XJ XJ12 ( X305 ) 1995 - 1997

Looking at 96 x305

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2017, 09:53 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Looking at 96 x305

Hi all,

Looking at a new litter-mate for Kitty (my '95 x300). The '96 has had lots of suspension and brake maintenance but they mention an issue with the ABS and state that they were also told that is why their speedometer does not work.
Is this correct?

If she looks anything like the pictures and the Odometer hasn't been broken for very long, this should be an easy decision as the pictures show a clean example of a 21 Y.O. 305.

Below: Quoted from the ad.

The Good:

- The engine runs good
- No CEL
- The car drives well due to new shocks
- Recent Alignment
- All power windows work as well as memory function and seat motors
- Audio works and has a factory Harman/Kardon Audio system
- Leather interior is in decent shape
- All four shock absorbers were replaced with good quality KYB Gas-A-Just absorbers, a bit stiffer than oem but it is described as XJR suspension feel
- New brake calipers (oem) , discs (brembo) and pads (ceramic composite) in the front
- New pads in the rear
- New plugs and ignition wires

The bad:

- ABS and Traction control light is on. Reason is most likely left rear Wheel Speed Sensor
- Speedometer doesnt work most likely because of said sensor
- Brake a bit spongy since abs unit cannot evacuate (since it doesnt work) but it does brake ok
- Steering column adjustment is broken
- AC has a leak somewhere near radiator

Thanks for any input!

Bucky

Last edited by Bucky83; 05-12-2017 at 09:55 PM.
Old 05-13-2017, 10:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 103 Likes on 87 Posts

Any other service history besides that? How frequent was the oil and other things changed I doubt only that much has been done to the car. Also what is the mileage?

Old 05-13-2017, 01:30 PM

Won't see it until tomorrow but I'm definitely not going to jump into a pit on this one. I just feel this one is worth a look because it is close and it has been garage kept. Without a service history, I envision a $1200.00 car.

Does the Speedo run off of the abs sensor/ system or the trans output?

Bucky

Last edited by Bucky83; 05-14-2017 at 09:45 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-14-2017, 12:28 PM

Mileage is 129,000-ish.

Old 05-14-2017, 08:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 103 Likes on 87 Posts

I would check the car and inspect it. Make sure to tell him that you want the car Ice Cold, not started in a day or so.

Old 05-16-2017, 04:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 976 Likes on 662 Posts

Originally Posted by Bucky83
Won't see it until tomorrow but I'm definitely not going to jump into a pit on this one. I just feel this one is worth a look because it is close and it has been garage kept. Without a service history, I envision a $1200.00 car.

Does the Speedo run off of the abs sensor/ system or the trans output?

Bucky
Paint, leather, wood, chrome, tires, battery. These are the most obvious things to consider, other than history and mechanical qualities or issues. An ABS light and A/C problems are not necessarily deal-breakers, but they will work in your favor as a buyer. FYI if the A/C has a leak near the radiator, it could be the condenser, and you don't want to be buying one, if you can even find one! $$$$.

I believe the speedo runs off of the left rear wheel speed sensor, which was probably damaged during suspension work. It also explains the ABS/Trac fail warning.

This car even at that mileage could still be a very nice runner, and you might be just the guy to take it in. You've got X300 experience and the 305 will take you to the next level!

I'd like to see more "Buying an X305" threads rather than "Looking at an X305." Those cars need good homes. Just don't jump into a pit.

The following users liked this post:
Bucky83 (05-17-2017)
Old 05-17-2017, 07:07 AM

Ok here is my assessment from my first look. ( I am looking at it again today for a COLD start.)

Paint: 6/10

Leather: 9/10

Cup holder: broken but all there

Heated seats all work
Rear controls on front passenger seat work

Original Jag mats all there and in good shape

Windows: all work

Clock: minimal display

Steering wheel: motor does not even try ( I think he disconnected the fuse)

Battery: Way too small for the car. Basically it supplies some amount of 12 volts. :-)

Radio: works, all speakers good, CD changer missing Cassette to hold CD's

Antenna: up about 12 " (big surprise)

A/C has leak at the front, near the radiator.

J-Gate shifter: was really tight. linkage was really dry so I sprayed it with some PB Blaster... Hopefully it is better today. Trans did not want to leave 2nd gear in town but did when entering the highway.

Exhaust: Has been cut and modified at the appropriate points to access the trans for service.

Rockers: Front driver's rocker needs some attention in about a 3x3 area. Passenger side looks ok.
Driver's side "dogleg" at the rear door is bubbling and driver's rear wheel arch is bubbling. (common areas)

Engine: pulled strong and sounded good (was up to temp when we met), new coil packs and wires installed, fresh oil and filter. He said it runs rough when cold.

Suspension: KYB struts and bushings, tie rods not replaced but included in sale, 2 extra matching wheels (1 is pretty beat)

Needs 2 tires due to age, not tread

Am I being a jerk by trying to stay at $1500?

Bucky

Old 05-17-2017, 07:17 AM

I also should mention that it probably needs valve cover gaskets.

The only thing in OBD was PO1000

Trans was dry.

No real wetness under the car but the top left of the engine had what I would call "seepage" around the oil fill, under the intake. Again, nothing that was WET.

Old 05-17-2017, 07:42 AM

Sorry, I cannot edit for some reason.

The wood was in good shape but the dash was raised a little around the passenger side airbag.

The day/night mirror WAS NOT hazed.

Picnic tables in perfect shape.

Old 05-17-2017, 09:07 PM

OK, so here we go.

I got to look at the 305 today. It was QUIET and smoooooooth running. The J-gate was less binding but it still did not like going into drive until tapped left. It actually felt like the detent feeling was coming back in "R" and "P" in "D", not so much. The left "D" would put the trans solidly into drive but the trans only wanted to find 2 gears, smoothly however.

Engine torque was truly amazing (as would be expected) because of the trans staying in gear "2" for most of the drive. 2-to-1 and 1-to-2 shifts were just like my X-300 trans. After the drive, I did look at the fluid and it does not smell burned at all. I believe, with what feels like binding, that the tranny does not really know what gear is selected. The "2" and"3" (Aka. manual) side of the selector does not have a detent feel at all (the binding feel again). Further, it slowly creeps down to between the "3" and left "D" position. The cable has clearly seen better days as the jacket is split to the metal. Are these still available?

Sidenote to all of this.... THE SUNROOF WORKS FLAWLESSLY!!

OK, I think I've said enough, I'm waiting for some input now. :-)

Bucky

Old 05-18-2017, 03:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 976 Likes on 662 Posts

If he won't take $2000 or less, you're still only "Looking at an X305!" Add up what you would have to spend to bring it to a decent running state.

A battery, for sure. 2 tires for sure. That's $500. ABS/TC issues. Value decreased.

The transmission oddities are a concern. Must need adjustment of the cable and/or the shifter assembly, possibly the linear switch. But it could be worse. The trans might need new solenoids, and etc. Unknown issues at this point. Value decreased.

Rust. Paint at 6/10. A/C leak (NO A/C). Value decreased.

Would be nice to have seen P1111 on OBD. Then we'd know all systems are passing and he didn't just reset a CEL it before you got there.

By the looks of your fleet, you may be very busy with car maintenance already. Can you afford stretch into this one too? You might be busy with that X300 at 154k!

What about the history of the car from his records and carfax?

It sounds like a bit of a long shot. But if he won't sell to you, then he probably won't find a buyer at all. No one he's likely to meet is more "qualified" to take on this car than you!

This car needs to find a proper home in order to survive. It's up to you to decide if that home is yours, or not.

It seems like nowadays it is hard to find an X305 that has been maintained well and/or doesn't have a lot of issues, and that is sad because it is, or was in many cases, such a great car. Good luck Bucky!

Bucky83 (05-18-2017)
Old 05-18-2017, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by SleekJag12
If he won't take $2000 or less, you're still only "Looking at an X305!" Add up what you would have to spend to bring it to a decent running state.

A battery, for sure. 2 tires for sure. That's $500. ABS/TC issues. Value decreased. Agreed.

The transmission oddities are a concern. Must need adjustment of the cable and/or the shifter assembly, possibly the linear switch. But it could be worse. The trans might need new solenoids, and etc. Unknown issues at this point. Value decreased. Agreed, are the cables even available?

Rust. Paint at 6/10. A/C leak (NO A/C). Value decreased. Agreed

Would be nice to have seen P1111 on OBD. Then we'd know all systems are passing and he didn't just reset a CEL it before you got there. I know, I was stupid and did not have my scanner yesterday.

By the looks of your fleet, you may be very busy with car maintenance already. Can you afford stretch into this one too? You might be busy with that X300 at 154k! Very true. I keep busy but nothing too bad. The x300 is about to hit 192,000 and get new ball joints this weekend. :-)

What about the history of the car from his records and carfax? I did not do carfax and he has no history. I see no sings of obvious hits or body work but it can hide itself well in 21 years. He only has owned it for about 18 months and not done much but the listed repairs in the preceding posts.

It sounds like a bit of a long shot. But if he won't sell to you, then he probably won't find a buyer at all. No one he's likely to meet is more "qualified" to take on this car than you! I fully agree. If it is not sold to me now for a max of $1,200 to $1,500 I would imagine it would be mine in a few months for that price.

This car needs to find a proper home in order to survive. It's up to you to decide if that home is yours, or not. Correct, I am really hopeful but I am not looking for a money/ time pit either. It sounds cold-hearted but I cannot save him from his decision to pay too much when he bought the car.

It seems like nowadays it is hard to find an X305 that has been maintained well and/or doesn't have a lot of issues, and that is sad because it is, or was in many cases, such a great car. Good luck Bucky!
This is sad.

Thanks for your input!

Bucky

SleekJag12 (05-19-2017)
Old 06-14-2017, 10:06 AM

OK, She is still available and can probably be had for $1500.00 I'm thinking that this is a go. Now I just have to get my wife to quit looking at me as if I am from another planet. :-)

Old 06-16-2017, 04:58 AM
GGG
Received 16,768 Likes on 12,155 Posts

Originally Posted by Bucky83
...... He only has owned it for about 18 months and not done much but the listed repairs in the preceding posts. .....
This and the P1000 showing the codes having been cleared makes me a little suspicious.

The current owner must have found something he can't fix or he wouldn't be selling after only eighteen months. Could just be something beyond his skills/knowledge or he's found something too expensive.

You've been looking at the vehicle for a while so there clearly isn't a queue of eager buyers at his door. Time is on your side.

Graham