XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

XJR Exhaust options.

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 11:41 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default XJR Exhaust options.

(forgive in advance if this has been thoroughly covered in another thread...maybe I just haven't ran across it in my search)

2014 XJR-LWB.

Just picked up a few days ago, love everything... except the exhaust note.

Aside from Mina, and RSC, what aftermarket systems are available for these cars? I've listened to a few videos of both of those, and still didn't care for the sound. Too much tin and rattle for me.

Assume that the low volume is what keeps the major outfits (Borla, Corsa etc...) from developing systems for these cars. Would consider a custom, stick built, exhaust from local reputable shop, but wondering if I'd get into a big headache throwing codes if I went that route. Might make the wipers quit working or something. LOL!

What have been your experiences, thoughts?

Thanks,
Matt
Katy, Texas

2014 XJR-LWB
Stratus Gray, with Ivory two-tone.

Old 08-07-2018, 12:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 526 Likes on 371 Posts

Unfortunately, the 5.0 engine sounds a bit tinny and rattley to my ears also, and all the exhaust systems I've heard just make it worse. It just doesn't have the deep growl of the old 4.2s. So I decided to focus on enhancing the supercharger whine instead. Cone filters did the trick. Now when I fly down the street all you hear is the screaming supercharger. Any old car can be loud...not every car can have that whine!

Last edited by XJ8JR; 08-07-2018 at 12:03 PM.
Old 08-07-2018, 01:17 PM

This is true, and new filters are top of my list. That's the first thing I did on my V-series, was upgrade to an air raid intake to get that whine.

Agree, the exhaust note I'm used to hearing, is going to be hard to achieve with a 5.0, but I think it could be a little better than what I've got now.

Old 08-07-2018, 01:47 PM
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

One guy on here did cutouts right before the rear mufflers. It was my favorite sound out of all the options (Arden is another but its $$$$). Ive used cutouts on my SRT and it sounded fantastic, and an NA 6.1 is not comparable to a 5.0 FI, but i think its a legitimate option, since it can be as loud or as quiet as you want.

I will try to find the video of it. It might have been on an XF 5.0 SC, but it would have the same sound.

Old 08-07-2018, 02:04 PM

Thanks for the response, Hank. Cut-outs are a nice quick option. Had them on my V, and my boys loved it.

Old 08-07-2018, 02:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 513 Likes on 413 Posts

Search Johncy2000 he did almost everything you can think of to the exhaust

The following users liked this post:
Matt Cox (08-07-2018)
Old 08-07-2018, 04:16 PM
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

How does the XJR exhaust differ from the regular 5.0 or the Supersport?

X-pipe and mufflers?

Old 08-07-2018, 07:59 PM
Veteran Member

As far as I know on the 2014 and 2015 XJR the only difference is the quad tail pipes. Starting in 2016 they have an active exhaust. Not sure how that was done but I'm sure someone here knows.

Old 08-07-2018, 10:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,140 Likes on 3,383 Posts

Matt,
This thread from the X150 Forum (XK/XKR) about the 5.0L SC Performance Active Exhaust might give you some ideas.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...xhaust-192443/
Stuart

Old 08-22-2018, 07:58 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt ***
(forgive in advance if this has been thoroughly covered in another thread...maybe I just haven't ran across it in my search)

2014 XJR-LWB.

Just picked up a few days ago, love everything... except the exhaust note.

Aside from Mina, and RSC, what aftermarket systems are available for these cars? I've listened to a few videos of both of those, and still didn't care for the sound. Too much tin and rattle for me.

Assume that the low volume is what keeps the major outfits (Borla, Corsa etc...) from developing systems for these cars. Would consider a custom, stick built, exhaust from local reputable shop, but wondering if I'd get into a big headache throwing codes if I went that route. Might make the wipers quit working or something. LOL!

What have been your experiences, thoughts?

Thanks,
Matt
Katy, Texas

2014 XJR-LWB
Stratus Gray, with Ivory two-tone.

Curious if you found anything. I'm looking for something similar. May do a rear muffler delete like I did on my 300 SRT. Thoughts? Videos?

Old 08-22-2018, 08:23 AM

Well, this past Saturday I removed the two stock resonators, that are between the cats and mufflers, and replaced them with a standard X-pipe. It didn't deepen the sound any, but you do get a little more pronounced burble at startup and when accelerating. Still has that high, tinny, euro sound though, and some very mild drone when motoring around town.

Not sure if I like it yet, and might have the stock resonators welded back in. I just don't know. Switching to a different muffler might be the next option if you're looking for more of a deep, low, rumble... like I am.

Old 08-22-2018, 08:46 AM

Well, this past Saturday I removed the two stock resonators, that are between the cats and mufflers, and replaced them with a standard X-pipe. It didn't deepen the sound any, but you do get a little more pronounced burble at startup and when accelerating. Still has that high, tinny, euro sound though, and some very mild drone when motoring around town.

Not sure if I like it yet, and might have the stock resonators welded back in. I just don't know. Switching to a different muffler might be the next option if you're looking for more of a deep, low, rumble... like I am.
What's the opinions on different mufflers? Any sound bites? I'd love it to sound like the old Vette, but I know that'll never happen.

Old 08-22-2018, 09:09 AM

No, I've not heard any other clips yet, nor have I come across much on my digging here in the forums. I'm sure there are more threads on the topic to discover though, if we dig through the previous gen models. And of course combing through YouTube.

While I know it's never going to sound like the SBC exhaust note that I'm used to, it should still be possible to get more of a low-rumble out of it. I mean, as a 5.0 block, I ought to be able to make it sound like Mustang (God forbid), if that was something I wanted to do. Right?

Before any of y'all throw rocks at me, I'm not purposefully trying to make my Jag sound like a Mustang. That was just a 5.0 point of reference.

Last edited by Matt Cox; 08-22-2018 at 09:19 AM.
Old 08-22-2018, 09:09 AM
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Here's a clip of X-pipe and Borla mufflers
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Matt Cox (08-22-2018)
Old 08-22-2018, 09:27 AM

No, I've not heard any other clips yet, nor have I come across much on my digging here in the forums. I'm sure there are more threads on the topic to discover though, if we dig through the previous gen models. And of course combing through YouTube.

While I know it's never going to sound like the SBC exhaust note that I'm used to, it should still be possible to get more of a low-rumble out of it. I mean, as a 5.0 block, I ought to be able to make it sound like Mustang (God forbid), if that was something I wanted to do. Right?

Before any of y'all throw rocks at me, I'm not purposefully trying to make my Jag sound like a Mustang. That was just a 5.0 point of reference.
LOL...no rocks brother! I agree, it'll never sound like this but a little more rumble would be nice!

Old 08-27-2018, 10:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New Mina Gallery Exhaust

Hey Guys, Here are some photos and videos I took when I installed my new exhaust a few days ago. The Mina exhaust looks and sounds great. Much deeper sound and super easy to install. If you notice in the Mina video the deeper tone makes my phone resonate a lot more.

Old 08-27-2018, 10:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mina gallery Before and After

The site won't let me upload a video file or copy and paste a you tube URL. Will try again tomorrow.

Old 08-28-2018, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by JagSupersport
The site won't let me upload a video file or copy and paste a you tube URL. Will try again tomorrow.
Awesome job! Can't wait to hear it!

When you tried putting up the link, did you use the "Link" button?

Then you should be able to put the URL of the YouTube video in.

I did that with mine and it worked like a champ! Can't wait to hear the video!

JagSupersport (08-28-2018)
Old 08-28-2018, 09:55 AM
Veteran Member

Any droning? and any noisier in the interior?

Old 08-28-2018, 10:48 AM

UPDATE: So far I've removed both stock resonators, and replaced with a 2½" X-pipe, then replaced the stock mufflers with Borla ProXS models.
The Borla muffs give the exact sound I was looking for. However, there is a bit of drone in the cabin when driving around town. At highway cruise speed it is nearly tame as stock. I might put back one of the stock resonators, ahead of the Xpipe, to quell the drone. Very happy with the exhaust note of the Borla ProXS. I also had the stock tips replaced with slightly larger ones that fill the notches in the rear bumper.

Clip below if I can get it to load.

Last edited by Matt Cox; 08-28-2018 at 11:21 AM.

Quick Reply: XJR Exhaust options.