tilt position no noise i told the dealer and it came back.
what are the hooks for?
I am not technician, but I assume they are a sort of lock. If you take a look at the rails on which they are located there is a piece bringing them to the front when you move it. I assume that, when the roof is closing said piece brings the hooks to the front and latch the piece that is on the lower side of the glass.

In my case it was like that: with the roof tilted or open no noise at all. With the previous noise (the real cracking one which was solved with the new pieces) it also sounded. That is what made me suspect that the problem came from the hooks because the rest of the structure looked really well adjusted and the only moving parts I could see where the hooks/latches combination.

Old 06-24-2012, 01:50 AM

I don't see any hooks are they towards the front hood or rear?

Old 06-24-2012, 02:06 AM

I don't see any hooks are they towards the front hood or rear?
Towards the rear. They are difficult to see because there is little space left between the glass roof and the structure. If you look at the structure of the opening in the roof you will see two rails at the left and right side. Just at the end of said rails. As a fact, at the front side of the rails there is a piece which slides in the rails. Slide them to the front and you will see the hooks I mention moving forward.

Old 06-24-2012, 05:27 AM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Rayo
Helo ceeg, I have just registered in order to tell you my experience on this matter.

I had the cracking sound problem (real hard crack noise when the structure was torsioned). I went to the dealer, I told then that I had a noise (I thought it camfrom the back, I did not identify it as coming frm the roof) and they told me it was the roof. This was October 2011. They fixed something (apparently the fix sent from Jaguar) and the hard cracking noise never came again.

However, there was another noise, a bit more subtile, that I thought it was from the same source. After the fix it had also disappeared but, when I started to open the roof again with the nice weather, it came back. Only the subtile "clack" noise just behind my head. I took it again to the dealer, they repeated the fix but it did not disappear. It happenned when driving even slow, with turns and some bumps (for example on stone roads).

I have been trying to find out what the cause could be and, bingo, I found out (and fixed it in 5 minutes). This sound came from a plastic hook that engages a piece at both rear corners of the roof. You can see them with the roof in the open position, although you have better access to the hooks with the roof in the up (but not open) position. I have wrapped one of them (the noise only came from one of them) with isolating tape (only one wrap was enough). It works. After installing I test drove the car and no sound. I removed the tape, did the same round test drive and noise was there. Taped it again, repeat drive, no noise. Today I went to a place with a lot of bumps where the noise always came and nothing. Opened the roof and closed it again several times to see it there was any misadjustment. No problem.

I hope it helps. I will post if it comes again, but it appears to work, because I have reproduced the typical movements and road points where the noise constantly appeared and it has not repeated.
~Nice Trouble Shooting~

The following users liked this post:
Rayo (06-24-2012)
Old 06-27-2012, 11:56 PM

Is it just me having a issue with the roof popping again ? Or is it my dealer ?
After 4attempst to fix it now they will try again next week for a 5th time , is it just me?

Old 09-05-2012, 02:14 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

How do you go about getting jaguar na to replace your car without hiring a lemon law attorney and going thru that process. 2012 jaguar xjl portfolio. Going to dealer for 3 rd try to stop the roof from rattling. Had the latest fix done 2 months ago. It lasted for about 45 days now the roof rattling worse than ever in neighborhood roads and any bumpy uneven road. Quiet as a mouse on highway and smooth pavements. No other problems with this car. Love it but can't stand the recurring roof rattle and this will be the 3 rd time they will have to take the headliner down.

Old 09-05-2012, 04:54 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by OldMike
A quick internet search for TSB's resulted in a couple of tables - one for BMW 7 series and one for Jaguar XJ. No comparison is fool-proof, but I thought the numbers were interesting in light of aceeg's post above ---

First BMW BMW 7 Series Bulletin Scoreboards Listed by model year

Next Jaguar Jaguar XJ Bulletin Scoreboards Listed by model year

Holy #$%^ after reading the above. I sure happy I didn't buy a BMW.