XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

ABS Fault and Parking Sensor Failure

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2019, 03:13 AM
Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts
Default ABS Fault and Parking Sensor Failure

Hello All,

I need a little help. I’m tracking down 2 issues, ABS Fault and Parking Sensor Failure. First the most important:

I got several warning lights on the dash and messages that said “ABS fault”, “Adaptive Cruise not Available”, and “DSC Not Available”

I ordered a iCarsoft LR V2.0 scan tool specifically for Jaguar/Land Rover. I ran the scan in diagnostics mode and all kinds of codes were revealed. Seriously, like 60-80 codes. The diagnostics mode is an option on the home screen of the san tool. Supposedly, It scans up to 26 different modules for errors. This is a separate option from the OBDII scan also available from the home screen. Most of these codes had to do with voltages or grounds.

Having read plenty on here about how sensitive to batteries our cars are I also used the scan tool to check the voltages.

Here’s what I found:

Running - 14.3v
Key off - 12.3v
Key on (but engine not running) - 11.6v

I looked through my maintenance log for the car and found that the battery was 4 years old. I figured it was time for a replacement.

I installed a Smart Start Extreme battery from O’Rielly’s. 900CCA, 1000CA

With the new battery installed, I rechecked the voltages with the scan tool.

Running - 14.3v
Key off - 12.7v
Key on (but engine not running) - 12.4v

That looks better.

I’ve also read plenty of examples on here about the two grounding studs behind the headlights causing electrical problems. I removed the nuts from both and brushed everything with a brass bristle brush . I replaced everything with the addition of a little anti corrosion grease. I didn’t see anything that looked corroded and this probably wasn’t needed, but I figured I should rule it out.

Next, I used the scan tool to clear all the codes and then drove the car for about an hour.

I then re-ran the diagnostics search with the scan tool. Almost all of the codes are gone. Here’s the results showing what came back:

Engine control module:
No fault code found.

Transmission control module:
No fault code found.

ABS control module:
B1318 - Battery voltage low.
C1145 - Wheel speed front right input circuit failure.

Instrument pack:
No fault code found.

Air suspension:
No fault code found.

Climate control module:
No fault code found.

Drivers door module:
No fault code found.

Driver seat module:
No fault code found.

Electronic parking brake:
No fault code found.

General electronics control module:
No fault code found.

Navigation control module:
No fault code found.

Rear electronics control module:
No fault code found.

Audio unit:
No fault code found.

Amplifier:
No fault code found.

Restraints control module:
No fault code found.

Parking aid control module:
C1742 - Rear sounder - circuit failure.
C1716 - Right seat heater sensor fault - short circuit to ground.
C1715 - Right seat heater sensor fault - short circuit to battery/disconnected.
C1709 - Rear right center sensor - circuit failure
C1703 - Rear right corner sensor - circuit failure

I then went back to the home screen and ran the OBDII Code search. The scanner found this:

P1000 - The scanner tool said this was an unknown code.

So, where do I go from here? Replace the front right wheel speed sensor? Is that not integral to the hub? Will I need to replace the whole hub? If so, should I replace both the fronts as a pair?

I’ve looked on RockAuto and it looks like you can order just the sensor. It’s about $150. Am I just throwing parts at the car replacing this? Or is the the correct next step?

Also, I looks like you can order the hub (and it appears to include the sensor, for only $125. WTF?

I also saw these on eBay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Set-of-2-NE...53.m1438.l2649

I recall someone here mentioning these previously. A pair of new hubs for $75 and they appear to include the sensors? Am I missing something?

Fixing the ABS is my priority. Once that Is done, I need to figure out what’s going on with the Parking sensors. Is it just a matter of replacing the two sensors listed above? Have you run across this combination of parking sensor fault codes before? Where do you recommend getting the sensors from?

Thanks for the help and sorry for the long post. I wanted to list everything I had done so far.

Old 04-02-2019, 10:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 786 Likes on 664 Posts

Your not missing a thing;
I also saw the price, of just the sensor.
With the same W T F reaction
Same bearing hub assembly's are on both of my XJ8's.
Sensors included for that price.
They work fine, when installed.
Getting the old ones out, can sometimes be an issue.

Old 04-02-2019, 04:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 739 Likes on 622 Posts

You can buy just a sensor:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ABS-SENSO...QAAOSwV0RZjKD5

Do the rear park sensors work?

Old 04-02-2019, 08:24 PM

Well, I've ordered the pair of front hubs from Detroit Axle on eBay. Hopefully, that will fix the main problem. I'll report back once those are installed.

On to the Parking Sensors:

The codes above seem odd. What does the seat heater have to do with the parking sensors?

Meirion, no the parking sensors don't work I get a solid red light on the "P" button near the dome light and that's all. No tone.

Old 04-03-2019, 04:34 PM
Veteran Member

"The codes above seem odd. What does the seat heater have to do with the parking sensors?"

Nothing afik

Check wheel well for water ingress and condition of module and plug etc.

Old 04-06-2019, 01:23 PM
Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Hi MrWhite,

Good luck with the hub assemblies. I replaced both fronts a while back and they are a nightmare to get out if the old ones have been in there for a long time. Mine were originals and were completely fused in place. Some people take the suspension leg off and use a press to push out the old hub assembly. I had to hammer mine out and it took hours.

Thanks,

Chris

Old 04-06-2019, 04:53 PM

Chris,

Thanks for the info. I hope mine go smoothly, I believe they are the original hubs. I'll report back with my progress.

Jonathan

Old 04-06-2019, 07:33 PM
Veteran Member

They run from no big deal.
To making yourself a puller.
The one that lived in the Carolina's.
Was the no big deal one.
The other spent half it's life here in the rust belt.
Was a real treat, from the salt used on the roads.

Old 04-29-2019, 12:56 PM

Well.... I managed to change both the wheel hubs and it wasn't too difficult a job. It took me about 2.5 hours to do the first side and about 1.5 hours to do the other. Job always goes quicker when you know what you're doing. When I got done, I took it for a test drive and all the ABS and DSC codes had cleared. Yeaaaaaay! A $75 fix. I'm very happy.

Now I need to fix the parking sensor issues. As a reminder, these were the fault codes:

Parking aid control module:
C1742 - Rear sounder - circuit failure.
C1716 - Right seat heater sensor fault - short circuit to ground.
C1715 - Right seat heater sensor fault - short circuit to battery/disconnected.
C1709 - Rear right center sensor - circuit failure
C1703 - Rear right corner sensor - circuit failure

Where should I start? Replace the two sensors on the right side?

Do you have any recommended sources or vendors for these sensors?

​​​​​​​I've tried searching the forum, but I'm not coming up with anything.

Old 04-29-2019, 04:16 PM
Veteran Member

Can't beat Detroit Axle for prices, they seem fine on both of mine.
Glad your one more step closer to being finished.

Old 04-29-2019, 04:37 PM
Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Great work MrWhite. Glad you didn't have too much trouble getting the old hub assemblies out. Mine were a total nightmare when I did both mine. Not sure about yours, but mine appeared to be the originals so I'm not surprised mine where fused to the hub leg.

Old 04-29-2019, 08:40 PM
Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Have the parking sensors worked at all since you have had the car? The red light being on without pressing the button is a fault indicator. You can get the sensors from SNG Barratt, look under XJ Series X350 - Information Systems And Controls - Parking Aid.

Dave

Old 04-29-2019, 11:19 PM

Thanks guys! The wheel hubs weren't too bad of a job. I did have to use a 2 ½ lb hand sledge to get the old ones off, but they were persuaded in time.

JRT,

Yes the sensors used to work. I had the car painted and they haven't worked since. Today I took a mechanics stethoscope and listened to each sensor. As I would have predicted from looking at the codes, the rear center right and rear corner right sensors were silent. Surprisingly however the front right corner sensor was also silent even though no fault code was present for that sensor. All the other sensors had loud clicking sounds present.

The red light on the parking sensor switch stays on all the time indicating a fault. Also, when I shift into gear, I get a 3 second beep that I believe is also indicative of a fault. I should point out here that this beep clearly sounds like it is coming from the dash area of the car. It is definitely not coming from the rear deck where the parking sensor speaker is supposed to be located.

I looked in the boot and everything is bone dry as it should be. No signs of corrosion anywhere near the parking sensor control module or grounding stud.

With the speaker fault code present, I figure that I'm going to need to replace the speaker in addition to the three sensors. I found another thread here that listed the Ford part number for the correct speaker, so I'll have to pop up to the local ford dealership and order one. (They're only about $6).

Does any one know of a cheaper option than SNG Barratt for the sensors? I took a look at their site, but they want $35 each for the sensors.

Old 04-30-2019, 08:46 AM
Received 150 Likes on 95 Posts
Default Heres a few

I bought 2 parking sensors on Amazon for around $12 each, but the vendor shows "currently unavailable"

Heres 4 for $65, in case you think a few spares is a good idea:

4PCS For Jaguar X350 XK8 XJ8 X100 S-Type X-Type TIPO S Ultrasonic PDC Parking Sensor C2C29376
Amazon Amazon

Or these for $10.05 - they are at the right angle versions same as I bought. I figured a right angle will go anywhere, whereas the straight ones only go in the center positions. I may be wrong on that but figured the 90 degree plug angle one is more likely to fit in any position. Dont bet on it, of course, but at $10 they are worth having on hand

X AUTOHAUX C2C29377XXX Car Rear Bumper Reverse Backup Parking Assist Sensor for Jaguar X Type XF XK8 XKR
Amazon Amazon

I am very interested in the scanner that you purchased since I don't feel like pulling off both bumpers to test sensors. None of them make a ticking sound that I can hear with my 59 year old ears! Perhaps a mechanic's stethoscope it's exactly what I need to grab. Can you give me some info on that scanner. Obviously I get no details through OBD2. The odd part of my scenario is that mine work in hot weather perfectly. Anything over 75 degrees and they work perfectly. I'm a little tired that error beep all winter long LOL. Besides it's a long wheel base car why should I only be able to park it close to the wall in the summertime?

I haven't pulled my bumpers off because I don't know what sensors are failing or if it's the wiring being pinched or cut. The 10 mm bolts under the car are all firmly rusted on, because this car came from the Rust Belt. Never again well I buy a used car from Ohio, even if it is primarily aluminum. I was unaware they were still using salt up there in the winter.

Can you tell me which model scanner specifically and where you found it? Good luck with your parking sensors, you've done some good work so far.

Last edited by Blairware; 04-30-2019 at 08:53 AM.
Old 04-30-2019, 08:47 AM
Default Heres a few...

I bought 2 parking sensors on Amazon for around $12 each, but the vendor shows "currently unavailable"

Heres 4 for $65, in case you think a few spares is a good idea:

4PCS For Jaguar X350 XK8 XJ8 X100 S-Type X-Type TIPO S Ultrasonic PDC Parking Sensor C2C29376
Amazon Amazon

Or these for $10.05 - they are at the right angle versions same as I bought. I figured a right angle will go anywhere, whereas the straight ones only go in the center positions. I may be wrong on that but figured the 90 degree plug angle one is more likely to fit in any position. Dont bet on it, of course, but at $10 they are worth having on hand

X AUTOHAUX C2C29377XXX Car Rear Bumper Reverse Backup Parking Assist Sensor for Jaguar X Type XF XK8 XKR
Amazon Amazon

I am very interested in the scanner that you purchased since I don't feel like pulling off both bumpers to test sensors. None of them make a ticking sound that I can hear with my 59 year old ears! Perhaps a mechanic's stethoscope it's exactly what I need to grab. Can you give me some info on that scanner. Obviously I get no details through OBD2. The odd part of my scenario is that mine work in hot weather perfectly. Anything over 75 degrees and they work perfectly. I'm a little tired that error beep all winter long LOL. Besides it's a long wheel base car why should I only be able to park it close to the wall in the summertime?

I haven't pulled my bumpers off because I don't know what sensors are failing or if it's the wiring being pinched or cut. The 10 mm bolts under the car are all firmly rusted on, because this car came from the Rust Belt. Never again well I buy a used car from Ohio, even if it is primarily aluminum. I was unaware they were still using salt up there in the winter.

Can you tell me which model scanner specifically and where you found it? Good luck with your parking sensors, you've done some good work so far.

Old 04-30-2019, 05:56 PM
Veteran Member

When they painted the car was the bumper removed?

Old 04-30-2019, 11:14 PM

Blairware, Thanks for the links. I've been wondering about the straight vs. right angle sensors. I wonder if the right angle ones will fit everywhere?

The code scanner that I bought is an "iCarsoft Professional Multi-System Auto Diagnostic Tool LR V2.0". It can be found here:
Amazon Amazon

The mechanic's stethoscope that I bought was really cheap and it works great. If you have a Harbor Freight near you, it's worth picking one up. They're only $4. https://www.harborfreight.com/mechan...ope-63691.html

Meirion, Yeah, it was a very thorough paint job and the bumpers were removed. I think the sensors were removed for painting and then re-installed. I don't think they were sprayed over.

Old 05-01-2019, 04:58 AM
Veteran Member

There does not seem to be any difference between rt angle and straight senors.

You should check wiring and connections inside the bumper.

Old 05-01-2019, 08:31 AM

Thanks MrWhite. I ordered a stethesope yesterday from Amazon for $9. Surprised that I've gone this long without one!

I'm going to grab the scanner. I've been using Torque Pro for Android and a Bluetooth OBD reader forever, but its limited to primarily engine codes. It does some interesting performance stats. Not sure how accurate GPS /OBD2 acceleration testing is, but after several passes, of 5.9 seconds, I got a 5.6 second 0-60 measurement. Thats right in line with Jaguars published numbers for the NA 4.2 X350. With 99k on the clock, I'm happy to see the car still performs "as new"

Now for the icarsoft Scanner. The more you know, the more you know. I didn't come up with that myself. I think it was Socrates or maybe Yogi Berra. Information is power!

Old 06-04-2019, 10:32 PM

Following up on this thread and I'm happy to report that the issues are all resolved.

I am left scratching my head a little though.

As I posted before, the two rear right sensors were showing fault codes. When I listened to all of the sensors those two were indeed quiet, but also was the front right. I ordered three sensors from SNG Barratt. My car was going in to the bodyshop to have the trunk lid repainted (it had blistered after some previous paintwork) and the bodyshop painted the new sensors for me.

The new sensors were installed, but the system was still in fault. In fact is started throwing fault codes for most of the other parking sensors that had been working fine. When the new sensor from SNG Barratt was installed in the front right position, all four of the front sensors stopped working and went silent. When the old sensor was re-installed the front four started working again. ???

At this point, the system was still in fault, but I was getting a sound from all eight sensors when listening with a stethoscope. I cleared all the codes and then re-scanned for them. The only code showing now was "C1742 - Rear sounder - circuit failure."

I took the car home and removed the rear seat. What a pain in the *** that was! Thank god for this forum; I wouldn't have known how to do it without previous posts here. Getting the rear deck out was not easy, but once it was out, I swapped the speaker and reinstalled everything. I got the speaker at the ford dealership. $8 versus $48 from Jag for the same thing.

Once done, I cleared the codes with my scan tool and re-scanned one last time. No codes.... Yeaaaaaay!

​​​​​​​I tested the sensors and all seem to be working well.

​​​​​​​I still don't know about that one sensor that I got from SNG Barratt... It wouldn't work when installed, but the old one now works. I don't know if I got a bad sensor, or if it was all the random codes that were showing up? Either way, it's not like it can be returned, as it's been painted green.

​​​​​​​I'm just happy everything is now working.

The following users liked this post:

Quick Reply: ABS Fault and Parking Sensor Failure