XJ XJ12 ( X305 ) 1995 - 1997

Coil Failure, Transmission light: P1777 ABS Light: C1095 Airbag light: B1317

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 09:36 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Coil Failure, Transmission light: P1777 ABS Light: C1095 Airbag light: B1317

Hello, everyone!
My first posts so please bear with me!
I have a 1995 VDP XJ6 (Amazing car) On Thanksgiving 2013 I had multiple coil failures. i found that out from here, told my mechanic, he took it with a grain of salt...as all mechanics do when YOU tell THEM whats wrong.I you guys were right, My mechanic replaced 2…there was still an issue (I keep the car parked at work so I do not notice everything until I actually drive it for a while) I took it back after having the funds, and suggested it was still a bad coil. He said he will look at it. It turned out he did miss one so he installed another.
Its July 2014 however, the flickering of the dash still happens and it’s even more frequent now every 30 seconds (?). My mechanic insists that the coils are fine. I told him about you guys and he kind of brushes you guys off and says im just Googling, however my damn car is not fixed. The transmission light blinks (never blinked before the coils failed) the “airbag” still displays in the dash and the lights go haywire. Also the ABS light turns on and stays on, only difference now is the car does not stall and jerk (try driving 70 miles with that going on on Thanksgiving…).

He gave me the codes:

Transmission light: P1777
ABS Light: C1095
Airbag light: B1317 (over voltage)

He said the dash still flickers like it do because of the “Airbag” displaying and it does this to get my attention (?)

He said none of this is related to the coils failing, and that one thing leads to another if not fixed asap..however i wasnt driving the car, it was in a parking structure relaxing so, I beg to differ due to the fact that this car was problem free before the coils failed. My grandmother took excellent care of it , and my uncle before her. When i got the car it was only 90k miles on it. All of this happened immediately AFTER the multiple coil failure. I did some research here and found out the codes are part of the TCM/ABS module. The parts are cheap, but I have a few questions.

My questions are the following:

1. Is there still a bad coil somewhere that he missed?

2. There are still 3 original coils left in, should I have those replaced also so that all 6 coils are brand new?
(I kind of want to this just to cross out coil failure)

3. According to the code, and a recall (back when I was 7yrs old hahaha) The TCM will display P1777 need to be replaced with the newer one LHE 2400AH 004. I found the part on Ebay, came out of a 1996 XJ6. If I replace the TCM with the 1996 XJ6 do I need to reprogram it? I ask because I’ve read here that another person did (not the same jags) it and it worked fine, if not better. I called a jag service dealer and he did not know, but said I will need a new TCM because of mileage etc…he was really uncertain.

4. Should I send the ABS module in for repair?

5. B1317 over voltage, but my battery isn’t a year old, it was one of the first things I replaced, so how can it be over voltage? How do I fix this? Is this a fuse? Did the coils mess up my battery?

Thanks to anyone who can help me, this forum is very useful and helpful. PLEASE feel free to ask me anything to clarify. I also stay in Los Angeles soooo if anyone is near! I’d be happy to pay for some DIY work as it would be cheaper than my mechanic. Thank you thank you thank you!

The following users liked this post:
uslow (08-21-2014)
Old 08-21-2014, 01:06 PM
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Default 2000-2006 Lincoln LS coils in my 1996 Vanden Plas

The LS coils can be bought on EBAY as cheap as $51.00 for 8 coils. I paid $8.50 for each coil. Just break off the mounting tabs like I did. It's very easy. I didn't like the way the electrical connectors fit. Even though you can make them fit by turning them upside down. There was too much cracking and crunching for my taste.
I went to the local "Pick A Part" scrap yard and cut the connectors off a 1999 Lincoln Continental. You can find them on so many Ford and Lincoln Vehicles from 1999 to present. Pretty much any of them with coil packs. Just cut your connectors off and splice them in. Don't be afraid to cut and splice. It's not rocket science. There was no charge for the connectors at the "Pick A Part" scrap yard.
I am extremely lucky that I read about bad coils before I spent money on other things like fuel filters and pumps,ECU issues,TPS and transmission diagnosis. I put these cheap coils in my Jag and she has been purring along ever since.
Before I replaced my bad coil packs my car was acting absolutely crazy. Idling high,low shutting off at any given moment,dash lights flashing like a Christmas tree, transmission limp mode light coming and going. The new coils solved all those issues. My car has been running perfect for 23,000 miles. If it acts up again I'm going to just replace all the coils before I do anything else.
The 2000-2006 Lincoln LS Coils are the ones from the V8 engine. Not the V6 engine.
I LOVE MY LITTLE KITTEN AGAIN. I MIGHT PROPOSE.
Attached Thumbnails

The following 3 users liked this post by uslow:
panagiotis (05-25-2015), Photoman327 (02-10-2015), prince_kuja (01-16-2015)
Old 11-18-2014, 04:29 PM
Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

I bought a 1995 XJ new and still have it and drive it often. It now has 225K miles on it and runs perfectly.

About twelve years out the engine started missing at idle. My mechanic and friend said it was the coils and to replace them all at once which I did. They did fine for another several years. Then I replaced them all once again.

By comparison, I bought a 1996 VDP with 98K miles and pristine maybe four years. The previous owners had replaced two of the coils. The engine started once more with the missing so I made an educated guess about which coil was bad and happened to guess right. Anyway, in the end I wound up putting new coils on the remaining cylinders and all is well now.

So now I'm a firm believer in replacing all coils at the same time and noting the milage and date in the car's journal. It will save a lot of heartache.

Also, periodically, it doesn't hurt to disconnect the negative cable to the battery, touch it to the positive terminal. Then leave the neg cable off for a bit before you put it back. That seems to reset a lot of stuff that you can't really pin down.

Hope this helps.

bliving7-driving Jags since 1982

The following 2 users liked this post by bliving7:
Photoman327 (02-10-2015), prince_kuja (02-01-2015)
Old 02-06-2015, 02:54 PM
Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

I would recommend to replace the coil as a maintenance measure since they are so cheap on ebay. I also recommend to replace the transmission oil and filter. It does wonder for the transmission. These two tasks are so simple and you can get them done in a short weekend day.

You might want to check the resistance from each coil and compare them. I do not have the spec anymore since I sold my 1997 with all booklet couple months ago. But again, coils are cheap.

Bad ground or bad batteries are known to create haywire with Jaguar. Replace the battery as well.

Old 02-10-2015, 10:59 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Subscribed

Old 02-18-2015, 12:32 AM
Received 209 Likes on 133 Posts

Not just the coils, I would strongly recommend you check all the earthing points and positive terminal on the bulkhead. I suspect some of them are corroded or loosen.

The air bag message is often lights up when a car has electrical problems on X300. I once put on a set of HID and forgot to fully tighten the earth nut behind the headlight, then the air bag warning lit up.
In addition, check the battery terminals are not corroded and fully tighten.

Red the coils, never buy cheap coils. They are sometimes bad from new, they never last for long.