XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

2004 XJR - is rear camber adjustable?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2018, 11:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 315 Likes on 191 Posts
Default 2004 XJR - is rear camber adjustable?

I was at an alignment shop this morning - all the do is alignments for high end cars, mostly race cars - they seem to know their stuff. They have super reputation and you pay for it.

Since I removed the air suspension for the Strutmaster coil overs, I realized the right rear tire went to ***t in just a few thousand miles. I brought it in for alignment and was told right rear was -2.0 (out of spec) and left rear -1.5 (barely within spec). I was also told that there is not way to adjust the rear camber....

I am a little suspicious and thus this question - rear camber adjustable or not?

Old 10-24-2018, 12:18 PM
Received 239 Likes on 148 Posts

I know its too late now, but for future reference, any time you change the geometry of the suspension you should do an alignment. When I switched to adjustable coilovers from the air suspension, I did not do an alignment and had the same problem with good tire being worn fairly quickly. Every time after that when I either lowered it or raised it I had to took it to get aligned.

One of the times I took it to get aligned was after raising the car up some (had it slammed for a while and consequently caused camber that ate up the inside of my tires). One of the techs told me something similar about not being able to adjust the camber. They adjusted the rear tie rods, which helped more with toe rather than camber, but it did make a huge difference in tire wear.

Old 10-24-2018, 12:32 PM
Received 170 Likes on 140 Posts

Just had some alignment done on my 2004 Super V8. The picture shows the results before and after. The rear camber figures are slightly different but I don’t know if that is because they adjusted the Toe maybe.
I don’t know if this may be of help to you.

Old 10-24-2018, 12:33 PM
Received 170 Likes on 140 Posts

Alignment numbers

The following users liked this post:
Lagonia (10-24-2018)
Old 10-24-2018, 01:42 PM
Received 180 Likes on 101 Posts

- Rear can be adjusted for toe only

- Most coil over retrofits put the back axle high (to allow for rear passenger/trunk/fuel load - its a compromise)

- Generally speaking, this should tend to create some positive rear camber

- Worn rear arm bushes = negative camber

- Yours are probably worn out (this applies to most X350's)

- Ditto front bushings, though some adjustment is available

- Here are specs:

Alignment: SpecificationsAlignment SpecificationsNote: Settings must be checked with the vehicle at 'curb' height (unladen, with full tank of fuel).Front Suspension CamberLeft Hand .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..................................... -0.75° to +0.25°
Right Hand .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................... -1.25° to -0.25°
Balance (RH minus LH) .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ................ -1.20° to +0.20°CasterLeft Hand .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................... +6.78° to +8.18°
Right Hand .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................. +6.78° to +8.18°
Balance (RH minus LH) .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ................ -0.70° to +0.70°Toe .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .... -0.43° to -0.10°Rear Suspension CamberLeft Hand .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ...................................... -1.64° to -0.14°
Right Hand .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................... -1.64° to -0.14°
Balance (RH minus LH) .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ................ -0.75° to +0.75°ToeLeft Hand .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..................................... -0.02° to +0.18°
Right Hand .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ................................... -0.02° to +0.18°
Total Toe .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ...................................... +0.00° to +0.33°
Thrust Angle .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ................................ -0.10° to +0.10