XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

04 XJ8: Another problem arose: DSC Unavailable light pops up while driving. ???

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 09:42 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 04 XJ8: Another problem arose: DSC Unavailable light pops up while driving. ???

Well, first off, I am still dealing with the leaking power steering fluid issue (topped the reservoir off and drove the car first time today for a few miles. Yep. It still leaks. Gotta address it now.)

For the 2nd time in a cpl months now during driving the DSC UNAVAILABLE light comes on along with the nifty little "slding car" icon indicating it is off while I was driving. It seemed the ride was quite rough during this time period or perhaps that was just my imagination.

As I did before, I parked and restarted the car and alas the problem disappeared....for now.

My question is, is this a life altering nightmare waiting to occur? What is this indicative of? Simply a computer glitch or a four-figure plus time bomb waiting to go off?

Any help will be appreciated. I love my XJ8 with all my heart but with the recent power steering issue and now this I am beginning to have a sick feeling in my stomach. Please tell me if my nausea is justified or if I need to simmer down.

Much obliged.

Goobe

Old 12-09-2011, 10:59 PM
Banned
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Hey Bro,
I Googled this problem and found a Cat Owner who had the same problem: "DSC not available". " Dynamic Stability Control " The Dealership replaced a "speed sensor" which solved the problem. Another Owner talked about replacing brake parts but that didn't solve his problem, which persisted up through his last post. Good Luck and keep us posted.

Old 12-09-2011, 11:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 741 Likes on 624 Posts
Default 04 XJ8: Another problem arose: DSC Unavailable light pops up while driving. ???

I had the DSC light up once-yes once in 3.5 years! just after a little skid on gravel.

Ignition off/on and it disappeared never to be seen again.

The DSC system uses the ABs wheel sensors and the "speed sensor" solution referred to is probably the ABS wheel sensor.

It's an easy fix to replace once you know which sensor is faulty.

Sometimes mechanics know which wheel sensor usually fails.

It's not a big deal-you can still drive the car without DSC and ABS so stop worrying.

Old 12-10-2011, 11:59 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by meirion1
The DSC system uses the ABs wheel sensors and the "speed sensor" solution referred to is probably the ABS wheel sensor.
A few nights ago I was driving in rain changing to snow. The "Acc Sensor Blocked" warning came on. I ignored it. Later slipping and sliding my way into my garage an "ABS fault" occurred. What is "Acc Sensor"? Connected to DSC & ABS?

This is the second time I have had a ABS fault. The first time it occurred after 2 hours then cleared 20 minutes later, driving in the snow all the while.

Originally Posted by meirion1
It's not a big deal-you can still drive the car without DSC and ABS so stop worrying.
In my opinion a 2008 XJR on snow with Pirelli P6 tires without ABS and Stability Control is a dangerous weapon.