XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Windshield Washer Fluid Reservoir Leaking

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 11:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,145 Likes on 3,385 Posts
Default Windshield Washer Fluid Reservoir Leaking

I searched this forum and couldn't find anyone else with a leaking washer fluid reservoir. I've refilled it repeatedly and within 15 minutes I get a low fluid warning on the message center, which I clear. I looked under the hood, but couldn't find any evidence of where it might be leaking.

Time to bring it in to my dealer for a CPO warranty repair.

Anyone else have a leaking washer fluid reservoir?

Stuart

Old 07-19-2015, 07:44 AM
Received 173 Likes on 130 Posts

My wife's '12 XJ leaks badly too, and I see evidence on the ground where it sets in the garage.
The coolant appears to leak from somewhere up by the right headlight, a little forward of where the washer fluid and is.
I haven't had time to isolate where it's coming from yet, and with the plastic underbody cover, it might be tough to locate.
But in our case, it's a slow leak that takes a little while to drain.

The following users liked this post:
mik22royal (01-17-2022)
Old 07-19-2015, 03:57 PM
Veteran Member

Is it coolant? If so, you could have a defective water pump, a known issue. I had mine replaced under warranty. Don't risk frying your engine; have your dealer check it asap.

If it's washer fluid, no harm done just a nuisance. I can't tell where mine is leaking from. I'll have my dealer check it next time I bring it in for service.

Old 07-20-2015, 08:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 513 Likes on 413 Posts

Washer reservoir is located in the right fender just to the rear of the wheel and is behind the side vent. It accessed by removing the right inner fender cover that surrounds the wheel.

poketastic (07-23-2017)
Old 07-20-2015, 12:07 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks. Since my car is still under warranty I'm not going to mess with it. The leak could be from any of several places including a crack in the reservoir bottle itself, the plastic tubing, and the fittings to the windshield washers and the headlight washers. I'll let the tech figure it out.

retriever-007 (10-22-2015)
Old 07-22-2015, 06:46 PM
Received 173 Likes on 130 Posts

I did get a chance to find the leak on ours.
It was at the connection to the passenger side headlight washer.
Easy enough to access and after cleaning it up and securing it, the drip went away.

It only took a few minutes and I didn't have to remove the wheel well cowl to get to it, just reached it from the top.

The following 2 users liked this post by 12jagmark:
poketastic (07-23-2017), retriever-007 (10-22-2015)
Old 07-22-2015, 08:30 PM
Veteran Member

That's good news - you got lucky!

Old 10-22-2015, 12:09 PM
Veteran Member

UPDATE: False Alarm

I finally got around to taking my car to the dealer for the recurring "Washer Fluid Low" warning light. Bottom line is that the technician couldn't find a leak anywhere, and my service advisor explained that the float valve in the reservoir can be triggered when the front of the car is on an uphill incline. He also explained that the washer reservoir is in 2 sections that snap together, but don't have a watertight seal at that point, so when you fill the tank to the very top it will slowly leak out at that joint and when you open the cap it will appear to need more fluid.

I decided to verify this while still at my dealer. I knew that the reservoir was filled to capacity, so I drove to the part of his parking lot that had a steep incline, parked, and then restarted the car. The warning light came on immediately, even though the reservoir was full. I opened the fill cap and it appeared to need more fluid, but I knew it was far from being empty.

Just another one of those things that makes Jaguar a Jaguar!

If this was helpful, please press at the bottom right.

Stuart

retriever-007 (10-22-2015)
Old 10-22-2015, 05:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 587 Likes on 360 Posts

I'm glad you seem to have got to the bottom of your warning. I have a 2010 model and I park it on a steep incline from time to time and I have never had a low fluid warning though, so keep an eye on it. If the washer fluid is leaking out it will find its way to the ground so it is easy to diagnose.

On the topic of washer system leaks, there are two common places for leaks on the X351s:

1) One or both headlamp washers can get stuck in a slightly open position, which due to their height relative to the washer reservoir will empty the it from full over a couple of days. They are a beggar to get to to check, but fluid typically drains out in front of the wheel on the side that is leaking if the car is on level ground.

2) The gasket seals where the pipes/pumps exit can fail completely draining the reservoir. The fluid will appear to drain from behind the front right wheel.

I had both failures on my car over a single year. The dealer indicated they had had a few in with the same symptoms.

The following 2 users liked this post by xdave:
poketastic (07-23-2017), Stuart S (10-22-2015)
Old 10-18-2016, 02:03 AM
moe
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaking from both headlight area

Windshield is leaking from both headlight area. what could cause it? any idea how much would it cost to repair?

uploaded the video. take a look

Old 10-18-2016, 02:17 AM
Veteran Member

Given the staining as well as the drip it looks like the headlamp washer jets have failed in the slightly open position. The jets are angled slightly downwards from the front so any leak at the open end will normally run back to the pipe before dripping.

It is normally caused by tiny bits of grit and dirt getting onto the plastic shaft that slides in and out which gradually prevents them sliding back in fully. You could try taking them off and thoroughly cleaning them and maybe greasing with a dry grease (e.g. PTFE). Don't use anything that will trap dirt. If that doesn't help replacement is in order. I'm not sure the age of your vehicle, but around V22229 they changed the design to try and avoid this.

The parts are C2D21521 for LH and C2D21520 for RH. The parts are around £100 each for trade export from the UK, but I am unsure what price you pay in Canada. US is about $200 from a dealer. If you want to import, a company called XJK in the UK will sell for £75 each + shipping for export (you won't pay VAT as you are outside the EU).

Getting to the jets for removal requires the bumper cover to come off. It's not very difficult, but is easier if you can lift the front of the car to remove the front wheels. Then just follow the edge of the bumper cover around the wheel arches and remove the bolts, doing the same for the front undertray which removes via three bolts and two screws level with the front of the wheels (not along the front edge). There are two hanging screws tucked in the far outer corners of each side (loosen the wheel arch liner and feel for them - one is right at the top and hangs vertically, the other is about 100mm below it and holds it horizontally). Lastly there are a row of bolts along the top edge above the grille. Then lift the top edge off at either end where it hangs and it will lift straight off. The harness connector is on the RH side and the washer hose is on the left. You'll need to disconnect both. refit is the reverse, but leave the top bolts till last as you use them to align the closing gap against the hood.

moe (10-18-2016)
Old 10-18-2016, 02:40 AM
moe
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Dave! How many hours of labour should it be?

Old 10-18-2016, 03:33 AM
Veteran Member

It shouldn't take more than 1 hour to remove and refit.

moe (01-18-2017)