XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Where do you go from bespoke XJ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 12:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts
Default Where do you go from bespoke XJ?

I currently own a '12 XF Portfolio and plan on a XJSC/R down the road.

Then it got me thinking.......What do you replace one of the most ostentatious cars with that is at the top of the food chain like the XJ?

The only upgrade from there is going to be either a Bentley or Rolls Royce.

I realize that those cars may be out of the budget, but the good thing is, rumor has it Bentley may be releasing a 4 door coupe (like a CLS, Grandcoupe M6) in the price range of $100,000 -150,000 in 2017. Bentley Plots Four-Door Coupe

Anyways, to conclude it all, what will you replace your XJ with? Will it be another Jaguar?

Old 09-25-2013, 01:56 PM
Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

I'm with you on that, mate. I have given it some thought and have come to the realization that I really do not like any other car out there besides the Jag XJ(L).
The Bentleys and Rolls are nice cars for sure, but besides the price point, they just don't excite me the way the Jag does.

I do like the sports cars like the Ferraris and Astons, but I'm not in that price point and even if the day does come when I'm in that range, I think by then I really won't care too much about those cars; I'm pretty sure that I will still be in love with the XJs and won't want anything else.

Old 09-25-2013, 03:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 205 Likes on 188 Posts

ive given it a lot of thought as well.

I almost considered getting an S-Class....but i drove it and was disappointed. I am considering getting a 7 Series....but my wife and I preferred the Jag more.

I am in love with the 6 series....especially its interior....so its a toss up between the 6 coupe/GC or even an M6 if things work out well. but at the same time i find the need for a 5 seater...so its up in the air.

I did think about maybe a Bentley, its a nice to have...but doesnt give me the same feeling as the Jag. the Aston is out of my league at the moment.

Old 09-25-2013, 03:50 PM
Veteran Member

Seems like we all have similar tastes.

GC BMW is my favorite out of the line-up, mostly because of it's interior.

Bentleys and Rolls Royces surely do have the thrust like no other car even when so heavy, but the driving dynamics may not be there. The rumor of smaller, lighter coupe with the flying B does sound nice.....really sparked an interest in me.

Old 09-25-2013, 09:48 PM
Received 69 Likes on 57 Posts

Hi,

I own a top-of-the-line 2009 Super V8 Portfolio with all of the options available at that time.

I had been thinking the same thing about where do I go from here? The thing is my first love and last love will probably always be Jaguars.

One thing that I am seriously considering doing is having my car shipped to the Arden Works Tuning in Krefeld, Germany and having them install the AJ 19 "Noble Cat" body kit program. This includes modified front bumper with LED's, Arden upper and lower grill, Jaguar removable leaper, rear diffuser, and 21" Sport-line wheels.

Arden also has a Saddlery shop where they can hand-stitch connolly leather to match your wishes or dreams. I am looking at having them do the following interior items in a medium brown color which will match the brown oak wood... Steering Wheel // Floormats trim // door speaker areas // and the entire boot area.

Arden can do other things to the car like performance mufflers and engine tuning.

At the end of all of the above, you get a neat certificate, which would certify the car as an Arden original. Fully done Arden cars are rare and take the car to the next level.

They have this same type of program for XJ (X351) models.

Just something to consider.

Last edited by BrownRobin; 09-25-2013 at 09:54 PM.
Old 09-26-2013, 02:06 PM
Veteran Member

i lease cars so that i can be in a new/different car every 3 years. i get bored really quickly and like to have the latest and greatest.

i will be replacing my XJ next year, and im not sure what i would do. Im not a fan of leaving one car to get back into the same car. i did it once, but only because each one was a 2 year lease and i got an awesome deal.

i might add an f-type to the stable as a third car...keeping me in the jaguar loyalty and allowing me to replace the XJ with another car......or i might consider getting an XJR......i really do love the XJ...so who knows.

Old 09-27-2013, 12:17 PM
Veteran Member

Those are the great benefits of leasing cars.

The XJR would be a huge step up from the NA engine in your Portfolio. Supposed to be much more rigid. The only downside is you will have to get used to the stop/start.

Old 09-27-2013, 12:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

Good question that I have been wondering about myself. My XJL lease is only half way through and I am still not in love with the ride of my car so, I can not help but wonder what I would replace it with when the lease is up. Thus far, can not think of a car that would be better looking or more luxurious. If I could only find that the current version at the end of my lease would have a great ride, at least as good as my XF, the issue would be solved.

On a different note, when I stopped by the dealer yesterday, I saw this white XJL with all chrome, and even the C-pillar painted flat black. All windows blacked out to max. It had some awful-looking, ghetto 22" wheels, all flat black. I was kind of stunned how bad the car looked, in a cheap way. I asked the Manager as to who would do that to their XJL? He whispered to me the name of the owner - being one of the presently best known and highest paid NFL player. Oh well, at least he had a great taste in his initial selections, while leaving the mods to be highly debatable...

Albert

Old 10-02-2013, 08:29 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have been thinking about this quite a bit too. I love the XJ and the power of the blown engine and the styling but I am getting the itch to get something new. Drove a 13 S550 a couple of months ago and was not really impressed. 7 series are nice but again, I like my Jag more. Then I got a call last week offering a chance to drive the first 14 S550 in my area. All I can say is it is a total game changer. It is the smoothest, most comfortable car I have ever driven. The interior is much more attractive than the 2013 and it includes more standard equipment at a lower msrp. Very tempting. However, when I got back in my XJ and drove away my first thought was, wow, even after that I still love this car!

Old 10-03-2013, 09:50 AM
Veteran Member

with my lease ending the same weekend as my wedding, i think im going to get a lambo to replace it as a wedding gift for myself.

both me and my fiance are loving the 3 series, its pretty good as a daily driver/travel car, and i need to have a sports car as 1 of our cars.

Old 10-03-2013, 10:26 AM
Veteran Member

The all new S class is a great car. Don't know about driving dynamics, but an interior matches the $100,000 price tag now.

Lambo sounds nice! Which model?