XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

3 plug patch on D2B Optical to patch-in Voice?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2018, 11:12 AM
Received 150 Likes on 95 Posts
Default 3 plug patch on D2B Optical to patch-in Voice?

Okay so I finally found a Jaguar Voice module for a reasonable price. Only downside is its UK English, but I can do a fair imitation of Mick Jagger so hopefully it will understand me, lol.

Anyone see any reason I can't use the pictured 3 way patch to add it to the D2B loop in the right sequence? I know that the expected sequence of modules is:

CABIN/HEAD UNIT > CDC > PHONE > VOICE > NAV >AMP > CABIN/HEAD UNIT - and I plan to keep that sequence even though I have never found any logical reason for it to be necessary. I could go on about why it shouldn't make a difference during the wake-up of the loop, but I am not here to buck the system, I am here to follow the system even if it requires a short ceremony to honor Joe Lucas lol - rear here for some fun info: http://www.mez.co.uk/lucas.html
I don't have REAR ENTERTAINMENT but have all the other modules, including amp.

The pictures patch cable was designed (I think) to patch in a CDC without having to replace the entire rear look with one configured with the correct number of connections. Without twisting my brain to match the optical patch's twists, it would seem that as long as the IN and OUT are correct, having a female connector in the middle of this should allow the connection going to phone, and then put the phone, and voice modules onto the males would create a physical match to the sequence, without having to separate a connector to patch in a section.

3 way D2B patch 4R8T-14B548

Only drawback I can see is the physical lengths of optical cables and making it all sit well without crimping or over-bending the cable.

I would like consensus on if this is a workable ide before "going in" as we say. I have dabbled with D2B cables before with Venelin Efromov's Bluetooth module- of which I may be willing to sell mine, if I am successful adding aux-in at the single CD unit in the car per Ben Wilcox method.

Can I tap into the brain power of folks here such as Don, Cambo and the rest of you higher-level thinkers? For that I don't even need a patch cable, but rather, an internet connection!

Last edited by Blairware; 08-12-2018 at 11:20 AM.
Old 08-12-2018, 01:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,755 Likes on 1,326 Posts

Should be possible. 2006 MY electronics were updated over my 2005 XJR so not sure of the differences with D2B if any.

Have you looked in the module stack with the NAV player and other modules to make sure you have the plugs for the power supply?

Even tho I do not have In Car Entertainment, ICE, I did have an ICE optical connector with a loop in it that I was able to use.

One other thing do you have a microphone somewhere?

Last edited by jackra_1; 08-12-2018 at 02:05 PM.
Old 08-12-2018, 03:05 PM

Yep. I have the mic mounted near overhead console, as I have bluetooth adapter for phone module in center console and yes, I have the grey power connector for voice with an electrical loopback plug on it. I had a bad moment when I couldn't find it, but Vanden Plas cars are said to have it so I just kept looking and eureka! I also have a D2B loop /bypass on the loom for rear entertainment, labeled "REAR ICE"

I also have a strange open D2B plug on the floor, in the big white plastic carrier that all the wiring sits in. It's open, and labeled "BT Inline" and I have seen others with it, but have never seen a description of its purpose.
So all the ingredients are there for success. Perhaps I will just get in there, tip the stack onto its face, connect it all up the way I think is right with this patch, and just see if it works, right? D2B is not all that complicated, but the way they run it through the modules can be a bit confusing. As long as I take it slow and do one connection at a time, I should keep myself out of trouble. Any thoughts are appreciated!

Old 08-12-2018, 03:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,755 Likes on 1,326 Posts

Sounds like you are good to go.

I would guess the BT connection is for the old type phone setup.

Old 08-14-2018, 02:58 AM
Received 134 Likes on 82 Posts

TL inline goes to the CD/radio in the front of cabin

Last edited by alecescolme; 08-14-2018 at 03:20 AM.
Old 08-21-2018, 11:20 AM
Default Debrief / Conclusion

To not be the guy who disappears imediatley after getting resolution, I want to close out most of this discussion, I am posting "How did it end up" message. I understand people moving on when they have accomplished their goal, but lets face it, it can be a real let down when you are following a discussion only to see it abruptly cut off with no idea what the original post creator did to resolve the issue. It's like reading a book to find the last 2 pages missing.

In my case, as some others experienced I was lucky to find a useable connection already on the loop, that had been kept functional by a loopback. I am referring to a perhaps 5 or 6 inch section of D2B optical fiber with a female plug on it, and a large white label with the word "Loop" on it - for maximum redundant obviousness, lol. The intended component for this section was labeled "Rear ICE" which I have to assume is for the rear controller or perhaps the DVD Player itself for rear entertainment.

But I digress. The attached pictures show where I patched in, which fortunately was right after the phone module, so I stuck with the "order of modules" that is a rule everyone goes by but has not been definitively explained. The JaguarVoice Module works and is reliable, comes online 10 seconds after starting the car or switching the key to position "2" - My biggest disappointment is that this setup is that there is no functionality for "Display" commands or for "Navigation Commands for some reason. Possible explanations are
  1. The module is an earlier version that does not support Navigation - Labled 2R8F-14B292-BC - Do I need a BD module (UK English, revision D) or an AD module (US English, revision D) to support Navigation?
  2. The module is installed somehow incorrectly - the wrong position in the loop?
  3. My car needs some SDD instruction to enable it?
The reason I suspect the module itself is that my car will bring up a screen regarding adding a "Voice Tag" to a Navigation location or Waypoint. The argument for it NOT being the module is when I run the training setup, it includes Navigation commands such as:

20. navigation select zoom level eleven
and:
24. map show complete route
25. navigation clear next waypoint

I understand that this is a pre-configured set of generic commands, and the manual even states that "your car may not have all of the modules referred to" - but logic dictates that is the training subset is of a vintage that included those commands, then modules were being made that supported it. AND: My car DOES include Navigation. It does not add up. I tried (without Great Expectations) a battery disconnect rest procedure - 1 hour disconnect and touch pos,/neg. cables together for 30 seconds. NG

Dammit! If it plain did not support it I wouldn't be running scenarios in my head like a worry stone. But that it does support it under SOME conditions has me going nuts. I am open to comments, ideas suggestions (including "go find something important to do, lol) but I don't like unsolved puzzles. Is there some way to validate the install or (don't laugh to hard) update the firmware on the VACM?

Last edited by Blairware; 08-21-2018 at 11:30 AM. Reason: Decrease size of pictures further