XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Software

Old 01-25-2011, 01:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Software

I am fortunate in that my new XJ is operating flawlessly from a mechanical and physical standpoint. However, like others, I am surprised that the software running so much of this vehicle's sophisticated technology has as many apparent bugs as it does. Some of those already reported here I have also experienced, others I have not. Here's the list of those that bother me the most these days:

1. I have a Blackberry Bold 9650, on Verizon's network. According to the Jaguar website, this phone should synch 100%. Indeed, I do not have any problems with the car finding my phone and allowing me to make/receive calls over the Bluetooth connection (other than one issue in #3 below). However, I would say that the vehicle successfully uploads the contacts from my phone into its phonebook about 10% of the time. The rest of the time, I can not access my contacts from the vehicle in any manner.
2. I have an iPod connected in the car. If I understand correctly, the only way to access the iPod's menus to select music is through the "browse" button on the touchscreen (it would have been nice to be able to do this via the voice system). More troublesome, this browse button does not work all of the time (essentially I am "locked" into the current song and can not access the iPod menus at all).
3. When using my phone and another call comes in, the call waiting feature on my phone seems to "hang" the system--I am not able to disconnect the first call nor am I able to connect to the second. It would be nice if the software allowed me to see the second call and toggle between (like true call waiting) but at minimum it should not crash when a second call comes in.
4. The "voice" button on the steering wheel seems to be periodically unresponsive (i.e., pressing it does not activate the system).
5. There are other bugs in the voice system that I've noticed as well:
a. In "radio" the play/off/tune frequency/voicetag commands either don't work and/or hang the system. It seems like the audio needs to be turned on manually first before it will accept voice commands, and even then the "off" does not work, etc.
b. In "navigation" several commands (for example, "go to POI") seem inoperable or inconsistent
c. Even when the vehicle successfully uploads my contacts into the phonebook, voice recognition of these contacts has been completely unsuccessful.

Has anyone else had these issues? Anyone figured out or received a fix for them?

Thanks.

Old 01-25-2011, 04:06 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

The voice commands can't turn on the audio--it must be turned on manually and then voice commands can make changes. Audio also must be turned off manually.

Also, the voice commands can't turn on the nav--it must be turned on manually and the "agree" button pressed first each time you start the car.

Old 01-26-2011, 01:51 PM
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by HouTexJag
Also, the voice commands can't turn on the nav--it must be turned on manually and the "agree" button pressed first each time you start the car.
What do you mean by "turn on the nav"? Doesn't the screen goes straight to navigation right when you start up the car?

Old 01-26-2011, 03:25 PM
Received 149 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Maybe_XJ
What do you mean by "turn on the nav"? Doesn't the screen goes straight to navigation right when you start up the car?
There is a default "home" screen that appears when you first start the car. From that home screen, you can select to display the navigation map. When you select the nav, you must hit the "agree" button before it will display the map -- similar to the "i agree" button that first appears on the lexus navs when you first start the car.

Old 01-26-2011, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by another_geek
There is a default "home" screen that appears when you first start the car. From that home screen, you can select to display the navigation map. When you select the nav, you must hit the "agree" button before it will display the map -- similar to the "i agree" button that first appears on the lexus navs when you first start the car.
Got it. What a pain.... BTW Lexus doesn't have "I agree" anymore for 2 yeas now.

Old 01-26-2011, 06:35 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Maybe_XJ
Got it. What a pain.... BTW Lexus doesn't have "I agree" anymore for 2 yeas now.

At least you can have the nav system on without the audio system on. On the Maserati QP I traded you had to have the entire system on to get anything, so you had to turn the volume down to zero if you didn't want to listen to the audio while the nav was on. That was a pain.

Old 01-26-2011, 07:28 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by another_geek
I usually leave the system in the home screen as it is actually very well designed, it displays everything you need to know such as audio info, climate control info, outside temp, navigation info, phone battery and reception strength info all in one very organized screen plus you can customize which buttons you want displayed on the left of the screen such as iPod, rear camera,etc... For quick access. For all of the features available and controlled thru the infotainment system it's actually very easy to use I haven't had to read the manual to find out how to use any of the features yet not even to sync my phone it was all very self explanatory, maybe I'm just a little more technically minded than others but it really is very simple to use even the voice commands have a tutorial in the system. The only suggestion to Jag is that it could be a little faster but it's not THAT slow either. I have used the rotary controllers as found in BMW, Mercedes and Audi and they are more difficult to use and have a higher learning curve. I prefer the touch screen to those systems, only downside is fingerprints but Jag provided a cloth to clean it.

Old 01-27-2011, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by HouTexJag
At least you can have the nav system on without the audio system on. On the Maserati QP I traded you had to have the entire system on to get anything, so you had to turn the volume down to zero if you didn't want to listen to the audio while the nav was on. That was a pain.
LOL! It's no secret that Italian cars are *not* known for their "excellent" electrical systems and navigation/sound systems.... I have own Alfa Romeos in the past and they are a blast to drive but oh boy... once the electric glitches start, it's game over.