XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

2004 XJ8 Issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 09:55 PM
Received 84 Likes on 52 Posts
Default RE: 2004 XJ8 Issues

What a sue happy society we are. I hate that about this country. I love being an American.....just not some of the bs that is allowed to proceed.

Old 06-27-2008, 08:33 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did not see it anywhere maybe I missed it but, was the car test driven prior to purchase. I can understand the air bag thing not being discovered but a vibration like the one being discribed would surely be there at

Old 06-27-2008, 08:35 AM

Part 2
at the time of test drive not just show up one day, no?

Old 06-27-2008, 08:42 AM

Another thing. This guy has been a Jag owner for years no input no nothing now that he has a problem and wants to sue he's a new member and wants to vent. FJT you won't hear the ending to this and no thankyou for listening or your input.
You have a thankless job (opps, you don't get paid for this it's not a job)

Old 06-28-2008, 09:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You're more than likely dead on!

Old 06-30-2008, 07:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 324 Likes on 276 Posts

Some vibrations are very hard to find. The first thing to do was to balance the tires. If this did not work, the thing to do was to replace all the wheels and tires from another car without the problem. Tires can have a separated belt internally that does not show anywhere andit canproduce this problem. Pirellis are famous for it, Michelins less so. Also, wheels can be bent and also cause a vibration. If they have been rebalancing the driveshaft, working with the tires may be moot if they have messed up the drivetrain balance. Getting back to neutral could bedifficult. I would exhaust the tires and wheels before ever fooling with the drivetrain balance.

Old 01-14-2013, 02:28 AM
Default Let's be helpful, shall we?

I came across this rather disturbing series of posts while doing an internet search for 'Common Issues of X350s'.

Some of the responses to the original poster took a slightly hostile, and completely unnecessary trajectory. I guess no moderator noticed it at the time. I have occasionally observed this trend in other forums and despite the fact that this series of posts is almost five years old, this type of thing just begs for a response, since both the automotive and social issues are always relevant. Also, it's the kind of thing that has nine lives, since it obviously showed up now when I searched, and will continue to come up as people search in the future.

Originally Posted by FactoryJaguarTech
Do you have a question that we can help you with? I know you are frustrated, but you are venting. I need to know what you need help with precisley.
Well, no, he wasn't venting. He had already very clearly and specifically stated the problems he was having. He didn't need to restate his dilemma, you needed to reread it.

...nor am I going to debate you about principles.
So, you feel there is no prinicple at stake in being taken advantage of by a dealership that has severally demonstrated itself unwilling to satisfy a customer with (at least) two serious problems. At minimum, there are many people who would disagree with you.

I have driven many hundreds of XJ8s, VDP, XJR, SuperV8s etc. They pretty much all have some form of a vibration in it.
None of the rest of you saw this for what it is?? It's 'tech speak' or 'dealership speak'. That is, the sort of blanket dismissal of a customer's account of their legitimate problem by trying to say that the problem is really not a problem and that (virtually) every vehicle exhibits it. Does anyone really believe that hundreds and thousands of X350 owners wouldn't have raised an unholy stink and abandoned Jaguar in droves after the 2004 models were introduced if most of them vibrated annoyingly while being driven?

What a sue happy society we are. I hate that about this country. I love being an American.....just not some of the bs that is allowed to proceed.
The date of the frustrated poster's first appeal to this forum for help was the 25 of February. The date he mentioned he was being forced to sue to get his negligent dealership's attention was the 30 of May. I don't know about FactoryJaguarTech, but it seems to me that (more than) three months of stress, inconvenience, danger (the airbag not working) and being treated like an idiot is more than enough time for any business to have long decided to act in an ethical manner on its own. It wasn’t going to. I don't know what the laws are there, but in any dispute with a business there is also the issue of failing to act in a timely manner. What would you have the poor fellow do here, FactoryJaguarTech? Keep beating this dead horse of a dealership until his statute of limitations had run out and then be left with both his original problems *and* no further recourse to force someone to listen to him? I guess that would be a 'yes', since you call his action "bs".

Originally Posted by aquill1
Not sure if you realize this or not but jag has the #1 rating in customer satisfaction from the dealer.
Assuming this statement is true, just how is this helpful to the poster, aquill1? I don't know if you realize that this is actually another favourite line of negligent dealerships when pushing aside customers who won't take 'go-away-and-stop-bothering-us' for an answer when the client insists on having his/her car fixed. It is meaningless and utterly unhelpful to someone facing unsolved car problems.

To your credit, you do make a valid point that the sorts of difficulties Kevin has faced will most assuredly be found at many, many dealerships of every brand. I believe the problem is so widespread one might call it epidemic in nature. It has likely to do with many factors. These might include some such as the extremely complicated makeup of modern cars and the difficulty in finding not only 'paper qualified' technicians, but moreso ones who are also sharp, creative diagnosticians. Likely the biggest reason has to do with the always unspoken intention of so many large businesses now. That is, to treat the customer with contempt and as a necessary evil, rather than as the reason for the very existence of the business. Businesses that have complicated products for which they are responsible for a long time after the sale, with which much can go wrong (like car dealerships) are especially vulnerable to falling into this way of thinking and dealing with the public.

Originally Posted by KAZsam
...was the car test driven prior to purchase. I can understand the air bag thing not being discovered but a vibration like the one being discribed would surely be there at at the time of test drive not just show up one day, no?
I had actually wondered this as well, but even problems that appear that they should be 'always there' or have been present for a long time do, occasionally, show up or at least become more obvious spontaneously.

Originally Posted by KAZsam
Another thing. This guy has been a Jag owner for years no input no nothing now that he has a problem and wants to sue he's a new member and wants to vent. FJT you won't hear the ending to this and no thankyou for listening or your input. You have a thankless job (opps, you don't get paid for this it's not a job)
This post is particularly puzzling on several counts.

It should be obvious to anyone that FactoryJaguarTech's input was, in this series of posts at least, as much borderline bullying and accusing as it was being helpful. As for Kevin wanting to tell his ordeal to those who he thought would be helpful fellow owners and enthusiasts, well, I believe that is a part of what this, and other similar forums are about. Additionally, whether someone posts every week or only once a lifetime, it should be the content and substance of their posting which legitimizes their 'right to post', rather than frequency. Many members are here to read only. We do not have the automotive skills nor knowledge to contribute helpful tips or solutions. I would like to think that we are still welcome to browse and, if a rare occasion in which we felt we had something to contribute presented itself, welcome to post.

It is embarrassing that it was "veteran" and "senior" members who felt justified in piling on to the dismissiveness and ridicule that were already evident in the responses of the member who apparently has much technical experience. Such responses are, in the very least, unhelpful to someone who had obviously already endured more than enough of his share of difficulties with his car.

The following users liked this post:
cy2010 (03-08-2013)
Old 01-14-2013, 03:05 AM
Received 4,435 Likes on 2,421 Posts

Welcome to the forum rmwpg. Rather unusual first post i must say...

Why don't you stop by & introduce yourself in our New Member Area - Intro a MUST

You've raised some interesting observations, but I think this thread was well & truly dead (last input was June 2008), I don't see much point in reviving it now. Most of the members involved in the discussions are no longer active anyhow.

Old 01-14-2013, 03:52 AM
GGG
Received 16,767 Likes on 12,155 Posts

Originally Posted by rmwpg
I came across this rather disturbing series of posts while doing an internet search for 'Common Issues of X350s'.................................
Welcome to the forum rmwpg,

You may not have noticed this is a five year old thread. Furthermore the OP was a 'guest' and not a member. There are many better threads if you are looking for help with X350 technical issues.

Please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST section and tell us something about yourself and your vehicle. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice on posting to the forum.

Graham

Old 01-14-2013, 09:21 AM
Received 6,243 Likes on 5,444 Posts

Welcome to the forum rmwpg,

I'll look forward to reading your intro post, it's unlikely any of the members you have quoted will respond as they have not been active for some time.

Old 03-08-2013, 10:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

rmwpg,

the nine lives things it's very true, people will continue to search 'problems with 2004 xj' and find themselves at this page...like me!

your response is serving it's function thank you and to the OP too!

Old 03-27-2013, 12:18 PM

Dear GGG Moderator,

Yes, I did notice this post was a very old, or a stale thread, as they are sometimes called.

In my introduction, I said: "...despite the fact that this series of posts is almost five years old, this type of thing just begs for a response, since both the automotive and social issues are always relevant."

And even if OP was only a one time guest, I feel the principle of not leaving such unnecessary rudeness as the 'last word' holds.

After all, their disturbing responses are, apparently, going to be allowed to exist for all time.

Old 03-27-2013, 01:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,424 Likes on 1,937 Posts

Anyway, do you have a Jaguar, and especially an X350 model, (the first of the aluminium Jaguars), after all this ?