XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Upgraded Inter-Cooler for 5.0L/3.0L SC?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2019, 11:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,217 Likes on 1,754 Posts
Default Upgraded Inter-Cooler for 5.0L/3.0L SC?

I have tuned my 2014 XJR but have been warned that adding the lower pulley will push the car to much and I will run into heat problems since I live in a hot part of the country.
Found out that the 5.0L and 3.0L on the F-Type, XK, XJ and XF ALL use the same inter-cooler.
See EuroToys ad here;
Inter-cooler Upgrade

Has anyone added this to their XJ? It looks like Paramount Performance makes it in the UK.
Inter-Cooler
I am hoping this will solve the heat problems and allow me to add the lower pulley but not sure.

I have E-mailed Stuart at VAP who provided my tune to see what he thinks.

Old 01-29-2019, 01:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 526 Likes on 371 Posts

I am fully tuned and pullied but haven't had the opportunity to drive in LA summer heat yet. I'm hoping I won't run into any trouble since I don't track or anything like that.

Here's a thread about upgrading the charge pump which would be a nice intermediate upgrade before going full hog with the new radiator.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...pgrade-152574/

I'm not 100% sure the parts would be same however because his is a 2010 model and our 2014s may have changed some things around.

Old 01-29-2019, 02:09 PM
Veteran Member

I was worried about the fit to.
Checking stock Jaguar part numbers seem to confirm they all used the same unit. Plus Eurotoys lists it as 2010+ .
But they do say contact them with your VIN to verify fitment so that says there must be differences somewhere.

Old 01-29-2019, 04:30 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

One of the tricks that I have seen for the short term hard pulls is to mount up a CO2 kit to the car. In short, you have a bottle of CO2 mounted in the car with a solenoid to control the flow of gas. You then mount a ring in front of the intercooler (not in). Then, as you do a hard pull, you can flip a switch and dump liquid CO2 in front of the intercooler. The phase conversion of the CO2 from liquid to gas causes a very large temperature drop which will cool off the air going into the engine. The kits are fairly cheap to install.

Old 01-30-2019, 12:30 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks XJ8JR! I think I will add the Bosch IC pump first. Forgot about that one!
Can't find any numbers or power improvements but it is a higher flowing pump and Big Will has a nice set of instructions too.

Old 01-30-2019, 07:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have put the Paramount Performance upgrade on. haven't put the lower pulley on yet, does have high flow cats from VelocityAP and upper pulley and tune from Viezu.
Facebook Post

Old 01-30-2019, 07:30 PM

Facebook Post

Old 01-31-2019, 08:20 AM
Veteran Member

Looks good but you don't say what car it's for?
I "think" you have the earlier model since you have 04XJR in your user name?

It's great that you posted and I hope you can report back what you think about it.
Very expensive at about $1500 just for the inter-cooler but it is very nice quality.
Why did you add it? Are you having any heat soak problems? Do you monitor the IAT's? Especially IAT2 which is the most important for blower cars.

I am looking for a phone app to watch temperatures. But the best app seems to be Torque for Android and I have an Iphone.

One suggestion? DON'T use facebook or photo bucket on any junk tech company crap. Please post everything directly to the forum. No links!
You can see the destruction these rip off tech companies have done on this forum alone. Hundreds of threads with kittens licking their fur instead of the pictures that should be there!
They should be prosecuted for the theft they do everyday!

Last edited by clubairth1; 01-31-2019 at 08:38 AM.
Old 01-31-2019, 01:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 526 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by clubairth1
Hundreds of threads with kittens licking their fur instead of the pictures that should be there!
Hahahah!

Old 02-01-2019, 05:42 AM

Looks good but you don't say what car it's for?
I "think" you have the earlier model since you have 04XJR in your user name?

It's great that you posted and I hope you can report back what you think about it.
Very expensive at about $1500 just for the inter-cooler but it is very nice quality.
Why did you add it? Are you having any heat soak problems? Do you monitor the IAT's? Especially IAT2 which is the most important for blower cars.

I am looking for a phone app to watch temperatures. But the best app seems to be Torque for Android and I have an Iphone.

One suggestion? DON'T use facebook or photo bucket on any junk tech company crap. Please post everything directly to the forum. No links!
You can see the destruction these rip off tech companies have done on this forum alone. Hundreds of threads with kittens licking their fur instead of the pictures that should be there!
They should be prosecuted for the theft they do everyday!
2011 XJ Supercharged

Old 02-01-2019, 10:08 AM
Veteran Member

Sorry I got confused.
Did you have a problem with heat soak?
I want to get the inter-cooler but for $1500 I was hoping for some real world results before I ordered it.

Old 02-07-2019, 04:54 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Clubairth1,

I am sorry to contaminate your post, but it seems this is the only post that gathers most owners with ECU tuned XJ. Like you I have UPed the XJ to 605bhp with VAP Tune, but no pullies yet. Do you think if the stock hardware is handling the power good enough since you track it a bit? Like the brakes and inter-cooler etc? I am wondering if I need further hardware upgrade for whatever reasons.

Old 02-07-2019, 12:13 PM
Veteran Member

You ask very good questions!!

Yes. All I have read says Jaguar designed a lot more power in than we currently have. Apparently so they can have years of upgrades out of the same engine. But who knows? I have found any modern DI engine can gain a lot of power with a tune alone. The 8 speed ZF is just perfect and is used on much higher HP cars like the Hellcat/Demon so that says something about what it can take.
I really love the suspension and at speed it just feels right.

The brakes are top notch and I felt always in control. I mean they are 15.5" disc's on the front!
I have changed the pads to Porterfield CF/Kevlar but only for dusting reasons.

The inter-cooler I can't answer. The car never fell on it's face like my old 2005 STR did when it got hot. Our in-dash temperature gauge is pretty worthless but at least it never showed any increase. So I don't know where I stand right now.
But I am working on that!

Cambo just posted some Jaguar specific add ins for the Torque Pro app on Android devices. I am all Iphone stuff.
So got a cheap 8" Android tablet coming I bought for $80 on Ebay, Tourque Pro is less than $10. I already have several Wi-Fi and BT OBD ELM 327 dongles.
Plan to get a windshield mount for the 8" tablet for real time use.

With these new monitors I can now see real time IAT2's and Boost. This will tell me if I am close on heat problems. Plus see if any changes actually lower the temperature any.
I want to add the bigger inter-cooler and a lower pulley. I have just got the Bosch pump and will install that soon.

Old 02-07-2019, 03:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,114 Likes on 2,297 Posts

Yes. All I have read says Jaguar designed a lot more power in than we currently have. Apparently so they can have years of upgrades out of the same engine. But who knows? I have found any modern DI engine can gain a lot of power with a tune alone. The 8 speed ZF is just perfect and is used on much higher HP cars like the Hellcat/Demon so that says something about what it can take.

The brakes are top notch and I felt always in control. I mean they are 15.5" disc's on the front!

The inter-cooler I can't answer. The car never fell on it's face like my old 2005 STR did when it got hot. Our in-dash temperature gauge is pretty worthless but at least it never showed any increase. So I don't know where I stand right now.

Cambo just posted some Jaguar specific add ins for the Torque Pro app on Android devices. I am all Iphone stuff.
So got a cheap 8" Android tablet coming I bought for $80 on Ebay, Tourque Pro is less than $10. I already have several Wi-Fi and BT OBD ELM 327 dongles.

With these new monitors I can now see real time IAT2's and Boost. This will tell me if I am close on heat problems. Plus see if any changes actually lower the temperature any.
I want to add the bigger inter-cooler and a lower pulley. I have just got the Bosch pump and will install that soon.
I'm not so sure about the standard ZF 8 speed box being able to handle a highly tuned AJ133 SC.
The box in Jags is the ZF 8HP70, and the 70 signifies it is rated for max torque of 700 Nm.
More powerful cars like the Hellcat/Demon would use the higher rated 8HP90 box (900 Nm).
I also understand that the Jag TCU (Transmission Control Unit) "reads" how much torque is being developed and if it detects excessive amounts of torque (ie above spec) it instructs the PCM (Power Control Module, ie the ECU) to dial things back a bit.
So you won't blow up the gearbox by tuning the AJ133 SC for much more torque because you won't be putting all that extra torque through the gearbox anyway.

Old 02-07-2019, 08:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 512 Likes on 413 Posts

So that works out to a max of 516 lbf⋅ft torque for the 8HP70 as fitted. And haven't heard of an XJ or F-type blowing up a trans yet.

Last edited by XJsss; 02-07-2019 at 08:07 PM.
Old 02-08-2019, 06:05 PM
Veteran Member

That's a good point as it is upgraded for higher power. But we don't have anyone breaking them on the F-Type forum and some of those guys are running in the mid to low 10 second quarters.
I use the F-Type forum as a testing ground because they push their cars harder than anyone else.

Old 02-09-2019, 04:01 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks Clubairth1, good to know that the brakes are stopping the XJ nicely on track, we have the same brakes so I should be good too.
I live in Hong Kong which is as hot if not hotter than LA, but I don't track it, so perhaps I don't need inter-cooler upgrade, although the inter-cooler from paramount looks so nice.