XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

AC was not working, Accidentally Solved by Releasing Pressure

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2019, 01:54 PM
Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts
Default AC was not working, Accidentally Solved by Releasing Pressure

Weather in Nashville, TN is getting warmer lately. My wife noticed that the AC was not getting cold and it was more like blowing ambient temperature air or warmer. I do have an Icarsoft 930, which specifically designed for Jaguars and there was no error code detected that associated with climate control . I read somewhere in this forum that this specific Jaguar 's AC will shut down if low freon pressure detected. I am confused since if this event occurred, there will be an error code for low or high pressure. Assuming the Jaguar had low pressure since I never recharged the AC system and it's 2004 model. I went ahead and attempt to add more Freon. The low pressure side port was reading at 70 PSI. I could not hook those to the high pressure side since both the low and high ports on this Jaguar are situated close to each other; and I have a high end AC manifold with bulky connections. Hence sometime is better to buy cheap unit. Also, I have not diagnosed if the compressor was running. I attempted to add more Freon, which the system now at 75 psi and the system would not take additional Freon. Also, I noticed the coolant fans were running at higher rpm than usual. The coolant fans will turn on high when I turned on AC; and it stayed at high rpm even after I turned off AC. After attempt to charge the AC system with additional Freon, I got a P2516 code which indicated the AC system either had low or high pressure. At this point, with the low pressure port still hook up, I relieved pressure from the low side slowly from 75 psi and once it hits 45 psi, the AC system suddenly worked and produced cold air again and the coolant fans no longer ran at high rpm. I accidently solved the issue. I believed there is an internal valve inside the compressor that froze up since AC has not been used all winter. By relieving the pressure, it released the stuck valve. I hope this issue was a onetime event and not it was not a sign that new compressor s needed in the near future.