XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Air Suspension Fault C2303 Reservoir Plausibility Error

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 08:59 AM
Received 12,755 Likes on 6,388 Posts

Originally Posted by Bagpipingandy
we don't have anything official, I'm sure there will be some clips but i couldn't put you through that pain don!!

andy
Andy,

I actually do like bag pipes, in moderation! As someone once said, "Eight bars is worth a thousand words...."

And to be fair to our Irish members, I like the uillean pipes too....

Cheers,

Don

Old 06-19-2014, 10:21 AM
Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Update: The car just came back from having the air compressor seals changed and the valves checked. Unfortunately it still gives the same "Air suspension fault" error. There doesn't seem to be any overt leaks that cause car lowering. Does anyone have any other suggestions as to what else I should check? Thanks

Old 06-19-2014, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by klfong
Update: The car just came back from having the air compressor seals changed and the valves checked. Unfortunately it still gives the same "Air suspension fault" error. There doesn't seem to be any overt leaks that cause car lowering. Does anyone have any other suggestions as to what else I should check? Thanks

Hi klfong,

Sorry to hear you're still having issues. Do you still have the same C2303 code, or are there additional fault codes stored?

Don

Old 06-19-2014, 09:20 PM
Received 1,420 Likes on 1,063 Posts

Originally Posted by klfong
was the code cleared after the seal was replaced? These codes need to be cleared.

The following 2 users liked this post by abonano:
AD2014 (06-22-2014), Don B (06-20-2014)
Old 06-20-2014, 11:29 AM

Thanks for the replies. No the codes haven't been cleared yet as my indy's computer died and I'm waiting for him to get his new programme and computer running again. Will check the code once it's ready and reset everything. Hopefully that solves the problem.

Other than that, the manner in which the fault comes up is just as random as prior to having the air-pump's piston ring and seals changed.

Old 06-20-2014, 05:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 740 Likes on 623 Posts

It could be anamoulus-this Jag suffers from anamoulus symptoms but I have never

heard or read about this one.

It could be the pressure transducer but seems unlikely.

It might be worth checking the transducer wiring in the boot.

Last edited by meirion1; 06-20-2014 at 05:44 PM.
Old 07-05-2014, 08:30 PM

Ok, after two more weeks of running the car without yet having the codes checked or reset, the error messages seemed to have died down this week (don't ask me why). Unfortunately, I've just lost a rear air spring now, and I'm studying the options.

I'm likely to to call it quits and switch to the coil over system as this air spring system has been the main reason the car has been in and out of the workshop over my last five years of ownership (apart from the radiator, electric fan, hoses, bushes, transmission filter change, radio, headliner, door lock and replacement supercharger....), so it looks like I won't get a definitive answer as to why the error code came up, even after doing the compressor seal overhaul. Maybe the seal needs a bit of time to bed in?

At least now my indy has a source for rebuilding the seals of the air compressor for the Benz's and Bentley's that he repairs.

Old 04-19-2020, 11:47 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Dear all,

I'm coming back to that old thread. Allthough I've changed the compressor to a new WABCO I'm still getting the C2303 message. What I've realised, is the fact that I hear a permanent rhytmical clicking, which seems to come from the area of the right front strut. Even after 1 - 2 days without moving the car the clicking is always there. I'm a musician, but eventhough I can't really hear what's the source of it.
So, is this clicking a known sign of an air leak?

Thanks in advance for your answers and greetings from Berlin,

Ramón

Old 04-20-2020, 04:08 AM
Received 88 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramoncello
Dear all,

I'm coming back to that old thread. Allthough I've changed the compressor to a new WABCO I'm still getting the C2303 message. What I've realised, is the fact that I hear a permanent rhytmical clicking, which seems to come from the area of the right front strut. Even after 1 - 2 days without moving the car the clicking is always there. I'm a musician, but eventhough I can't really hear what's the source of it.
So, is this clicking a known sign of an air leak?

Thanks in advance for your answers and greetings from Berlin,

Ramón
hi Ramón

was it a genuine wabco unit? Where did you buy from? There are a lot of cheap copies now, some which don’t work well,

did you clear the error and it returns ?

the clicking can be the car adjusting when parked, (the valves click open and shut)

confirm if the code returns when cleared and what compressor was fitted

regards

andy

Old 04-20-2020, 04:28 AM

hi Ramón

was it a genuine wabco unit? Where did you buy from? There are a lot of cheap copies now, some which don’t work well,

did you clear the error and it returns ?

the clicking can be the car adjusting when parked, (the valves click open and shut)

confirm if the code returns when cleared and what compressor was fitted

regards

andy
Hi Andy,
thanks for your reply. After having bought your kit my mechanic has tried to install it on the original compressor. Unfortunatelly one of the bolts was so rusty that by trying to get it out it has broken in a place where there was no way to fix it and to get the unit tight . So, there was no other way than to buy a new one. It's this one C2C27702 Jaguar XJ Serie (X350, X358) Kompressor C2C27702E, Ersatzteile rund um die Luftfederung .
The sellers assure that it's WABCO, but without the printed name on it.

I have cleared the DTC several times with SDD, it comes after few kilometers back. The SDD height adjustment works without problems. When I clear the error with my iCarsoft 930 the amber light and the fault message remain, but after having parked the car for a while it disappears. And than the same story comes back.

Have a nice day,
Ramón

Old 04-21-2020, 04:02 AM

Ok, if it has no wabco markings it is likely a Chinese unit, a genuine wabco will have wabco embossed on 3 areas, check my photo, the cylinder head, the motor casing and plastic body. If no markings then it’s definitely Chinese which can be hit or miss if they work.

the error you get after 5 mins is the compressor trying to fill the tank, this is the biggest test for the compressor, so it’s either compressor not strong enough or an issue at the tank, if you still have my kit you could fit it to the new compressor, a few have reported this to work, other than that I’m still blaming the compressor, all faults point to not enough pressure.

best regards

andy

The following users liked this post:
paydase (04-22-2020)
Old 04-21-2020, 08:37 AM

Ok, if it has no wabco markings it is likely a Chinese unit, a genuine wabco will have wabco embossed on 3 areas, check my photo, the cylinder head, the motor casing and plastic body. If no markings then it’s definitely Chinese which can be hit or miss if they work.

the error you get after 5 mins is the compressor trying to fill the tank, this is the biggest test for the compressor, so it’s either compressor not strong enough or an issue at the tank, if you still have my kit you could fit it to the new compressor, a few have reported this to work, other than that I’m still blaming the compressor, all faults point to not enough pressure.

best regards

andy
The selling company is assuring that my new compressor is made on the same conveyor as WABCO and that it's by no means made in China.

Old 04-21-2020, 09:45 AM

The selling company is assuring that my new compressor is made on the same conveyor as WABCO and that it's by no means made in China.
Wabco is very proud of their products, and in my experience all of their pumps are clearly marked Wabco, even if they are also branded with an automaker name such as Audi, Jaguar, Mercedes-Benz, Land Rover, etc. I would be highly suspect of the pump you purchased and its seller.

Note that the C2303 code does not directly indicate a problem with the compressor - its definition is an air leak in the system. It's just that a common cause of the code is the compressor taking too long to pressurize the system due to a worn piston ring, which Andy's kit usually cures. You might look for leaks elsewhere, particularly near the reservoir and valve block, where they can be difficult to hear under the sound-insulating cover and spare wheel.

Cheers,

Don

The following users liked this post:
AD2014 (01-30-2023)
Old 04-21-2020, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by Don B
Wabco is very proud of their products, and in my experience all of their pumps are clearly marked Wabco, even if they are also branded with an automaker name such as Audi, Jaguar, Mercedes-Benz, Land Rover, etc. I would be highly suspect of the pump you purchased and its seller.

Note that the C2303 code does not directly indicate a problem with the compressor - its definition is an air leak in the system. It's just that a common cause of the code is the compressor taking too long to pressurize the system due to a worn piston ring, which Andy's kit usually cures. You might look for leaks elsewhere, particularly near the reservoir and valve block, where they can be difficult to hear under the sound-insulating cover and spare wheel.

Cheers,

Don
Thanks for your answer, Don.

I've checked today the reservoir and the valve block with a leak spray but couldn't find anything wrong there.
Would it make sense to lower the car with the SDD, which I have, and than recalibrate it? Probably I would be able to hear some air leak than....

Cheers,
Ramón

Old 04-22-2020, 04:12 AM

Would it make sense to lower the car with the SDD, which I have, and than recalibrate it? Probably I would be able to hear some air leak than....

Cheers,
Ramón

DO NOT calibrate, if you try to calibrate with a fault it can loose the calibration, this is not a calibration issue, follow the fault code, as Don it suggests low pressure, which is either the compressor or a leak between the compressor and tank, triple check for leaks and inspect the compressor for wabco markings as my previous photo, miessler definitely sell Chinese stock sold as “assembled in Germany” not all Chinese is bad but for sure some don’t even work out the box. Can you check the tank pressure with your diagnostic software measuring blocks rather than calibrate using it?

this will help tell you if there is a leak and indeed check the compressor performance

best regards

andy

Old 04-22-2020, 11:00 AM

Dear all,

I don't want to be too early excited, but it seems that I've found the error. I've written about the strange constant klicking. Today I've found out that it was a faulty NEW air suspension relay which came together with the new compressor. After exchanging it with the old one, which I kept, the clicking has stoped. After a drive of around 15 Km no error code. Usually it came after few minutes.

FINGERS CROSSED!

Will keep you posted. Anyway - thanks for your help,
Ramón

The following 2 users liked this post by Ramoncello:
Bagpipingandy (04-23-2020), Don B (04-22-2020)
Old 04-22-2020, 12:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 786 Likes on 664 Posts

All too often the new parts are faulty
The vendor may make it right with you, lets hope so.

Old 04-22-2020, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Wingrider
All too often the new parts are faulty
The vendor may make it right with you, lets hope so.
I've reported the issue to the vendor - they have sent me immediately a new relay.

Old 04-22-2020, 03:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 786 Likes on 664 Posts

Great news, thats the way things should be handled when issues like this arise.

Old 04-23-2020, 03:38 AM

Sounds good, Keep is posted

Quick Reply: Air Suspension Fault C2303 Reservoir Plausibility Error