XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Water Pump Blues!

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2018, 11:27 AM
Received 89 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by agentorange
Is that all? Dealer here in Vegas told me it was nearer a $2k job due to the presence of the supercharger.

My 2012 XJ needed a new motor after a catastrophic pump failure on the interstate. I dumped it after the engine had been in and out twice. I'm still debating if I will replace it with another or go to another brand.
Ouch! Thats a lot of dough for a job that only takes a couple of hours with the right tools. The super charger is not that hard to remove once you get the belt off and have an engine hoist to remove it as the dowels underneath get corroded and can get stuck very easily. I also put new gaskets in as per Brutals recommendation as I did not want to have to deal with that again after putting everything back together. Unfortunatley the cross over pipe i got was exactly like the previous one with the seams so it would seem like i may have to do this job again if i still have the car in the future.

Old 08-03-2018, 09:46 AM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Originally Posted by etaent
ouch! Thats a lot of dough for a job that only takes a couple of hours with the right tools. The super charger is not that hard to remove once you get the belt off and have an engine hoist to remove it as the dowels underneath get corroded and can get stuck very easily. I also put new gaskets in as per brutals recommendation as i did not want to have to deal with that again after putting everything back together. Unfortunatley the cross over pipe i got was exactly like the previous one with the seams so it would seem like i may have to do this job again if i still have the car in the future.
did you just replace the lower pipe?? If so thats why you got a seemed one. I always replace both upper and lower. You have to udate the whole assembly you cannot use the old and new style together

Old 08-04-2018, 01:28 PM
Received 89 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Brutal
did you just replace the lower pipe?? If so thats why you got a seemed one. I always replace both upper and lower. You have to udate the whole assembly you cannot use the old and new style together
Yes i replaced the lower pipe shaped like an upside down Y that is underneath the supercharger. It is just like the old one with seams.

Old 08-06-2018, 09:02 AM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

You should have replaced the upper portion also was why i asked if you only replaced the lower outlet pipe. They are both the same age and if the lower is leaking the upper is soon to follow

Old 08-06-2018, 08:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,141 Likes on 3,384 Posts
Default Another Water Pump Diagram

I never thought that a water pump would make me laugh, but I was wrong.

It's easy to spot a coolant leak because it's yellow.

The following users liked this post:
Angus (08-07-2018)