XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

X351 production to END 2019

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2019, 06:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 219 Posts

I'll take luxury over power any day, but I know I'm in the minority in that respect. When we bought our XJL, we were coming out of a Rolls-Royce Silver Spur that had served us well for years. The rear picnic trays, although seldom used for anything, had grown on us to the point where a car without them looked rather naked. The only XJL our dealer had in stock at the time which featured the walnut trays in the rear was the 5.0 Supercharged that we purchased. That's a silly reason but it's the truth. So far as driving it, my wife is physically unable to drive anymore due to a massive stroke and I would have been just as happy with the 3.0 six cylinder. During my ownership, this car suffered a blown head gasket TWICE! Now, I'm sure there are people who will try to place the blame on me, saying I didn't stop at the first sign of overheating, or that the car was improperly maintained. I am not an idiot. This car was dealer maintained and driven sensibly. Of the sixty-five vehicles I have owned, this is the ONLY one that has ever had a problem of this sort, before or since. Obviously, this is extreme and I just happened to be the lucky fellow who ended up with it, but there was something inherently wrong with that car; not with me. On the second occurrence, my wife and I were out of town and, as beautiful as that car was, we made the decision to trade it "as is" on something else so we could come home and leave it behind us. If you've never been stranded with a dead car and a severely handicapped passenger you may not understand that thinking, but it's a decision I've never regretted. The new car? A Cadillac XTS with the 3.6 liter six cylinder standard engine. Not as powerful as the Jaguar but I wouldn't call it underpowered. Not as roomy but that's not really a big factor, and the comfort level of the ride is comparable. Interior ambiance isn't as good, but the optional Kona Brown interior upgrade does a lot to give it a richer look than the base trim. No, it doesn't have nearly the panache of the XJL but I absolutely love the fact that it has required no repairs in the sixteen months we've owned it. I've never really been a GM person, but I have no complaint with our Cadillac. It has given us something our Jaguar apparently couldn't: reliable, trouble-free service. For the record, I have no interest in owning an electric vehicle of any make or model and I sincerely hope to die before that's the only automotive option available.

Old 07-06-2019, 07:00 PM
Received 137 Likes on 116 Posts

@dga57 I am sorry about your negative experience with the marque. Even though I have not had good luck with GM products I am glad you found something that serves you well.

Old 07-07-2019, 02:14 AM
Received 140 Likes on 107 Posts

That is crappy, sorry. Last blown head gasket for me was on a Honda Civic (though it was cheap to fix). My Jag had its own list of issues, mostly related to it having an ICE (fuel injectors, timing chain, tensioners, supercharger). Admittedly Jaguar is not known for being good at electronics either. I guess we’ll see how things go with the ipace.

Old 07-07-2019, 07:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by AJ16er
@dga57 I am sorry about your negative experience with the marque. Even though I have not had good luck with GM products I am glad you found something that serves you well.
Despite my problems with the car, unlike many others on this forum, my dealer experience was phenomenal. The dealership is roughly 100 miles from where I live so on the first major problem a rollback picked my car up, the Service Department repaired it, and a rollback delivered it right back to my driveway. Everything was covered by warranty 100% and I was offered a loaner car which I declined because I have other vehicles and it was totally unnecessary. Repairs did stretch out to about five weeks but the Service Manager updated me frequently along the way. I got the definite impression that they DID care. Our first Jaguar (2004) was predominantly my wife's car and, while still somewhat problematic compared to other cars we'd owned, was far more reliable and we received the same great customer service. My experience with GM hasn't been perfect in the past either and, if we could have sourced one that met our criteria, we would have probably bought a Lincoln Continental instead. But, we were stranded out of town and shopping in a very centralized market. My wife adores a moonroof, we both wanted heated/ventilated seats, the trunk had to be large enough to accommodate a wheelchair, and (due to my Reynauld's Syndrome) I wasn't buying anything without a heated steering wheel. Our Cadillac is what we found and we've actually been quite pleased with it.

Old 07-07-2019, 08:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 733 Likes on 469 Posts

When the ICE goes away will the remaining XJ's become more or less valuable? Maybe I just need to hold mine for another 20 years or so.