XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Sticky Buttons

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2017, 09:42 AM
Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

After a little bit of a rocky start with the local Jaguar SA - I am happy to report that all of my buttons were replaced. Jaguar had the car for 72 hours to get it done - but they had not pre-ordered any parts for the work so I don’t think that is unreasonable.

I failed to ask if the buttons are made differently when I picked the car up. To my touch they are no longer the soft touch material.

Old 12-20-2017, 03:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 513 Likes on 413 Posts

Just an update to this thread. My dealer reordered the switches for my XJ and they have installed them and they are all correct now. Color me as happy camper as Jaguar stepped up to this loyal customer and made things right.

Last edited by XJsss; 12-21-2017 at 02:03 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Stuart S (12-20-2017)
Old 12-20-2017, 06:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by XJsss
Just an update to this thread. My dealer reordered the switches for my XJ and they have installed them and they are all correct now. Color me as happy camper as Jaguar stepped up to this loyal customer and made thing right.
Are you under any type of warranty? I have CPO and they won't change my buttons

Old 12-20-2017, 08:18 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

An update to the new buttons in my 2013 XJ:

The replacement buttons are not satin touch. Unfortunately, the "seat" button was dead on the new panel, so the SA ordered a replacement panel. (The sea of buttons below the touch display comes as a unit, not repairable). Last week I had it installed I'll be damned if the new replacement panel has satin touch buttons. So my car has a mix match. I don't know if it's worth calling the SA, but I would have much preferred all to be the same.

John

Old 12-20-2017, 08:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TNJohn
An update to the new buttons in my 2013 XJ:

The replacement buttons are not satin touch. Unfortunately, the "seat" button was dead on the new panel, so the SA ordered a replacement panel. (The sea of buttons below the touch display comes as a unit, not repairable). Last week I had it installed I'll be damned if the new replacement panel has satin touch buttons. So my car has a mix match. I don't know if it's worth calling the SA, but I would have much preferred all to be the same.

John
My seat button on my control panel doesn't work either. SA was like oh you probably spilled something on it since the cup holders are right there and I was like I have never. But he doesn't want to fix it and said even though its covered he will just say you spilled something on it and not cover it. Ridiculous. But yeah that sucks having mix matched buttons to the touch!

Old 12-21-2017, 02:00 PM
Veteran Member

The TSB is written that if one button is bad that they all should be replaced. I've attached both the TSB and my invoice for the switch change. My XJ is out of warranty, but as a loyal customer that has his XJ purchased from and fully maintained by my dealer JLR North America paid 90% for the repair as if they paid 100% there would be no spare parts warranty is one of the switches went bad. ALL my switches are now the newer non silky/sticky/rubberized switches and even the bezel around the center screen is replaced. On your center stack there are not only the row of buttons, but the buttons around the HVAC cluster are of the same material.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Sticky Switch TSB.pdf (1.03 MB, 363 views)

Last edited by XJsss; 12-21-2017 at 02:02 PM.
lcmjaguar (03-24-2018)
Old 03-21-2018, 01:45 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Ceck - Glad you got your buttons replaced. My attempt didn't go as well. While my car was at the dealer for an oil change, I asked my SA about the sticky buttons. He stated that he didn't know any thing about a TSB, but that he would contact Jaguar. Received a call the next day, that Jaguar had approved the replacement buttons, and the parts were being ordered. Told me to keep the loan car until the service was complete. Eleven days later, I received a message to come pick up my car. Upon arrival, I discover that the buttons had not been replaced, that Jaguar had contacted the SA and decided to deny the claim. He stated that his parts man wasn't too happy either, that he had to send the parts back and even he was getting the run a round from Jaguar. I then contacted Jaguar NA, and ask them to explain to me why they had authorized the replacement, kept my car 11 days then denied the claim. Jaguar stated that they know of no such TSB, and the only TSB they could located, were for vehicles in the mid-east and not the US. Jaguar NA did step up to the plate and offer to pay half of the $12,000 they said it would cost to replace the buttons, leaving me to pay $6,000. Instead, I went out and bought a Mercedes S Class (which is what I had prior to the XJL) and I parked the Jaguar at our yacht club advising people before they purchase a Jaguar, to stop by and see me. I then show them my communications from Jaguar NA, and my fuzzy screen bezel and sticky buttons. BTW, I don't tell anyone not to purchase a Jaguar, I let them make their own decision. Funny thing is, I have not seen any new Jaguars in the parking lot for a while now and we have over 1,000 slips at the club. Really wish I knew how to contact the president or CEO of Tata....I'd send him a letter.

Ken Dreger (10-22-2021)
Old 03-21-2018, 12:08 PM
Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Cork: I am disappointed that your Jaguar experience was so poor - based on JNA and your dealers lack of attention re: ownership of responsibility. The apparent inconsistency of treatment caused by (what would appear to be) a lack of clarity with internal communications regarding what is a demonstrated warranty coverage item (based on my and others claims) is an indication of a significant leadership shortfall.

Old 03-21-2018, 01:03 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No doubt in my mind that the "soft touch" button surface is some variation of polyurethane, which I learned has a tendency to "melt" into a sticky mess and degrade back to its component liquids after just a few years.

Soft polyurethane items that have melted on me over the years and had to be tossed in the dumpster: grey plastic cradles on a bike rack, a pair of expensive snowboard boots (only worn a few times over a five year period, then the soles fell into pieces), a TV remote control, a waterproof layer on inside of an fancy North Face tent, and a few others I can't remember. None of these items were cleaned with anything, other than the bike rack being exposed to water and sun.

I no longer buy anything that's made using soft grey plastic or says it's made of PU.

Ken Dreger (10-22-2021)
Old 03-21-2018, 03:42 PM
Veteran Member

One more time! You need to call JNA customer support and request the button replacement. Dealer SAs are not the ones to get JNA to get this 5k fix it is the Corporation that will authorize the is repair. You as a customer are who can get this to happen with a little honey not the dealer.

Old 03-22-2018, 09:43 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just noticed this the other day and was mystified by it. Thanks for posting. My car is now under the Jaguar extended warranty so I am not sure it will be covered. Any thoughts? I believe I read somewhere above that it might be.

It was dumbfounding to get in the building and wonder if someone had snuck into it and coated all my buttons with soda. Lol

Ken Dreger (10-22-2021)
Old 03-23-2018, 12:17 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

If you have just that part to the left and right of the center screen that is sticky, will they do the replacement? My regular buttons seem ok.

Old 03-23-2018, 09:11 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by JagGate
If you have just that part to the left and right of the center screen that is sticky, will they do the replacement? My regular buttons seem ok.
That was replaced by the dealer when they replaced all sticky buttons on my car. It is doubtful that one piece would be replaced under warranty if the buttons are OK. However, I believe that part is somewhat affordable at the dealer parts counter and easy to replace

Old 03-30-2018, 04:10 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Joining an old thread, I know, but my 2011 XJ Supercharged had this sticky button problem. Out of warranty so I tried Windex and lots of cotton buds. Took a while but it worked great - the buttons now have a hard plastic surface, but no more sticky residue.

Ken Dreger (10-22-2021)
Old 04-22-2018, 04:30 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Same problem here. Buttons are very nasty and need to be replaced ( some of them are even worn out ). I wonder how much would the dearer charge me.

Old 04-22-2018, 07:00 AM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I did my buttons when I got the car, took about 2 hours and wasn't too bad. I don't have an after shot in my phone, but I found one photo I took to show the difference. Look at the lower buttons one is half done and the one underneath is just covered in sticky crap. To clean I rubbed them really hard with dry cotton ***** so they get covered in fibers, then I used a little bit of the natural goof off, the one that's safe for car paint. Once the sticky stuff covered in cotton fibers is wet for a few minuites, I just kind of rubbed the buttons with a plastic scraper and my nail gently in one direction. It's kind of like removing rubber cement from an art project as a kid if you've ever done that, and if you look at the top row in this pic it's mostly off, after the second round of
Cleaning they came up new looking. . I'll take a finished pic and you'll see they come up beautifully once the sticky crap is removed. Makes me wonder why it was there in the first place. I also didn't the panels on the sides of the screen, they look great. If you're replacing anyway, I'd try to clean, it really is night and day and the hard plastic underneath takes a shine when detailed and looks very good.

Attached Thumbnails Sticky Buttons-photo702.jpg  
Ken Dreger (10-22-2021)
Old 04-22-2018, 10:37 PM
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by phillyS1
.... then I used a little bit of the natural goof off, the one that's safe for car paint.
this stuff? https://googone.com/products/automotive-spray-gel/

everything else im pulling up is literally DIY natural.

Old 04-22-2018, 10:44 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Yes that is. Paint and surface safe,

Old 04-23-2018, 10:10 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

So Jaguar corporate just offered to pay 90% of replacing my sticky buttons. I don’t have the estimate for the repair yet but assume I am looking at a few hundred bucks. Not sure where they got this formula from but I guess it beats nothing.

Ken Dreger (10-22-2021)
Old 04-23-2018, 11:06 AM
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Dochands, are you under factory warranty, CPO warranty, or outside of both?

Quick Reply: Sticky Buttons