XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

XJ 2014 Rear door wont open

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2018, 06:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XJ 2014 Rear door wont open

This morning I tried to open the rear door of my 2014 XJ from the outside, but the door would not open. All of the other doors open without problem. I tried to open the same door from the inside but it would still not open.

I have enabled and disabled the interior door locking but no change. I have pressed the interior locking on the door but nothing.

When the vehicle is locked if I pull the door handle then you can hear the car unlocking but the door will not open.

Anyone have any ideas?

Old 05-06-2018, 08:26 AM
Received 12,737 Likes on 6,379 Posts

Hi Dave-Stewart,

I have moved your post from the forum for the X300 to the forum for the X351, which is the Jaguar factory project code for your 2014 XJ. Here you will find knowledgeable owners of similar cars.

Cheers,

Don

Old 05-06-2018, 08:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,767 Posts

I came from an S Type and that type of problem points to a failed door lock actuator. NOT easy to repair as it's a bitch to get the door open to do the repair. It might be worth seeing if a lock smith could open the door without damage first?

Have NOT heard of this on the newer XJ's?
Can you hear anything moving inside the door when you hit the lock/unlock buttons?

Look at the door handle when hitting the button. Does it appear to wiggle or try to move any?

Old 05-06-2018, 09:03 AM

Thanks for the reply - Firstly if the door is locked and I use the handle to unlock I hear the locking mechanism operate on the door. I would expect the door to open but it wont shift. If I use the key the same thing, I hear the mechanism but the door remains shut.

Old 05-06-2018, 09:40 AM

I've experienced something similar in winter and it recurred during the summer. I was told that the grease they use in the joint can eventually completely disappear (especially in the winter time) and require replacement. I've had mine redone with the Jaguar grease, but found it to still stick sometimes. I bought this below and have had no problems since then when placing it on the locking mechanism, the door handles moving parts, the wing mirrors (which will eventually squeak) and the sunroof to prevent any sticking.

I recommend the following:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/3-IN-ONE...0008/300719538

Jordan

Old 05-06-2018, 09:45 AM

This is a little more than a door sticking - its like it is locked fast

Old 05-06-2018, 10:53 AM
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave-Stewart
Thanks for the reply - Firstly if the door is locked and I use the handle to unlock I hear the locking mechanism operate on the door. I would expect the door to open but it wont shift. If I use the key the same thing, I hear the mechanism but the door remains shut.
I wasn’t aware that there was a key option to the rear doors. I have a 2011 XJ and the only door I can open with the emergency key is on the passenger side.

Old 05-06-2018, 11:20 AM

On the key fob you press a button that locks and unlocks the doors. I apologise for not using the term "Key fob" but I assumed it would have been obvious. I shall elaborate further to avoid further confusion, there is a key fob that has buttons on it, this keyfob can be used to lock and unlock the doors. I think in fact Jaguar call it a "Smart key". Even using the "door unlock" button on the "smart key" I hear the door unlocking but still can not open the door using the handle.

If further clarification is required can I suggest contacting Jaguar.

Last edited by Dave-Stewart; 05-06-2018 at 11:24 AM. Reason: pedantic reply
Old 05-06-2018, 08:04 PM
Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Dave, do you have "soft close" doors? That mechanism my have failed in the closed position. The sound you heard may have been the soft close motor.
I have had the driver's door mechanism replaced on my 2014.

Old 05-07-2018, 02:27 AM

Hi Freddy - I do have soft closed doors on the car - Did your car experience the same problem? How much did it cost to replace the mechanism

Old 05-07-2018, 09:08 AM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Is your warranty up? My 2014 is good for 2 more months.

Old 05-07-2018, 11:48 AM

I bought the car November last and made sure I got a years warranty on it - Bank holiday weekend this so will be on the the phone tomorrow

I just thought someone might have come across this and have an easy fix

Old 05-07-2018, 12:16 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave-Stewart
I bought the car November last and made sure I got a years warranty on it - Bank holiday weekend this so will be on the the phone tomorrow

I just thought someone might have come across this and have an easy fix
If it isn't the factory warranty or a Jaguar CPO warranty, good luck getting them to fix it. Fingers crossed!

The following users liked this post:
Dave-Stewart (05-07-2018)
Old 05-07-2018, 01:48 PM

Dave, My soft close on the drivers door wasn't functioning at all. Apparently, CPO certification didn't catch it. It did not prevent me from opening, closing or locking. I had it fixed on factory warranty. I still have 3 months left on my 2014. It's got to be an expensive fix for tearing apart the door and replacing the whole mechanism.

I have a rear door that needs adjustment. Sometimes the door isn't closed enough to activate the sensor and then it won't close when you try to close it manually because soft close mechanism is in the wrong position. I have to fiddle with it to get the motor to activate and reposition the cam on occasion.

Old 05-07-2018, 02:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 513 Likes on 413 Posts

Freddy All XJs are shipped with the soft close for the driver's door disconnected. It is connected during the PDI inspection by plugging in the connector in the trunk. So wasn't broken just was not properly PDI'd. INMO

Old 05-07-2018, 02:49 PM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Freddy J
Dave, My soft close on the drivers door wasn't functioning at all. Apparently, CPO certification didn't catch it. It did not prevent me from opening, closing or locking. I had it fixed on factory warranty. I still have 3 months left on my 2014. It's got to be an expensive fix for tearing apart the door and replacing the whole mechanism.

I have a rear door that needs adjustment. Sometimes the door isn't closed enough to activate the sensor and then it won't close when you try to close it manually because soft close mechanism is in the wrong position. I have to fiddle with it to get the motor to activate and reposition the cam on occasion.
it shouldn't be that expensive to work on the door of the car. The rear door panel is mounted with 4 screws and clips around the parameter which can be removed from the car in less then 10 minutes. Once the panel is removed there is a large square-ish piece of plastic in the center of the door that is screwed into place that once removed gives you complete access to everything!

Here is a good picture of it!
https://www.pacificmotors.com/auto-p...l-lwb-2010-15/

Old 05-07-2018, 03:46 PM

XJsss, Not so. I was aware of the disconnected driver door soft close. I connected the pig tail in the trunk per the Forum and it still didn't work. The soft close really was inoperable from the factory and the original owner obviously never cared and the CPO inspector never bothered to check it either. Thanks anyway.

1Bad55chevy, I'm with you on the labor part. What do you suppose that soft door close assembly goes for?

Old 05-07-2018, 04:01 PM

1Bad55chevy, I meant to say thanks for that advice. I may tackle the door adjustment myself because the Jag dealer always gives me my car back with some cosmetic damage either inside or out. 100% every time. Last time it was garage paint on my bumper and not my garage paint. How does that happen?!

Old 05-08-2018, 08:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,767 Posts

The problem is you can't get the interior door panel off the door UNTIL you get the door open.

So you now have a chicken and egg problem. Yes it's simple to remove the interior door panel but you can't because you can't get the door open to do it.

On the S Type boards several guys have had to destroy the interior door panel to get access to the inside of the door.

One suggestion is to see if a lock smith can jimmy the rear door open with some of his "slim jim" tools. Then remove the interior door panel.

Old 05-08-2018, 11:29 AM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Freddy J
XJsss, Not so. I was aware of the disconnected driver door soft close. I connected the pig tail in the trunk per the Forum and it still didn't work. The soft close really was inoperable from the factory and the original owner obviously never cared and the CPO inspector never bothered to check it either. Thanks anyway.

1Bad55chevy, I'm with you on the labor part. What do you suppose that soft door close assembly goes for?
https://parts.jaguarpalmbeach.com/p/Jaguar__/Door-Lock-Actuator-Motor-Rear-Left-2014-15-wsoft-close/53048776/C2D41117.html

$284.50
from Jaguar Palm Beach.
I priced out a gas cap with the little cord on it a few days ago and my local Jag dealership (Jaguar Frisco) quoted my $60 plus tax while Jag Palm Beach was $33. I have yet to order it but from my extensive experience and in depth knowledge of Jaguar dealership pricing (1 part, 1 call, 1 internet EXPERT) this place seems to be the cheapest! LMAO!

Quick Reply: XJ 2014 Rear door wont open