XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

auto window/sunroof closing when locking via FOB

Old 07-07-2013, 08:57 PM
Received 45 Likes on 21 Posts
Default auto window/sunroof closing when locking via FOB

Folks, any reason why I can open all windows and skylight when unlocking with the FOB (holding down the button), but the windows/skylight will not close when I lock it with the FOB? I can do both if I insert the key in the door and turn and hold (open and close), but they don't close when I use the FOB and hold it down. Is there any programming or something I need to do in order to make it work? Or some sort of safety override that I need to turn off?

Thanks in advance.

Gordon

Old 07-08-2013, 01:20 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,143 Likes on 749 Posts

You guessed correctly, its a safety feature typically left deactivated for US markets. It can be turned on using the dealer software, either bribe you're jag service tech with pizza, donuts, or golf ***** during your next visit for an alignment, and ask him to turn it on. It takes 5 min. I, and a few others are fortunate to have the same software and a cable to talk to our own cars like the dealer. We've used it to lower the front and rear suspension, enable 'global opening', activated both driver and pass mirror dipping in reverse, clear tranny adaptions, etc.

Old 07-08-2013, 11:49 AM
Received 256 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by slmskrs
Folks, any reason why I can open all windows and skylight when unlocking with the FOB (holding down the button), but the windows/skylight will not close when I lock it with the FOB? I can do both if I insert the key in the door and turn and hold (open and close), but they don't close when I use the FOB and hold it down. Is there any programming or something I need to do in order to make it work? Or some sort of safety override that I need to turn off?

Thanks in advance.

Gordon

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/showthread.php?p=764175

Some good info in the address pasted above. Seems like some can enable the global close....

Thanks

The following users liked this post:
slmskrs (07-10-2013)
Old 07-10-2013, 08:35 AM
Received 45 Likes on 21 Posts

I don't follow the logic that it is "unsafe" to hold down the key fob lock button to global close, whereas holding the key in the door to do the same thing is unsafe, especially since a release of either stops the close.

My dealer will surely charge me. I don't know if the independent guys have the ability to do it (I'll have to check), and somehow I suspect the SW and cable to talk to the car and configure it (and lots of other fun stuff) is either not available in the US (since we might hurt ourselves), or prohibitively expensive. So not something that will easily be reprogrammed...... I'll talk about it the next time I'm talking to my independent.

On a side note, what is the speed or other parameters that lower the car, and how much does it lower?

Thanks.

Old 12-02-2014, 02:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

here is how you program it with the car unlocked open all the windows and the sun roof. above the ac controls the is a button that locks and unlocks the car press it and hold it till every thing is closed

Old 12-03-2014, 10:16 PM
Received 150 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by slmskrs

On a side note, what is the speed or other parameters that lower the car, and how much does it lower?

Thanks.
Car lowers 15 mm (I think that's correct) at 100 mph + after 5 seconds. Raises to original height when speed decreases to 88 mph or less after 5 seconds. I have tested it, and there is a message displayed stating "ride height lowered" but obviously don't advise anyone do so unless you are willing to accept the con$equence$.

I think the "safety" point in global closing is that with the key in the drivers door, you could see a person's hand/arm/head or whatever (use your imagination here) sticking out an open window. With a fob you could theoretically close all while not being able to view every window. In our litigation happy society, stuff like this is the price we all pay. Sad times.

Old 12-08-2014, 06:23 PM
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

I recently purchased the Jaguar SDD and discovered the locking options. After some thought, I have disabled both universal opening and closing.

While it might make sense to some, I hadn't realized the vehicle would open itself up until one day when I came back to my car after carrying several boxes. Seems the key fob in my pocket was being squished by the boxes as I walked. I really didn't appreciate not knowing my car was sitting wide open like that, but that's just me.

Other options in the SDD programming deal with mirror dipping in reverse (both/either side), wiper after swipe, daytime running lights (Can or US settings), and a few other odds and ends.

Old 12-09-2014, 12:45 PM
Received 150 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by badd8t1
here is how you program it with the car unlocked open all the windows and the sun roof. above the ac controls the is a button that locks and unlocks the car press it and hold it till every thing is closed
Okay, this only succeeded in giving me false hope. Has this method of "programming" worked of anyone? I remain doubtful because a) it did absolutely nothing for me and b) if a user accessible method like this worked I would expect to see many references in the forums, as well as a few success stories.

I went out to my car to try this at 1 am on a cold night, but I really want this feature. Ran through the sequence a few times. No joy. I strongly suspect that, like the mirror dipping feature this one cannot be enabled by some "secret sequence" if anyone can disprove that and offer said sequence, I welcome the experience of being proven wrong.

Old 12-09-2014, 05:58 PM
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Blairware
Okay, this only succeeded in giving me false hope. Has this method of "programming" worked of anyone? I remain doubtful because a) it did absolutely nothing for me and b) if a user accessible method like this worked I would expect to see many references in the forums, as well as a few success stories.

I went out to my car to try this at 1 am on a cold night, but I really want this feature. Ran through the sequence a few times. No joy. I strongly suspect that, like the mirror dipping feature this one cannot be enabled by some "secret sequence" if anyone can disprove that and offer said sequence, I welcome the experience of being proven wrong.
I tried it as well and no luck. The only way to close them all at the same time like you want is to hold that button above the a/c down while your inside the car. Holding that down will open and close it.
That's all I got. If anyone figures out how to close it with the key fob please let me know.

Regards
Travis