XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

moving on from CTS-V Wagon

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2018, 01:26 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default moving on from CTS-V Wagon

Howdy all,

Recently lost my unicorn, 2012 CTS-V WAGON, due to theft. It was recovered about a week later, but had been chopped and parted.

Considering a 2014 XJ-R with 49K miles. Aside from possible water pump, are there any other known issues I should check to see if have been addressed by previous owner? Carfax looks clean, with fairly regular service by their local Jag dealer.

Hard to decide what to get when you weren't planning on buying at the moment. From what I can tell, the a supercharged XJ is the only thing comparable to CTS-V as far as performance goes, and for about the same money.

My parents have a 2011 XJ 5.0, with 97,000 miles on it. To my knowledge they have had only minimal issues so I'm encouraged to go ahead and try to secure the 2014 XJR.

I welcome any thoughts/opinions. Have been a member of a very similar forum for V owners and found it a great source of HOW-TO as well as general fun conversation.

Thanks,
Matt - Katy, TX.

Old 07-30-2018, 01:38 PM
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Im sorry to hear about the loss of a Vnicorn. That really sucks.

I love my 5.0 SC, so I can only imagine youd enjoy the XJR even more. I like to describe it as the gentleman's muscle car. Ive never had a car ride like this, its fantastic. I dont have as much experience with the magnetic ride from your caddy though, so it might be a close race.

Have you driven one yet?

Old 07-30-2018, 01:50 PM

Other than driving my parents 2011 model, no. I haven't driven the R yet.

As far as the mag ride in the V-series, it was not the pillow-soft Cadillac ride that you would expect. The way it's tuned in the V is much more firm, even in touring mode. Overall though, the GM mag-ride system is fantastic, which explains why other makes continue to license its use on their performance models.

My only real complaint with the V was the road noise. They are not insulated as well as I think a luxury car should be, and the performance tires don't help any either.

I expect the XJ-R will ride a bit more firm than my folks' n/a XJ, but should be softer and quieter than the V was.

-Matt

Old 07-30-2018, 02:17 PM
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

It is quite a soft and compliant ride, but it is not floaty or "wallowy" like i felt my W219 AMG was. And you can definitely feel the change between dynamic and normal modes. I only really feel bouncy at all when I really push it around some poorly banked or notchy corners. Even on 21s the ride is fantastic, and it seriously lulls you into thinking you are going much slower than you are. I think this might be the best riding car, with minimal handling sacrifices, that i have ever had. Road noise is maybe a touch louder than the Benz, but that might be tires, Hankook vs. Michelins.

Old 07-30-2018, 03:33 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

How much are they asking for the 14 XJ?

I recently was considering switching to Cadillac. One HUGE different you will notice is in the XJ you are surrounded by leather while in the Caddy you are surrounded by plastic.

Old 07-30-2018, 03:52 PM

2014 XJ R LWB - dealer asking $43,995
49k miles.

I'll probably offer $37 and see what they say.

Old 07-30-2018, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by Matt ***
2014 XJ R LWB - dealer asking $43,995
49k miles.

I'll probably offer $37 and see what they say.
Way overpriced I would offer no more than $30k. I paid $42k for my loaded 14 XJL AWD 2 years ago with under 12k miles (and 2 full years of factory warranty left). I promise you this car has been sitting and will continue to sit on their lot. Don't forget it is out of warranty too as well as being 5 model years old.

Old 07-30-2018, 05:47 PM

I agree it’s high. But a bit of apples to oranges if you’re comparing an XJL vs XJL-R, isn’t it?

Last edited by Matt Cox; 07-30-2018 at 05:55 PM.
Old 07-30-2018, 06:18 PM
Received 64 Likes on 53 Posts

Howdy all,

Recently lost my unicorn, 2012 CTS-V WAGON, due to theft. It was recovered about a week later, but had been chopped and parted.

Considering a 2014 XJ-R with 49K miles. Aside from possible water pump, are there any other known issues I should check to see if have been addressed by previous owner? Carfax looks clean, with fairly regular service by their local Jag dealer.

Hard to decide what to get when you weren't planning on buying at the moment. From what I can tell, the a supercharged XJ is the only thing comparable to CTS-V as far as performance goes, and for about the same money.

My parents have a 2011 XJ 5.0, with 97,000 miles on it. To my knowledge they have had only minimal issues so I'm encouraged to go ahead and try to secure the 2014 XJR.

I welcome any thoughts/opinions. Have been a member of a very similar forum for V owners and found it a great source of HOW-TO as well as general fun conversation.

Thanks,
Matt - Katy, TX.
First, sorry about the Unicorn being stolen - that sucks.

The XJ-R has a smaller but equally powerful brother: the XF-RS. That year the XF, XK, XJ, and F all had the same engine offered. The cars *are* fast. I've driven every single one. The CTS-V is a bit clunkier in my opinion having driven it a bunch as well along with all of its import contenders. From the Jags, the F is clearly the fastest but the XJ is not bad considering it was all aluminum (IIRC) that year. I'm not a big fan of the dash either on an XJ vs the other R models.

I was impressed with the XJR out on the Miami Speedway track. It was very nimble but it was a bit big for me. Considering I wanted a sedan, the XF was better suited so that's what I bought. All said, you'd have fun in the XJ but like the V-wagon however no one is going to notice you.

A big negative for our cars is massive declining value. The price you quoted seems a bit low for an XJR but if it's right it's not bad. You might want to check in to a car that has an extended (CPO?) warranty. In a few years you might be paying to get rid of the XJ...

HTH

Old 07-30-2018, 06:24 PM

I agree it’s high. But a bit of apples to oranges if you’re comparing an XJL vs XJL-R, isn’t it?
True but there isn't that much price difference. The secondary market is the secondary market. You give up AWD for the R which somewhat equalizes value. I doubt that dealer paid anymore for it than he would any other 14 XJ.

Not many people out there would pay $45k for an out of warranty used car. Especially a used Jag as expensive as they are to repair. New engine is $35k. Suspension is $5k. Jeez headlights are almost $3k!

The price is the price if you want it but I have no doubt there is no list of serious buyers for that car. If you don't buy it it could sit on that lot for years. They may never unload it. Negotiate with that in mind. Tell him you are concerned about the V8 blowing up you hear a lot of them do. Also say you really want AWD so the R is a serious compromise. Slow play this for sure! I wish you well but hate to see someone overpay.

Old 07-30-2018, 06:37 PM

Thank you both for your input, I’ll consider all points during any negotiation. I’m in no rush to buy, as I have a Silverado pickup to daily drive until I find the right car for me to replace the V.

Old 08-01-2018, 08:03 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are looking for an XJR you should check mine out! Its cheaper and I have all the service records.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/p...r-trim-204819/

Old 08-01-2018, 08:22 AM

I'll check it out, thanks!
Would you mind sending me the VIN here or in PM?

Old 08-01-2018, 08:31 AM

sending pm

Old 08-01-2018, 05:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,141 Likes on 3,384 Posts

Never, ever, rely on CarFax, AutoCheck, et. al., to buy a motor vehicle. Not all accidents or other histories are reported to them. They're useful only to weed out the reported clunkers.

Buyer Beware always - even if the seller is an authorized Jaguar dealer and CPO vehicle.

Old 08-03-2018, 08:59 PM

I’ve been delighted with my SC 5.0.

Its actually sportier to drive than my ‘12 550i M-sport 6-Speed was!

Very luxurious interiors.

Get a CPO car... Jag will go 7-years from the in-service date if you ask for it. The CPO protects you and resale value.

I figure I won’t have any with my car until December of 2021. The Jaguar dealer might have problems, but I won’t!

Beware that a “tune” is easily detected, even if it’s been removed, and will torch the CPO.

Old 08-07-2018, 11:29 AM

Thank you, everyone, for all the info. I picked up a 2014 XJR-LWB, Stratus Gray, with Ivory interior. Loving it so far.

Old 08-07-2018, 11:46 AM

Thank you, everyone, for all the info. I picked up a 2014 XJR-LWB, Stratus Gray, with Ivory interior. Loving it so far.
Congrats!!!! Would you mind telling me what you ended up paying for it curious how mine stands in regards to my asking price.