XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

2004 XJ8 Issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 02:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts
Default RE: 2004 XJ8 Issues

Sounds like you need an attorney, a list of local newspapers and television stations, and a condensed transcript that can be sent to the newspapers and television stations. Most are just chomping at the bit to get at stories like this. I don't think Jag or those dealers want the negative publicity.

Jaguar should be CC'd on what you submit.

Old 02-25-2008, 03:55 PM
Received 84 Likes on 52 Posts

From reading and the billable hours comment, he/she is an attorney.
From my understanding, the lemonlaw does not cover a used vehicle. The difference in value you are stating is irrelevant as you are not purchasing a vehicle from an auction. You are geting from the dealer.
If all they are asking for is $2200 for you to get into a newer vehicle you should take it. They are not required to assist you, but they are making an attempt at getting you out of the vehicleninto another, newer one.

The money it would cost you to go to court would far surpass the $2200 that you can get out of the car and into a newer one for. It is a year newer and will have select. The select edition warranty cost $3000 so it sounds like a good deal to me.

Old 02-25-2008, 06:27 PM
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

sounds like the dealer is run properly.. to let a problem that isn't that difficult to fix keep going ang going.. without a engineer getting involved to actually fix it himself..

Old 02-25-2008, 07:13 PM

I would have swapped tires first thing from known good car. Driveshaft balancer would have been next. It has hard to even begin to think about what it is without driving it. However like you said Genius....well run place....lol

Old 02-25-2008, 09:01 PM

Do you have a question that we can help you with? I know you are frustrated, but you are venting. I need to know what you need help with precisley.

Old 02-26-2008, 12:26 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

If I were you, I would hire an attorney to submit a counter-offer (maybe $1500, and add Select to the replacement vehicle, give other color options and a 'range' of acceptable mileage...as a compromise) back to your dealer, or the most influencial person you have had correspondence with. That may cost you a few hundred dollars, but will also give the impression that you are very serious about

a) getting out of your vehicle based on safety related issues and being under warranty...should be the respnsibility of the dealer.
b) the impression of taking the case to court (civil I believe, though I am no attorney, but happily have a high billable rate)

You have been very courteous, respectful, and polite in your written correspondence (albeit not-so-much on the phone, but you have apologized, which is admirable), and all I can hope for is that you have taken good notes, names, dates, etc, which will help support your timeline of facts. It seems you have, and that is good.

One other option is to drive the vehicle to another Jag dealer for a fresh perspective (don't tell them it is in dispute at Troy and other dealer, but most likely, it's been redflagged in the database anyway (any truth to that one FJT?)...perhaps the third one will give you a different outcome, as we have seen numerous times from member experiences, that each dealer and service department can provide customer service that is literally night-and-day in comparison.

Man, I wish you luck...and keep us updated on the soap opera you like to call your life.

It also seems that this is now become a matter of principle now as opposed to a final resolution, even if it costs you just a bit more to start fresh... clean slate so to speak. I dont' know if this is the time to 'swallow your pride' and simply make a deal. Taking a car back into inventory, issuing a refund, etc IS a big deal to a dealer.

Old 02-26-2008, 04:45 AM

That is why it is harder to get a car taken back than say a cd. The dollar values are huge and would put dealers and some nanufacturers out of business. Hence the lemon law.
It will be easy enough to have another dealer look at the car, but for someone dead set in getting out of it, why bother.
Take the deal on the condition that they add select edition to the vehicle at no cost to you. If the car is at the dealer it can be done.

H2oboy, they don't flag the cars as you implied. The dealers are not linked, but they are all linked to jag. No flagging a vehicle.

As I said, no one is required to take thisvehicle back, so if you want out of it so bad, take the deal before it is withdrawn completley. Just ask for the select.

Old 02-26-2008, 07:04 PM

Those specific questions of course cannot be answered without seeing the car. I am sorry you are having the problems with the car.

The airbag light sounds like I would replace weight sensor kit and the OCS module. When they came out with new kit, it involved replacing the weight kit, the leather and cushion and the OCS module. I don't think many dealers realize how critical this is when doing the weight sensing kit.

Unfortunately, I am not in that area to look at your car, nor am I going to debate you about principles.
I have driven many hundreds of XJ8s, VDP, XJR, SuperV8s etc. They pretty much all have some form of a vibration in it. You are talking about the propshaft because the dealer was heading down that road. It doesn't mean that is where the problem lies regardless of who has told you it is. I have seen slightly warped brake rotors cause vibrations that will mimic a propshaft concern and also tire concerns.
I wish you luck on getting the issue resolved. If you ever have your car in FL, I will be happy to take a look at it.

Old 02-27-2008, 06:00 PM
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

ive also seen a L/F tire on a VDP got filled with that stop leak stuff and he had a vibe little in steering and some in seat balanced the tires and it was worse.. so put VVA (Vibe analyzer) and it said it was the proshaft.. so i replaced it and still there.. turns out it was the tires the stop leak turned into a liquid and was spining and felt like a prop. weird.. but VDP and XJ are sweet and very comfortable to drive..

Old 03-16-2008, 12:21 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

Any news Major P?

Old 06-18-2008, 05:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not sure if you realize this or not but jag has the #1 rating in customer satisfaction from the dealer.

I can assure you the problems you are experiencing aren't just one's with jaguar but you will get them anywhere you go. Shoot the mercedes dealer I bought an used car at tried forging my signature! Every car has its fair share of problems as well as dealers.

Good luck finding the organization that care more to resolve the issues. Keep us updated. And btw novi and troy stores helped me out and were quite nice IMO.

Quick Reply: 2004 XJ8 Issues