XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Water pump replacement- now water thin oil leak??

Old 01-09-2018, 03:41 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Exclamation Water pump replacement- now water thin oil leak??

So the original water pump on my 2012 s/c XJL with 49k miles went out a few weeks ago.I have the extended warranty for it and the dealer replaced it- model numberAJ813909.

I haven’teven driven enough (~300miles) to burn a full tank of gas through it and when Ilooked on my garage floor yesterday after work there was a silver dollarsize blotch of oil on my garage floor. When I put my finger in it to check itout, it was thin....like real thin. I’ve smelled antifreeze a few times since Igot it back from the dealership but fully assumed it was just run-off from therepair. It looks like water could be in the oil? The antifreeze reservoir tanklooked a little dark in color as well but I couldn’t pull off the cap to check it as theengine was still hot. I'll look at it when I get home (no I'm not driving it).

It runsperfect, sounds perfect and there’s no codes/lights. I will say that I thinkthe leak JUST started because there was NO oil on the ground when I left work. I’malmost positive it started somewhere on the 23mile drive home.

Anythoughts/ideas?

Old 01-09-2018, 04:05 PM
Received 170 Likes on 160 Posts

If it overheated it could easily have blown a head gasket. That would put antifreeze in your oil. Turn it on and check the oil level. If it's high you could have a problem other than a bad waterpump. I had a shop put the head gaskets on upside down on one of mine. I started running hot on the way to work one night. I checked the tank when I got there and it was empty. No sign of a leak so I pulled the dipstick. My oil was like melted milk chocolate, kind of a tan color. The shop redid the job at no cost to me and the engine ran fine. It's got 200,000 miles on it now.

Another car blew a head gasket and I kept losing antifreeze. I put 15 pounds of pressure on the system. It dropped two pounds and then stayed there. I pulled the spark plugs and found antifreeze in the #4 cylinder. The antifreeze was being blown out the tailpipe.

If your not losing antifreeze and your oil level reads okay, I assume what you found was just water that has washed some oil off the block. It's been raining the last couple days here and I would not be surprised to see that with my cars. Keep an eye on your gauges and drive it. If you have a problem it will leave you no doubt. Since you have the warranty, you don't have a huge bill waiting for you yet.

Old 01-09-2018, 04:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Be careful not to run out of oil, so monitor oil level religiously.

Oil leak by itself is no dangerous (but annoying). It is hard to diagnose just based on that. If you are still under extended warranty, bring it in ask them to investigate.

Whatever they tell you, get it in writing. Even if it is 0$ invoice, make sure you have complaint and their investigative actions recorded accurately.

Old 01-09-2018, 05:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,423 Likes on 1,936 Posts

Question is - what is dismantled to replace the water pump ? There is a transmission fluid cooler in there somewhere. If the lines for this have to be disconnected to get at the water pump, maybe a little bit of tranny fluid dripped somewhere.

Old 01-09-2018, 05:12 PM

After thinking about it further I wonder if it’s A/C condensation running over an oily/dirty part of the repair area before landing on my garage floor? I’ve only needed the heater since I picked it up- until yesterday, I ran the A/C a little bit. That would explain why its just now appearing. I THINK/hope I just answered my own question.

Thanks for the input gents!

Old 01-10-2018, 04:16 PM

Quick update- turns out that I had just ran the car through a brushless car wash that also sprays the undercarriage. The car wash to my garage is literally less than a mile. So, must have been water still dripping from the undercarriage where there was some residual oil/grease.

No leaks, no overheating, etc- car is absolutely fine.

Appreciate the feedback though!

Old 11-25-2018, 07:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 361 Posts

Damn “related articles”!

Old 04-13-2019, 09:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thank

Hey thanks for the reply , I did a lot of research but no luck on that elbow fitting itself or that tube that is connected to it .. hopefully jaguar can sell me something to fix it without having to buy a set

Old 07-10-2019, 07:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 342 Likes on 296 Posts

Does anybody know at this point what the OE pump looks like? Motorcarman?

There has always been this metal/ plastic debate ... many are plastic w/o any problems and they can make them with complex shapes economically.