XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Which video formats work with the RSE? 2010, B&W System

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 01:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which video formats work with the RSE? 2010, B&W System

Hi,

Which video formats work with the rear seat entertainment system in a 2010 Jaguar with the Bowers and Wilkins system?

I had some mkv's that I tried to play but they didn't even show up. Then I converted an mkv with some free video converter software and it would play fine on my computer, it would even show up in the car, but I got a message saying I couldn't play it in the car for some reason

Hope someone can help

Old 07-27-2013, 04:44 PM
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

This topic has come up before on the forum so you may be able to find some other posts that will help. On my 2012 model with RSE and the B&W top end system I've found that DIVX works in the back. My son has converted quite a few DVDs to DIVX and put them on a 32GB USB stick which he plugs into the USB port in the rear armrest. Very annoyingly that same stick isn't recognised by the front USB port. I can't find any video format that is recognised by the front USB port so can only use DVD if you want to feed a video source to front and rear.

Old 07-28-2013, 08:52 AM
Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

I've always been bothered that you can use the front USB to drive the rear screens or use the back USB to drive the front screen. What if you are parked somewhere and the passenger in the front want to use USB device connected in the back to drive all the screens. Also are dual view screens ever going to make it to America? Mercedes has the split view which is basically the same thing. But to answer you question which has been answered before the system will only recognize MP4's and Avi's.

Old 07-28-2013, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by PrivateFlyer
This topic has come up before on the forum so you may be able to find some other posts that will help. On my 2012 model with RSE and the B&W top end system I've found that DIVX works in the back. My son has converted quite a few DVDs to DIVX and put them on a 32GB USB stick which he plugs into the USB port in the rear armrest. Very annoyingly that same stick isn't recognised by the front USB port. I can't find any video format that is recognised by the front USB port so can only use DVD if you want to feed a video source to front and rear.
Great thanks I will try and find a good free converter now that does the job

Originally Posted by ExpatJag
I've always been bothered that you can use the front USB to drive the rear screens or use the back USB to drive the front screen. What if you are parked somewhere and the passenger in the front want to use USB device connected in the back to drive all the screens. Also are dual view screens ever going to make it to America? Mercedes has the split view which is basically the same thing. But to answer you question which has been answered before the system will only recognize MP4's and Avi's.
Alright thanks for the info

Yeah the way the USB stick is only recognised in the 'area' it is plugged into does seem odd. I assume it wouldn't be that hard to have made it so they are both recognised in the front and back systems

I didn't know that America didn't get the dual view, that's also odd haha

Old 07-28-2013, 09:16 AM

We have some dumb laws that have not been updated that does not allow an entertainment display in the front unless the car is parked for fear that the driver will be watching it instead of focusing on the road. Now that same driver is texting and liking comments on their Facebook. lol

Old 07-28-2013, 09:18 AM

We have some dumb laws that have not been updated that does not allow an entertainment display in the front unless the car is parked for fear that the driver will be watching it instead of focusing on the road. Now that same driver is texting and liking comments on their Facebook. lol
Hahaaaa, oh well, the law might get updated at some point

Old 07-28-2013, 09:23 AM

Well what is weird is its state dependent and Mercedes sales their Splitview system in the US so I'm not sure why Jaguar didn't sale theres in the states that it is allowed. The great thing about the dual view system is that driver can't see it unless he physically leans over into the passenger seat due to how its designed. Most people just defeat the mechanism that stops the display while its driving anyways. I'm in Germany and it's legal here but because I have a US Spec car they wouldnt install it. Epic Fail!!

Old 07-28-2013, 09:27 AM

Well what is weird is its state dependent and Mercedes sales their Splitview system in the US so I'm not sure why Jaguar didn't sale theres in the states that it is allowed. The great thing about the dual view system is that driver can't see it unless he physically leans over into the passenger seat due to how its designed. Most people just defeat the mechanism that stops the display while its driving anyways. I'm in Germany and it's legal here but because I have a US Spec car they wouldnt install it. Epic Fail!!
Ahh that's no good. Should have got a UK spec car haha

Yeah I have read online about a lot of people disabling that part of the system in various cars so it thinks you're sitting still

Old 07-28-2013, 12:28 PM

Well I've tried converting a file from mkv to avi using AVS video converter and it works fine on my computer, it shows up in the car, don't get any error messages but it just doesn't play, it stays on 0:00 and is apparently the playing

Then I tested it in the front and got a 'device error' when trying to access the USB stick.

Think it is just going to take some trial and error to find a format that works as there's a lot of options to choose on the video converter even after selecting avi