XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

XFR or XJL Supercharged?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2018, 11:02 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default XFR or XJL Supercharged?

Hi Gentlemen,

My name is Emmanuel and I am new to this forum. I found this forum very very informative I literally spent nights reading threads before I finally developed the strong enough itch to register and post a question.

So, my question is, I am eyeing on a Jag again, for long keep this time, and I have shortlisted to one XFR and one XJL. In terms of price, let's just say both are great bargain on their own but there is about 7000GBP/9000USD difference. I can easily afford the XFR but will have to stretch a bit to get the XJL.

I came out from an MY08 XKR so I am bit spoiled now. But I have a family and a baby girl now, that’s why I needed to part with my XKR. But I want my next car fun to drive too.

Can you guys guide me to a right purchase?
I believe regular service cost would be similar, given they have the same engine? But when problems come, is XJ gonna cost more to fix?

The XFR
MY09
62000miles
probably full service record

The XJL Supercharged
MY12
43000miles
470bhp version

Any input would be much appreciated!

Old 06-06-2018, 11:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,767 Posts

Take the newer car without question!
2012 compared to a 2009 is an easy choice.
Many improvements made by 2012.

But they are very different cars? I have an 2014 XJR and it's a much bigger car than the XF.
So I am biased towards the XJ.

Have you driven both?

Old 06-06-2018, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by clubairth1
Take the newer car without question!
2012 compared to a 2009 is an easy choice.
Many improvements made by 2012.

But they are very different cars? I have an 2014 XJR and it's a much bigger car than the XF.
So I am biased towards the XJ.

Have you driven both?
Thanks Clubairth1 for your advice. My last XKR has the 6 speed, I like it a lot, don't know if the 8 speed would be even better?

I have driven the XJL 5.0 NA briefly, drives ok, but steering wheel does not give as much road feedback as XKR, and lacks a bit of oomph. Sure the 470bhp version and 510bhp version is a lot more potent?

I haven't driven the XFR though.

Btw, are there much differences between XJR and supersport/supercharged?

Old 06-06-2018, 12:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 513 Likes on 413 Posts

FYI the change from 6 speed to 8 speed transmissions was made in 2013. So you should have the same 6 speed transmission as your XKR

Old 06-06-2018, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by XJsss
FYI the change from 6 speed to 8 speed transmissions was made in 2013. So you should have the same 6 speed transmission as your XKR
Thanks XJsss. I better double check with the seller.

Old 06-06-2018, 12:35 PM
Veteran Member

Yes the 8 speed is worth getting AND it is better than the 6 speed. I have had both transmissions. But those cars will cost more too.

As has been posted before the 5.0L engine is the same in all product lines and the SC versions are identical except for programming so a real sweet spot in the XJ line is the XJ SC model at 470HP. If you want more power even above the XJR575 a tune will get you there for a little over $1K. A very good value in an expensive used car!

If you want a bit more road feedback the XJR provides that but many people want the soft Jaguar ride too.

If you can go drive the SC or XJR version. They are different and it took about 5 minutes in my 2014 XJR before I decided to buy it.

Old 06-06-2018, 07:47 PM

Yes the 8 speed is worth getting AND it is better than the 6 speed. I have had both transmissions. But those cars will cost more too.

As has been posted before the 5.0L engine is the same in all product lines and the SC versions are identical except for programming so a real sweet spot in the XJ line is the XJ SC model at 470HP. If you want more power even above the XJR575 a tune will get you there for a little over $1K. A very good value in an expensive used car!

If you want a bit more road feedback the XJR provides that but many people want the soft Jaguar ride too.

If you can go drive the SC or XJR version. They are different and it took about 5 minutes in my 2014 XJR before I decided to buy it.
Maybe I should test drive the 8 Speed first.

I read that you can easily tune this engine to 600bhp, so I am not worry about that 40bhp at the moment, more so on other aspects of driving experience.

I am in Hong Kong, we don’t have the XJR on sale in the used market at the moment, what a shame.

Old 06-06-2018, 07:53 PM
Veteran Member

It's NOT night and day! The 8 speed is better but the 6 speed is perfectly fine. You only get a small increase in gas mileage, performance and important to me much faster shift times with the 8 speed.

Old 06-06-2018, 10:09 PM

It's NOT night and day! The 8 speed is better but the 6 speed is perfectly fine. You only get a small increase in gas mileage, performance and important to me much faster shift times with the 8 speed.
I heard that in facelifted XF the new 8 speed gearbox is struggling the select the right gear so it changes gear all the time, does this happen to XJ?

Old 06-06-2018, 11:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,141 Likes on 3,384 Posts

Originally Posted by EmmanuelTam

I heard that in facelifted XF the new 8 speed gearbox is struggling the select the right gear so it changes gear all the time, does this happen to XJ?
Emmanuel,

No. My XJ does not "hunt" for the proper gear. It shifts smoothly, particularly at light throttle inputs. Dynamic mode and paddle shifting is more fun and more noticeable, particularly when you floor the exhilarator pedal! Drive the 470HP version and see if you can use more power for street driving in Hong Kong. I doubt it, as traction is the limiting factor. The engine has copious low-end torgue, and feels much faster than your 2008 XKR. I know because I, too, have a 4.2L XKR.

Note that there has always been a bit of confusion about model years so, as explained below, I'm unsure if the 2012 you're looking at has the 8-speed transmission. The Forum table of contents https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/ shows the current XJ (X351) production from 2009 onwards. In the UK, the first model year of the current XJ (X351) was 2009. But in the USA, the first model year was 2010. The 8-speed transmission and Meridian Surround Sound System began with the USA 2013 model year. If the XJ that you're looking at has the Bowers & Wilkins audio system, it has the 6-speed transmission. If it has the Meridian system, it has the 8-speed.

Stuart

Old 06-07-2018, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by Stuart S
Emmanuel,

No. My XJ does not "hunt" for the proper gear. It shifts smoothly, particularly at light throttle inputs. Dynamic mode and paddle shifting is more fun and more noticeable, particularly when you floor the exhilarator pedal! Drive the 470HP version and see if you can use more power for street driving in Hong Kong. I doubt it, as traction is the limiting factor. The engine has copious low-end torgue, and feels much faster than your 2008 XKR. I know because I, too, have a 4.2L XKR.

Note that there has always been a bit of confusion about model years so, as explained below, I'm unsure if the 2012 you're looking at has the 8-speed transmission. The Forum table of contents https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/ shows the current XJ (X351) production from 2009 onwards. In the UK, the first model year of the current XJ (X351) was 2009. But in the USA, the first model year was 2010. The 8-speed transmission and Meridian Surround Sound System began with the USA 2013 model year. If the XJ that you're looking at has the Bowers & Wilkins audio system, it has the 6-speed transmission. If it has the Meridian system, it has the 8-speed.

Stuart
Thanks Stuart! I did not know I could distinguish a gearbox with hifi lol

I have asked the seller, which is a dealer, to confirm with me and spot on, it has a Meridian system and 6 speed.

And it’s good to find a gentleman that has both 4.2 XKR and 5.0 XJL! Do you find the steering feel and feedback very different?

Last edited by EmmanuelTam; 06-07-2018 at 07:56 AM.
Old 06-07-2018, 07:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 205 Likes on 188 Posts

my vote is for the XJ, its newer, less miles.

having been someone thats owned both, the XJ is nicer

Old 06-07-2018, 08:17 AM
Veteran Member

Well that is strange because the the Merdian sound system came out with the 8 speed so you might want to check a bit closer to verify what the car has?
I also came from the 4.2L SC to a 5.0L SC engine. The 5.0L is just a big improvement in every area.

I have not noticed any issues with the 8 speed ZF. Now the 6 speed ZF had/has a lot of what I call minor issues. My 2005 S type R had various forms of the "Lurch". Here is where "The Lurch" term came from.

Jaguar S-Type Ownership Experience - The ZF LURCH Fault

But I think the later years the software/programming improved so not sure if the latter 6 speeds were fixed or not. But it was a minor issue for me just some temporary roughness that did not feel very good!

Old 06-07-2018, 08:28 AM

Well that is strange because the the Merdian sound system came out with the 8 speed so you might want to check a bit closer to verify what the car has?
I also came from the 4.2L SC to a 5.0L SC engine. The 5.0L is just a big improvement in every area.

I have not noticed any issues with the 8 speed ZF. Now the 6 speed ZF had/has a lot of what I call minor issues. My 2005 S type R had various forms of the "Lurch". Here is where "The Lurch" term came from.

Jaguar S-Type Ownership Experience - The ZF LURCH Fault

But I think the later years the software/programming improved so not sure if the latter 6 speeds were fixed or not. But it was a minor issue for me just some temporary roughness that did not feel very good!
That XJ and the salesperson are too fishy so now I am eyeing on a MY 13 XJL portfolio, this one has Meridian 14 speakers system and 8 speed gearbox. Even less miles with just 31000 miles for similar price!

Anything to watch out for when I inspect the car tomorrow ?

Old 06-07-2018, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by carzaddict
my vote is for the XJ, its newer, less miles.

having been someone thats owned both, the XJ is nicer
Does the XJ drives as good?

Old 06-07-2018, 09:12 AM
Veteran Member

Is there any warranty?
I do my own work but this is a very complicated and expensive car that did not sell well. They are rare and almost unknown to mechanics. Even the dealers appear to struggle doing the correct repairs as we have read on this forum.

I over paid for my 2014 XJR a bit because it came with a 100K 6 year Jaguar CPO warranty and only had 20K miles on it. I think it was a 3 year business lease return just like my last Jaguar. But as we all know Jaguars depreciate like a rock so I was still massively down in cost from what a new car would have been. Also at this level there is a good bit of you must pay to play! After all it is a 550HP beast!

Now that CPO warranty looks like it will mostly be wasted because I just have not had any problems (coming up on 1 year of ownership) and don't drive enough to get the miles up. Only one trip to the dealer so far and that was for an outrageous oil change of $175! Oh that special oil!

Did get an ego boost when at the dealer. I had 2 employees of the dealership come up to me and say my car would be the one they would buy from Jaguar. One of them was the tech that changed the oil. They both commented on the IRR paint and the grey wheels as a nice color combination.

As for other problems? Well how deep do you want to get into this?
Water pumps are a known problem and have be revised 5 times that I know of. Not real expensive BUT several guys have burnt a motor up because of overheating. So check if or when it was replaced. The water pump also includes several cast plastic tubes that decay and leak with time and heat. These should also be replaced at the same time. Note there are both front and rear water transfer tubes that need to be replaced.

The big one for me was the 5.0L timing chains. They were increased from 6mm to 8mm somewhere around the end of 2013. I still have not found from what serial number they were installed. Only sometime towards the end of 2013 for ALL 5.0L V-8's.

One big problem that is now fixed (I think?). The earlier cars 2010-2012 had roof popping noises that again are no real problem but just aggravating in such an expensive car. So later models as always have improvements IF you can afford the price increase. So be sure and drive the car where it goes across an incline at an angle. Like turning into a steep drive way. Also look for rail road tracks and try to hit them at an angle. You want to twist the body a little bit and see of the glass roof makes any noises.

Old 06-07-2018, 10:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,141 Likes on 3,384 Posts

Originally Posted by EmmanuelTam

Thanks Stuart! I did not know I could distinguish a gearbox with hifi lol

I have asked the seller, which is a dealer, to confirm with me and spot on, it has a Meridian system and 6 speed.

And it’s good to find a gentleman that has both 4.2 XKR and 5.0 XJL! Do you find the steering feel and feedback very different?
Did you mean Meridian system and 8 speed?

The steering on my XJ is very precise and responsive for a large sedan, particularly in Dynamic mode. And the ride is firm but comfortable and quiet with 20's and Continental DWS-06 all season tires.

You must drive it to see for yourself. I'm addicted to both of my Jags.

Old 06-07-2018, 11:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 513 Likes on 413 Posts

In the USA Jaguar had the SuperSport model through 2013 and then dropped it, however, in many markets the same model is sold as the Autobiography. These XJs are a higher line than the Portfolios in that they came with Semi Aniline leather (including the headliner), 524watt Meridian 20 speaker system, special badging, and 510HP V8 engines. They were fully optioned out and the only options were either adaptive speed control or rear entertainment system and it depended on the year which options were OEM or an added cost option. In 2013 Jaguar made many updates to the XJ across the line with transmission change to 8 speed, suspension tweaks, engine management, moved to Meridian for audio, and much more. I'm attaching the product release from Jaguar so you can be informed.

Attached Files
Old 06-07-2018, 11:39 AM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

XF and XJ are 2 different cars. It is like comparing the Malibu to the Impala. One is larger and more powerful (and yes, the flagship of the Jaguar line). XJ for the win. The other you'll struggle for an identity.

Old 06-08-2018, 09:08 PM

Thanks all for your input!

I have just paid a small deposit to a MY13 XJL Portfolio!

5.0 S/C
8 Speed
Meridian Sound System
Massage function at back seats

Just this private seller is unsure if it is 470bhp or 510bhp since he didn't care. Is there a way to confirm?
And there is some dried soy sauce like thingy in the spare wheel compartment, is it normal or not?

Quick Reply: XFR or XJL Supercharged?