XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Subwoofer and Soundskin in the doors - Improves sound significantly

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 09:21 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Subwoofer and Soundskin in the doors - Improves sound significantly

I put in a subwoofer in XJ and it makes the stereo amazing. I rated the car an 8.5 before this and the subwoofer took it to a 9.5. Then they put in soundskin and it made an already quiet interior super quiet. It also reduced the timbre caused by metal vibration. Car is now a 10/10. The XJ already has a subwoofer equalizer dial so you can raise or lower the base to your liking.

Audison Amplifier : SRD1
Hertz 10" Subwoofer, custom box

I will post more pictures of the subwoofer and the amplifier tomorrow.

All of this work was done by Soundscape, located in Addison, TX (Dallas)

Attached Thumbnails Subwoofer and Soundskin in the doors - Improves sound significantly-img_6211%5B1%5D.jpg   Subwoofer and Soundskin in the doors - Improves sound significantly-img_6212%5B1%5D.jpg   Subwoofer and Soundskin in the doors - Improves sound significantly-img_6213%5B1%5D.jpg   Subwoofer and Soundskin in the doors - Improves sound significantly-img_6215%5B1%5D.jpg   Subwoofer and Soundskin in the doors - Improves sound significantly-img_6214%5B1%5D.jpg  

Subwoofer and Soundskin in the doors - Improves sound significantly-img_6216%5B1%5D.jpg   Subwoofer and Soundskin in the doors - Improves sound significantly-img_6217%5B1%5D.jpg   Subwoofer and Soundskin in the doors - Improves sound significantly-img_6218%5B1%5D.jpg   Subwoofer and Soundskin in the doors - Improves sound significantly-img_6220%5B1%5D.jpg   Subwoofer and Soundskin in the doors - Improves sound significantly-img_6219%5B1%5D.jpg  

Subwoofer and Soundskin in the doors - Improves sound significantly-img_6221%5B1%5D.jpg   Subwoofer and Soundskin in the doors - Improves sound significantly-img_6222%5B1%5D.jpg  
Old 09-22-2017, 03:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,136 Likes on 3,382 Posts

Your personal profile shows that your XJ is a 2012 SuperSport.

2013-up XJ models with the Meridian Surround Sound system are among the highest rated. I'm very pleased with mine and see no reason to modify it. The previous Bowers and Wilkins system is another matter.

But what do I know? My wife says that I still don't hear her, even with my new hearing aids. 🙉

Old 09-22-2017, 09:49 AM
Default Subwoofer Pictures

Here are pictures of the subwoofer.

Attached Thumbnails Subwoofer and Soundskin in the doors - Improves sound significantly-20170922_092904.jpg   Subwoofer and Soundskin in the doors - Improves sound significantly-20170922_092909.jpg   Subwoofer and Soundskin in the doors - Improves sound significantly-20170922_092917.jpg   Subwoofer and Soundskin in the doors - Improves sound significantly-20170922_092928.jpg   Subwoofer and Soundskin in the doors - Improves sound significantly-20170922_092938.jpg  

Subwoofer and Soundskin in the doors - Improves sound significantly-20170922_092950.jpg   Subwoofer and Soundskin in the doors - Improves sound significantly-20170922_092956.jpg  
Old 09-22-2017, 09:52 AM
Default Subwoofer - Producing between 25Hz and 53HZ

Originally Posted by Stuart S
Your personal profile shows that your XJ is a 2012 SuperSport.

2013-up XJ models with the Meridian Surround Sound system are among the highest rated. I'm very pleased with mine and see no reason to modify it. The previous Bowers and Wilkins system is another matter.

But what do I know? My wife says that I still don't hear her, even with my new hearing aids. 🙉
I do have the B&W. I actually heard the B&W was better than the Meridian. Nevertheless, all of the speakers still work the same in my system. The subwoofer adds a richness and a clean punch to the music. It only amplifies signals in the 25Hz to 53Hz range (I set it up this way). I doubt either of those systems goes that low. Also, the Audison amp has 400Watts dedicated to driving the subwoofer so the stock/upgraded system could never be better.

Old 09-22-2017, 10:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,218 Likes on 1,755 Posts

Read why Jag dumped B&W and went to Meridian.

Many blown speakers with the B&W setup. Mainly passenger front door speakers. A number of blown speaker posts on this forum. Seems if driven hard some people have even had multiple speaker failures.

It has been posted that this was from the distortion the B&W system puts out. The strange thing is I have read the speakers are the same in both system s but the electronics were changed?

I have read that the Meridian is considered a much better system BUT there are different levels of both brands so can't compare the bottom rung of one with a higher level of another.

Old 09-22-2017, 12:43 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Where are you taking the signal for the subwoofer from? I've been considering doing this to my car to improve the very low end response.

Old 09-22-2017, 02:54 PM
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by clubairth1
Read why Jag dumped B&W and went to Meridian.

Many blown speakers with the B&W setup. Mainly passenger front door speakers. A number of blown speaker posts on this forum. Seems if driven hard some people have even had multiple speaker failures.

It has been posted that this was from the distortion the B&W system puts out. The strange thing is I have read the speakers are the same in both system s but the electronics were changed?

I have read that the Meridian is considered a much better system BUT there are different levels of both brands so can't compare the bottom rung of one with a higher level of another.
So a weird note on this...

I've been having the passenger door speaker rattle essentially for the entire time I've had the car. It was fixed in May of this year and then promptly came back a week or two later.

About a month ago I took it to an indie shop who said it was due to the bluetooth connection. They claimed with just the radio it was fine. They also said I was listening to the music too loudly and "that's the way it is".

I then took it to another dealership that I normally get work done. They swapped the speaker in May (The above fix), but they heard the rattle too and swapped it again. It didn't work. I took the car after they had it for a week and decided to take a look myself.

Last weekend I tore the door apart and started troubleshooting. I got it to the point the speaker was in my hand and still producing a rattle. After turning the speaker over, there's a cardboard dimple if you will at the end of the cone that breathes back and forth as music plays. The cardboard was stuck in the out position. I pushed the dimple back in and the rattle was gone.

I was dumbstruck, but after putting the door back and driving it for the last week that stupid fix actually worked. I took video of what you need to do and can upload that if anyone else is having the same problem.

The following users liked this post:
Panthro (09-25-2017)
Old 09-22-2017, 03:25 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

@SovietKitsch +1 for that video, I would like to see it.

Old 09-22-2017, 03:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2015 xjl supercharged 5.0 with the Meridian Reference System. I've received plenty compliments on the sound quality of the 26 speaker 1300watt system

Last edited by socialjaguarfan; 09-22-2017 at 03:45 PM.
Old 09-23-2017, 12:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,218 Likes on 1,755 Posts

Thanks for that GREAT reply on how you fixed the speaker rattle!
That's exactly why this forum is so good!

Sometimes it just requires someone to actually take it apart and look at the thing.

Old 09-23-2017, 01:46 PM

Here's the link to my fix video:

The following users liked this post:
FLSupersport (02-02-2019)
Old 09-23-2017, 04:06 PM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

You should change those speakers. You got the door panels off already , why not to change them, why not to placed better ones. I would

Old 09-23-2017, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by miamijag
You should change those speakers. You got the door panels off already , why not to change them, why not to placed better ones. I would
The speaker was changed two weeks ago at the dealership. Still had rattling. Told "That's how it sounds" This fixed it.

Old 09-30-2017, 11:09 PM
Default Line out converter

Originally Posted by rilot
Where are you taking the signal for the subwoofer from? I've been considering doing this to my car to improve the very low end response.
The installers used a simple line-out converter from the wires to the rear subs. The rear subs still work the same as before. The line-out converter is right next to the amp in the left side of the trunk as you look at it. Fortunately the EQ had a sub woofer setting so you can really calibrate based on the music.

The following 2 users liked this post by jschimmels:
NorcalJag (10-08-2017), rilot (10-01-2017)
Old 09-30-2017, 11:16 PM
Default Size?

Originally Posted by SovietKitsch
So a weird note on this...

I've been having the passenger door speaker rattle essentially for the entire time I've had the car. It was fixed in May of this year and then promptly came back a week or two later.

About a month ago I took it to an indie shop who said it was due to the bluetooth connection. They claimed with just the radio it was fine. They also said I was listening to the music too loudly and "that's the way it is".

I then took it to another dealership that I normally get work done. They swapped the speaker in May (The above fix), but they heard the rattle too and swapped it again. It didn't work. I took the car after they had it for a week and decided to take a look myself.

Last weekend I tore the door apart and started troubleshooting. I got it to the point the speaker was in my hand and still producing a rattle. After turning the speaker over, there's a cardboard dimple if you will at the end of the cone that breathes back and forth as music plays. The cardboard was stuck in the out position. I pushed the dimple back in and the rattle was gone.

I was dumbstruck, but after putting the door back and driving it for the last week that stupid fix actually worked. I took video of what you need to do and can upload that if anyone else is having the same problem.
​​​​​​How big is that speaker in the doorway? Baffeled channel speakers are usually for bass. Is it considered a subwoofer for the front?

Old 10-01-2017, 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by jschimmels
The installers used a simple line-out converter from the wires to the rear subs. The rear subs still work the same as before. The line-out converter is right next to the amp in the left side of the trunk as you look at it. Fortunately the EQ had a sub woofer setting so you can really calibrate based on the music.
I figured you were doing this but wondered if there was a line out anywhere else. This is good to know.
I have a couple of JL 12" Subs from the install in my last car. I'll grab an amp and do the same with my car I think.

Old 10-01-2017, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by rilot
I figured you were doing this but wondered if there was a line out anywhere else. This is good to know.
I have a couple of JL 12" Subs from the install in my last car. I'll grab an amp and do the same with my car I think.
The 10 inch is definitely sufficient. The amp is as good as you can get - I definitely recommend Audison.

Old 10-08-2017, 11:09 AM

Yeah, I like Audison. I've had several of their amps over the years and they've always been good. Hertz too.

Old 10-08-2017, 04:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is that a custom subwoofer box?

Old 10-10-2017, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by NorcalJag
Is that a custom subwoofer box?
Yes, it is a custom box. It fit great in the deep trunk. It was built by Soundscape out of Addison (Dallas) Texas.