XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Tires on 2016 XJL

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2019, 07:05 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tires on 2016 XJL

I recently purchased a CPO 2016 XJL with 17,500 miles from a dealership in Chicago and drove it home to San Antonio, TX. Beautiful car and beautiful ride! One of the items stated in the ‘for sale info’ from the dealer was that the car had 20” (can’t remember name of wheels) wheels. After being home for about a week, I took the car to our local Discount Tires. I ‘registered’ my car details and asked if I could purchase road hazard insurance. The tires had 9/32” tread, which the technician said were near new tires, and that they could sell me the insurance for the tires. Upon further research of the tires, they were 19” tires, so somewhere along the line, the wheels and tires where switched out (note that the door sticker indicated the car has 20” tires). Secondly, he said the back tires were not load rated for this car, so no insurance could be given. The tires are: Front tires: Pirelli PZERO NERO P245/45R19 102H; Rear tires: Pirelli PZERO 275/35 ZR 19. Do you have any recommendations for me, as I’m 1,000 miles from the dealership I purchased the car from? Thanks.

Old 03-21-2019, 09:26 AM
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Is the car on factory Jaguar rims or aftermarket ones? I know there are packages and trim levels that come with 19s. Its possible whatever trim you have is 19s.

I dont know how P Zero Neros are not load rated for the car, that doesnt seem right at all, tho that rear tire size does seem like it might have a smaller sidewall than you would normally want, its not inherently dangerous.

Old 03-21-2019, 09:27 AM
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I prefer the 19" wheels because they ride better. The low profile tires on the 20" give a stiffer ride. I suspect this was the reason the wheels/tires were swapped out.

The following users liked this post:
Hailers (03-21-2019)
Old 03-21-2019, 10:05 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can only assume so, as there are Jaguar centers on each of the wheels.

Old 03-21-2019, 05:28 PM
Received 97 Likes on 78 Posts

I bought a '17 XJL in Dec on the condition that they remove the 20" and put on 19". I hate noisy tires and 20" can be noisy. I'd like a S550 coupe but so far the ones I see have 20" plus wheels.

I also had an incident a couple of years ago with a CL550 with 20" low profile tires about 50 miles west of Albuquerque, NM at 2 am and the temp near 15* F. Hit a pothole somewhere along the trip. Cracked the rim and the tire went down to the low 20psi prior to the outskirts of Albuequerque. I won't forget or forgive my lesson of what 20" low profile tires can do to one at two AM in the morning.

Old 04-05-2019, 07:33 AM
Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts
Default replaced oem tires

I just replaced the OEM 20" Perelli PZero on my 2016 XJR LWB with 20" Michelin Pilot Sport 4S and very pleased with the smooth and much quieter ride from these tires. Whichever rim size you go with you might consider these tires when replacing.

Old 04-05-2019, 03:53 PM
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by chasr
I just replaced the OEM 20" Perelli PZero on my 2016 XJR LWB with 20" Michelin Pilot Sport 4S and very pleased with the smooth and much quieter ride from these tires. Whichever rim size you go with you might consider these tires when replacing.
Do the Michelins have more sidewall support - what makes them smoother, is it just manufacturer design or is it the scale or specs of the tire? I'm looking at an XJ and would prefer 19s but it has 20s, so if I buy the car this info is good to know, in case the ride on the Pirelli 20s is too harsh.

Old 04-05-2019, 03:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,164 Likes on 3,392 Posts

DonJ,

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but it appears that you purchased a Certified Pre Owned 2016 XJL from an authorized Jaguar dealer in Chicago and just found out that it has 19" wheels instead of the 20" wheels that it came with from the factory. To make matters worse, the load rating of those tires are not correct for your car. When did you buy it?

I believe that you have a very strong case against that dealer because a CPO Jaguar should have all the equipment that was installed by the factory as documented by the VIN and widow sticker. That dealer swapped out expensive 20" wheels and tires for less expensive 19" wheels and mismatched, incorrect tires that fail to meet Jaguar CPO requirements. That Jaguar dealer appears to have fraudulently induced you to buy that XJL - a "bait and switch". I recommend that you engage a lawyer to write a letter to that Jaguar dealer and demand that they ship you a complete set of the OEM Jaguar 20" wheels and tires that originally came on that XJL together with authorization to have them installed by your local Jaguar dealer. If they want those 19" wheels and tires back, they should send you instructions for returning them at their expense, including packing and shipping.

If you had to buy those 20" wheels and tires from a Jaguar dealer, you'd probably pay well over $5,000 installed.

Of course, you can write that letter yourself and save a few bucks. But if it comes from a lawyer it will get their attention, particularly if failing to promptly agree with your reasonable demand places their Jaguar franchise in jeopardy. That Jaguar dealer misrepresented the Jaguar CPO warranty. Your lawyer should send it by Registered Mail, Return Receipt, together with a copy to Jaguar North America, 100 Jaguar Land Rover Way, Mahwah, NJ 07495.

Stuart

Old 04-05-2019, 04:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,164 Likes on 3,392 Posts

My 2013 XJ has 20" Kasuga wheels with Continental DWS06 all-season tires. They are quiet, smooth riding, handle well, and are a good value. Check out the Tire Rack customer reviews: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...Contact+DWS+06

Old 04-05-2019, 04:26 PM
Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Quality I believe

Really don't know other than this is a quality Michelin tire and they made a big difference. Recommend you reference Tire Rack as I did for tests and reviews. I'm a fanatic with regard to vibration free, smooth and quiet ride. Not only balance, but also road force rims and tires for best results.
Originally Posted by digband
Do the Michelins have more sidewall support - what makes them smoother, is it just manufacturer design or is it the scale or specs of the tire? I'm looking at an XJ and would prefer 19s but it has 20s, so if I buy the car this info is good to know, in case the ride on the Pirelli 20s is too harsh.

Old 03-28-2024, 05:50 AM
QP7
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Just put on Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus II, what a difference !! Smooths out the X351's ride very nicely. I mean, what a difference... less sporty, but soooo much softer.

Last edited by QP7; 03-29-2024 at 05:06 AM.
Old 03-28-2024, 12:18 PM
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I especially don't like the 20" wheels over damaged road pot holes bumps feels like the car is going to get damaged or fall apart feels harsh even tho I have brand new continental extreme contact tires
Really smooth when cruising on new roads and sharp turns but be prepared when on bad roads your car will feel like a JACK HAMMER

Last edited by JaguarXJL15; 03-28-2024 at 03:31 PM.
Old 03-28-2024, 02:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 513 Likes on 413 Posts

My 2013 SuperSport started running hard and after installing new Michelin SuperSport tires was smoother, but the real fix was replacing all the 4 shocks with Bilstein ((they are OEM) that i purchased off or Rock Auto. BTW I had 125k on the Jag when it got totaled being hit by a box truck abd driven into an suv in front of me.

Old 03-28-2024, 04:39 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm running Michelin Pilot Sport 4S on Fort Worth's smashed roads and I absolutely love them. They're a little soft, and pricey, but I like them more than the factory P-Zeros.

QP7 (03-28-2024)
Old 03-28-2024, 04:40 PM

and I'm running 295/30/20 out back and 265/35/20 up front.

QP7 (03-28-2024)
Old 03-29-2024, 05:16 AM
QP7

Originally Posted by JaguarXJL15
I especially don't like the 20" wheels over damaged road pot holes bumps feels like the car is going to get damaged or fall apart feels harsh even tho I have brand new continental extreme contact tires
Really smooth when cruising on new roads and sharp turns but be prepared when on bad roads your car will feel like a JACK HAMMER

Which Extreme Contacts are those - the new Sport 02 or the DWS 06 Plus or which Extreme Contacts? The DWS 06 Plus are better for a more compliant ride, but I'd be very interested to know which ones.

If you can find a set of Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus II and at least switch out the fronts (I could not find rears to fit) you will be amazed at the difference. Trust me, I've put them on 2 of my cars and its amazing how smooth and soft they ride. Sadly; they don't make them in full production any more as the new P7 AS Plus 3 came in, i hear for slightly better snow. I have been told the Pirelli Scorpion AS Plus 3 are incredible too, but they have a very high load rating so will have firmer sidewalls. Now as one shrewd poster XJsss stated, changing the shocks in the manner you desire will help even more... - and most of all changing to 18 inch wheels...

Last edited by QP7; 03-29-2024 at 05:33 AM.
Old 03-29-2024, 05:22 AM
QP7

Originally Posted by AaronP220
I'm running Michelin Pilot Sport 4S on Fort Worth's smashed roads and I absolutely love them. They're a little soft, and pricey, but I like them more than the factory P-Zeros.
WOW....

That is amazing to hear and on those low profiles. (jealous of your 295's!!! - on stock wheels???) I looked at the Pilot Sport 4S, as it is of course a legendary tire, and the reviews were they were much firmer than the Pirelli P7 Cinturato AS Plus II, as a grand touring tire. You have me tempted now, as I love the sporting feel. I may also look at the new Extreme Contact Sport 02 as their reviews are, believe it or not, a touch softer than the Pilot Sport 4S.

Would also be interested to hear more about your CAI and pulleys....

Just saw the pic of your car? Looks great. Would love to see more...

Last edited by QP7; 03-29-2024 at 05:32 AM.
Old 03-29-2024, 07:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,249 Likes on 1,774 Posts

Surprised that Discount Tire will offer their road hazard warranty on tires that were not purchased from them?
I did not know that was possible.

lotusespritse (03-29-2024)
Old 03-29-2024, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by QP7
WOW....

That is amazing to hear and on those low profiles. (jealous of your 295's!!! - on stock wheels???) I looked at the Pilot Sport 4S, as it is of course a legendary tire, and the reviews were they were much firmer than the Pirelli P7 Cinturato AS Plus II, as a grand touring tire. You have me tempted now, as I love the sporting feel. I may also look at the new Extreme Contact Sport 02 as their reviews are, believe it or not, a touch softer than the Pilot Sport 4S.

Would also be interested to hear more about your CAI and pulleys....

Just saw the pic of your car? Looks great. Would love to see more...
Yes, it’s 295’s on the factory 20’s. I run them at 34 PSI on all 4 corners. I’ve only had this car for about a year - I inherited it when my dad passed away but he’s owned it since new. When I got it I went to the 4S’s from well worn factory Pirelli. Them being near the end of their tread life and and well into their years probably had something to do with their negative feeling. I put 4Ss all around when I got the car and the guy at Discount said that if I minded the pressure and was really nice to them I would be lucky to get 10,000 miles out of them. Since it’s not a daily driver I’m actually okay with that.

The pulleys were installed when my dad was still alive. I believe they’re Mina and then he had the car tuned. That’s about the depth of my knowledge on that. The CAI is something I’m “custom building” based off the Mina CAI but I’m making it out of carbon fiber. It’s still being laid out in CAD before I put it in the CNC and cut it.

QP7 (03-29-2024)
Old 03-31-2024, 11:41 AM
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by QP7
Which Extreme Contacts are those - the new Sport 02 or the DWS 06 Plus or which Extreme Contacts? The DWS 06 Plus are better for a more compliant ride, but I'd be very interested to know which ones.

If you can find a set of Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus II and at least switch out the fronts (I could not find rears to fit) you will be amazed at the difference. Trust me, I've put them on 2 of my cars and its amazing how smooth and soft they ride. Sadly; they don't make them in full production any more as the new P7 AS Plus 3 came in, i hear for slightly better snow. I have been told the Pirelli Scorpion AS Plus 3 are incredible too, but they have a very high load rating so will have firmer sidewalls. Now as one shrewd poster XJsss stated, changing the shocks in the manner you desire will help even more... - and most of all changing to 18 inch wheels...

I have the Sport 02 on the front and the DWS 06 Plus on the rear the rears are at half tread and the fronts are brand new also I set the tire KPA on 250 PSI 35

QP7 (04-02-2024)

Quick Reply: Tires on 2016 XJL