XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Air Susp fault > New compressor > Vehicle too low

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2014, 08:04 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Air Susp fault > New compressor > Vehicle too low

Maybe someone knows why this happened?

I started to get the air suspension fault a couple months ago two cool mornings in a row while we were in the mountains. It went away both times on its own and didn’t happen again for a couple of months. It progressed from a couple times a week to everyday.

I measured the height at all four corners and they checked OK even after being parked for 24 hours. So I thought great no leaks, I’ll order a piston ring from bagpipingandy. It comes in a couple of days and when replacing it I notice some score marks but replace anyway, same problem. I email Andy and he says that the piston has worn through the Teflon coating in the cylinder wall and suggests that the only fix is to replace the compressor.

I replaced the compressor yesterday and I notice that the front of the car is awful low. I start the car and I watch the front of the car rise to almost full height, hear the compressor cut out and I then watch it lower. The compressor kicks in, starts to rise, kicks out and lowers again. Now the new compressor is heated up and only runs for 10 seconds at a time and I have the Vehicle too Low message but the rear height is fine.

So I say to myself WTF? $405 and now my problem is worse!

I check the pressure with SDD and the highest it gets while running is about 7.7 bar. I can see the solenoids to the front shocks open and close. At his point I don’t know what to think, the shocks were holding air and begin to want to blame the only thing that changed which is the new compressor.So I put the old one back and the highest pressure now is about 3.9 bar. An hours job has turned into almost a day and I give up.

Thinking about it I figure maybe there’s some thing with the air suspension module. I pull the suspension fuse (#12 in the trunk fuse box) and leave it out overnight. This morning I replace the fuse and start the car. I stare at a fixed point above the leaper and watch the care rise and rise until it starts to go down with the compressor still running but then rises and the compressor cuts out. I shut the car off and the car stays up. I go in the house to see if it holds and it does.

Does anyone have any idea what’s going on? Could there be aproblem with the module too?

( I drove the car several times today and everything is fine. No messages and I haven't cleared the codes yet.)

Last edited by jc4745; 09-27-2014 at 07:40 PM. Reason: Additional info