XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Source for auxiliary battery?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2017, 07:53 AM
Received 89 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Source for auxiliary battery?

so I have been having an issue where when I start my 2014 jaguar xjl portfolio, the dash and all internal lights would flicker. It first happened at night and the headlights flickered and I thought it may have been a headlight issue. Another member suggested the headlight switch stalk. I suspected it to be the auxiliary or start/stop battery since the start stop function was not functioning and I got a fault message too. Ive learned from past jaguars ive owned that a bad battery can cause all types of false flags so I had the two batteries in the trunk tested and voila, the auxiliary battery is done. I've since disconnected it and now I no longer have the issue. But now my issue is sourcing a replacement battery. Exide makes these batteries but only sell in Europe and are unwilling to ship it to the states. Anyone have a source for this battery aside from the dealer as they want $290! I don't want to bite the bullet if I don't have to. Thanks guys!

Last edited by etaent; 11-12-2017 at 07:56 AM.
Old 11-12-2017, 10:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 512 Likes on 413 Posts

I looked at many places and even motorcycle shops. There is a similar specked battery in size and power, but the posts are different. So ended up getting the battery from Jaguar.

Old 11-12-2017, 02:43 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

etaent, can you give me the specs on the battery (all the data that you can find). I will see what I can find. I do a lot of parts look up for my work and converting between things. This should not be that difficult of a find once I know what I am looking for (my car does not have the start/stop feature, so, don't have access to the battery information).

Old 11-13-2017, 10:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 512 Likes on 413 Posts

The part # I have from when I purchased mine is JDE32902

Old 11-13-2017, 11:11 AM
Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

I suspect my auxiliary battery “is done” as well - but as my only indication is the lack of any “stop / start functionality” I have left it alone. I prefer the continuous engine operation vs. the stop / start functioning as intended.

Can I leave “as is” or do I read this thread to indicate I will likely start to experience other gremlins?

Old 11-13-2017, 06:57 PM
Veteran member

From my research, it is an AGM (absorbant glass mat) battery that runs at 12VDC and has a 14 amp-hour (AH) rating. It is also rated at 200 CCA. These sorts of batteries can be obtained for as low as $40. Granted, the bigger issue I think we will find is that Jaguar has picked a battery with special terminals. that is where things can get tricky. The question then comes to whether you want to modify the wiring to save yourself some money as these batteries are never going to last that long due to how they are used. The constant starting/stopping is hard on any battery and these, while built to handle this, are not a last forever thing.

Now, something that may handle things better is something like:

Amazon Amazon

This is what is known as a batcap. It is a mix of a battery and a capacitor. Has the high current draw abilities for starting a car (like a battery), but also has a quick recovery feature (like a capacitor) to get it back to 100%. While this is still not cheap, it is lots better than the factory battery. Not sure how the terminals may match up as the pictures I have found are not too clear as to what the factory terminals look like.

Hopefully this information may be of use to someone. I am looking, but this is one of those things that with it being used with new technology, it is going to keep a premium price for some time.

Old 11-13-2017, 08:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,126 Likes on 2,304 Posts

Originally Posted by Thermo
From my research, it is an AGM (absorbant glass mat) battery that runs at 12VDC and has a 14 amp-hour (AH) rating. It is also rated at 200 CCA. These sorts of batteries can be obtained for as low as $40. Granted, the bigger issue I think we will find is that Jaguar has picked a battery with special terminals. that is where things can get tricky. The question then comes to whether you want to modify the wiring to save yourself some money as these batteries are never going to last that long due to how they are used. The constant starting/stopping is hard on any battery and these, while built to handle this, are not a last forever thing.

Now, something that may handle things better is something like:

https://www.amazon.com/Xstatic-BatCa.../dp/B06XB57883

This is what is known as a batcap. It is a mix of a battery and a capacitor. Has the high current draw abilities for starting a car (like a battery), but also has a quick recovery feature (like a capacitor) to get it back to 100%. While this is still not cheap, it is lots better than the factory battery. Not sure how the terminals may match up as the pictures I have found are not too clear as to what the factory terminals look like.

Hopefully this information may be of use to someone. I am looking, but this is one of those things that with it being used with new technology, it is going to keep a premium price for some time.
From my reading and research the auxiliary battery is not used to restart the engine as part of the stop/start system. Instead it is used to power the peripherals - lights, infotainment, HVAC etc - once the stop/start system turns the engine off. It is still the main battery which powers the starter motor.
One clue is in the CCA ratings, you need lots of CCA to power the starter motor, and the auxiliary battery is only rated at 200 CCA while the main battery is 850 or 900 CCA.
Rather than faff about trying to find a cheapish alternative to the factory auxiliary battery, or pay through the nose for a factory one, why not do as I have done? Disable the annoying stop/start system completely and permanently, simply disconnect the earth lead on the auxiliary battery from where it is bolted to the chassis, a five minute job. I did this on the F-Type over a year ago and it has never caused a single problem.

Old 11-13-2017, 09:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,140 Likes on 3,383 Posts

Fortunately, you're in Australia and don't have to worry about the US Corporate Average Fuel Economy Police and political correctness.

Old 11-13-2017, 09:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,126 Likes on 2,304 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart S
Fortunately, you're in Australia and don't have to worry about the US Corporate Average Fuel Economy Police and political correctness.
Sorry Stuart but South Australia is the world champion of Nanny State political correctness and global warming alarmism (which is the main rationale for CAFE).
We have had a left-leaning government in thrall to the enviro nuts for 16 consecutive years now, and as a result we have dozens of wind farms, no coal fired generators at all any more, and hence the most expensive and least reliable electricity on the planet.
By disabling the stop/start I like to think I am giving the bird to these drongos and doing my little bit to help green the planet as CO2 is the gas of life!

The following 2 users liked this post by OzXFR:
Ken Dreger (06-13-2021), Stuart S (11-13-2017)
Old 11-13-2017, 10:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,140 Likes on 3,383 Posts

I'll sleep better tonight, knowing that it's worse elsewhere.

The following users liked this post:
Ken Dreger (06-13-2021)
Old 11-15-2017, 01:10 PM

I was hoping to find a battery that is similar and will work. The specs I have are from the label on the battery which read cx23-10c655-ac 12v/14ah/200a.

Old 11-23-2017, 01:04 PM

Anyone? If it hasn't happened yet it will eventually and we all will need this part so hopefully someone can chime in?

Old 04-20-2018, 04:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The auxiliary battery in my 2013 XJ Portfolio tests "replace" and, since there have apparently not been any new posts to this thread for a number of months, I figured it might be time to learn whether anyone has yet found a reasonably priced replacement. I should think that by now this problem has become rather widespread, leaving frugal Jaguar enthusiasts with a pressing need.

Old 04-21-2018, 12:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why couldn't we find a post size adapter? Something like this.

Quick Cable: Conversion Adapters SAE to Pencil Post

Adapts SAE to "Pencil Post".

The following users liked this post:
etaent (07-17-2018)
Old 07-17-2018, 11:39 AM

I have yet to find a solution fellas except for removing the terminal from the auxiliary battery and driving without the start stop feature although the link that Currahee included may work.

Old 07-17-2018, 01:27 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

I wonder if you could connect the small battery leads to the large battery and just use 1 battery?

Old 07-17-2018, 04:22 PM
Veteran member

JagGate, that is not a good idea to move the leads like you are suggesting. What you could possibly run into is a situation where the car thinks you are using very little power (when you are actually using quite a bit) and when it sees the battery get low, it attempts to start the car. This large draw on top of the big load that you have already could make it so the car will not start. Then you are really screwed. That is why they normally use a dual battery setup for something like this. That way, even if all the auxilary stuff completely kills the battery, the car still has enough power to crank over he car multiple times.

Old 07-30-2018, 12:25 PM

Hey guys, we can finally put this to bed as I found a source that can ship the battery brand new on ebay for about $275. Heres the link!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/JAGUAR-OEM-...72.m2749.l2649

Old 07-30-2018, 12:46 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by etaent
Hey guys, we can finally put this to bed as I found a source that can ship the battery brand new on ebay for about $275. Heres the link!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/JAGUAR-OEM-...72.m2749.l2649
That is not the link.

Old 08-02-2018, 02:17 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i dont know if this was solved already, but i bought a battery and if they do ship and it works ill let you know where so you guys can get it too.

Quick Reply: Source for auxiliary battery?