XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

XJ cats

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2020, 07:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XJ cats

Hey guys!

getting a code for bad performing catalytic converters bank 1..

looking to go a different route with maybe hiflow cats. Anyone done this? Will any check engine codes come on?

currently VelocityAP tuned but looking to sell car soon so hoping hiflow cats will plug in stock with no codes..
anyone have any stock cats for sale?
any recommendations or cat brand suggestions?
thanks!

Last edited by dlukomskiy; 07-22-2020 at 08:16 PM.
Old 07-23-2020, 04:12 AM
Received 140 Likes on 107 Posts

I’m not sure I understand your preference. Do you want to replace your catalytic converter on bank 1 in order to sell the car or are you looking for an upgrade? Are you in a state that requires CARB compliant cats? That will be important if you want to sell it.

Old 07-23-2020, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by Nedoerr
I’m not sure I understand your preference. Do you want to replace your catalytic converter on bank 1 in order to sell the car or are you looking for an upgrade? Are you in a state that requires CARB compliant cats? That will be important if you want to sell it.

yes need to replace to sell that’s why wondering if high flow will work on a stock tune. Seen some people say yes it will work fine no codes and others say no it will trigger p0420

Old 07-23-2020, 11:58 AM

I wouldn’t order a high-flow cat to sell your car. I would buy a standard aftermarket cat so the light doesn’t come on.

Which state do you live in? Do you live in California or another state that requires a CARB compliant cat to be installed? If you don’t require a CARB compliant cat, then there is no need to buy an expensive OEM cat. Just buy any universal or bolt on that is stated to fit.

If you need a CARB compliant cat, then you have to buy a cat from either Jaguar or Magnaflow. You can buy Magnaflow cats cheaper from Hoonigan for ~40% off.

Coincidentally I live in California and I have been waiting for Magnaflow to build my CARB compliant bank 1 catalytic converter for the past two months. They are the only one who make an aftermarket CARB compliant cat for our cars. I bought it from Hoonigan. Unfortunately it is back ordered and so they need to make me a new one. Though I’m not in a rush as my cat works fine, I’m just changing it out because of mileage.

Old 07-23-2020, 12:21 PM

I wouldn’t order a high-flow cat to sell your car. I would buy a standard aftermarket cat so the light doesn’t come on.

Which state do you live in? Do you live in California or another state that requires a CARB compliant cat to be installed? If you don’t require a CARB compliant cat, then there is no need to buy an expensive OEM cat. Just buy any universal or bolt on that is stated to fit.

If you need a CARB compliant cat, then you have to buy a cat from either Jaguar or Magnaflow. You can buy Magnaflow cats cheaper from Hoonigan for ~40% off.

Coincidentally I live in California and I have been waiting for Magnaflow to build my CARB compliant bank 1 catalytic converter for the past two months. They are the only one who make an aftermarket CARB compliant cat for our cars. I bought it from Hoonigan. Unfortunately it is back ordered and so they need to make me a new one. Though I’m not in a rush as my cat works fine, I’m just changing it out because of mileage.
I live in North Carolina. If I’m replacing bank 1 Cat should I go ahead and replace the other as well or will it be fine with a stock OEM cat and 1 aftermarket cat?
can you reference me to an aftermarket cat to our cars?
bank 1 is the passenger side cat correct?
thanks

Old 07-23-2020, 01:34 PM

Yes you should be fine with just replacing the passenger side with an aftermarket one. Bank 1 is the passenger side cat. Which year/ engine do you have? You can look up part numbers by model on Rockauto or Magnaflow. You just need a federally compliant cat.

If you lived closer I would have sold you my take-off one for the scrap price, but it’s kind of a hassle to ship and I won’t have it off for a couple months.

Old 07-23-2020, 02:07 PM

Yes you should be fine with just replacing the passenger side with an aftermarket one. Bank 1 is the passenger side cat. Which year/ engine do you have? You can look up part numbers by model on Rockauto or Magnaflow. You just need a federally compliant cat.

If you lived closer I would have sold you my take-off one for the scrap price, but it’s kind of a hassle to ship and I won’t have it off for a couple months.
yea would’ve been nice but I need this fixed ASAP.
2014 Jaguar XJL Supercharged
5.0 v8 supercharged

Old 07-24-2020, 09:11 AM

On Rockauto they show the following item in stock with only a 2 day delay. Every other seller seems to be out of stock (similar to my experience which is why Magnaflow has to make one for me).

DAVICO 18521 {#58541} EPA / Federal Compliant
Right
$384.79

It is a direct fit/ bolt on, so it should be an easy install. Though I haven’t used this cat before, it should work fine. You can always contact Rockauto to verify fit before ordering.

Old 07-24-2020, 09:41 AM
Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts

You are sure the cat is faulty, and not the downstream oxygen sensor?

Old 07-27-2020, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by thierry_1500
You are sure the cat is faulty, and not the downstream oxygen sensor?
i believe All sensors are good but just in case what’s a good way to test it

Old 07-28-2020, 04:50 AM
Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by dlukomskiy
i believe All sensors are good but just in case what’s a good way to test it
You can use a voltmeter or go via Obdii, check on google there are many videos explaining how to do this. Some people (on other brands though) also reported positive results by insertion of a 02 sensor spacer. On a car with 3 sensors like some X351 have it may be more tricky.

Old 07-28-2020, 12:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,251 Likes on 1,775 Posts

Best way to check any O2 sensor is to swap it side to side. Then if the code follows to that side the sensor is bad. If the code stays they same it's NOT the O2 sensor.
Some extra work and most of the time I just replace the O2 sensor but if short on money this would prevent you from buying a unneeded O2 sensor.