XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Backup Camera Installation

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 02:16 PM
Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Backup Camera Installation

Greetings fellow Jaguar enthusiasts.
I've read many posts here on the form regarding backup cams and nav mods and such, so I'm hoping someone may have a word of advise for me.
I installed a NavTool device this week in my 2006 XJ8 L and as it turns out the camera comes on in Park and Neutral as well as Drive! However, when shifting into Reverse I'm seeing the navigation screen. Of course this is exactly the opposite result I'm looking for.
Upon checking voltages at the reverse lamp I find there is always a positive voltage present. 5volts whenever I'm in park or other gear selection and 12volts when in reverse. Apparently this 5 volts is enough to switch the device
I sent a text to NavTool and I'm told I'm on the "wrong" backup light. I must find a point which is 12 volts when in reverse and earth or ground when in any other position. I have searched and tested for this condition everywhere and I'm not finding a point to tap.
I am only interested in the backup camera option so I haven't had to connect to the parking brake. also the camera looks great when it functions, it's just working in reverse! (No pun intended!)
Has anyone had better luck with this installation?
Any suggestion or a schematic showing a tap point for 12 volts when selecting reverse would be most appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Old 05-16-2013, 03:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 737 Likes on 465 Posts

The nav tool expect +12v when the brake light is on. Ours supply +12 with the light off

You need to connect a spdt relay to the brake circuit
The coil is connected to ground and the brake light.
Connect the switched common to +12 and the NO contact to the navtool

Cheers
34by151

The following users liked this post:
Rrd623 (05-16-2013)
Old 08-20-2013, 10:55 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is this what you used for the back-up camera hookup?
03 09 Jaguar XJ Series Navigation Video Converter ADD DVD NAV TV Back UP Camera | eBay

Please provide photos of where you tapped into the Nav system (trunk?) and how you mounted the camera!

Thanks!

-Burt

Old 08-20-2013, 11:36 PM
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

I haven't gotten one of these yet, but it's on the short list....I did check out some of their PDFs though on install and it does appear that it installs in the trunk

Old 08-21-2013, 03:59 AM
Veteran Member

Video Interface
Universal RGB Video Interface. Buy Video Interface Online.

I have this controlling the OEM Nav, Aftermarket Android Nav, Phone Video, Reverse and Side cameras

Side Camera Interface
Universal Car Camera Interface. Car Solutions Online Store

or this iof you want split screen as well, I have the one above

Car 4 Channel Colour Quad Splitter. Car Solutions Online Store

Cheers
34by151

Old 08-21-2013, 06:55 AM

Hello Thxalot,
Yes, the NavTool you indicate is the device I used.
Regarding images, this will be impossible for a while as I'm presently in FL and my Cat is in PA.
The install should be accomplished in the rear, behind the DVD/GPS. As you have no doubt read already, you must install a spdt relay to accomplish proper switching. I installed it with a socket which made for a cleaner install and mounting.
As for a camera, I selected a model which mounted on the license plate. I'm not sure I would recommend this to anyone because it prevented the use of the trunk key for opening the boot lid. Not good if for any reason you aren't able to use the fob or otherwise activate the lock solenoid.
I had to disassemble the camera and reassemble it so the camera was upside down and located at the bottom of the frame. Otherwise the image would be inverted.
A that to say, I wouldn't choose a plate mount again! I removed the boot lid dressing and fished the wire down the existing rubber wire race into the trunk and back to the electronics on the left side of the vehicle.
Hope this is helpful. Sorry I couldn't provide images. This installation is definately worth the time
Good luck!
RRD623

Old 08-21-2013, 10:07 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great information RRD623. Thanks for all the suggestions.

34by151, your setup also sounds fantastic. Do you have any photos of the install? I would especially love to see what the screen looks like when it is showing the side and rear view cameras. Also, can you show us where you mounted all the cameras?

Lastly, what Android Nav system are you using?

Thanks again!

-Burt

Old 08-22-2013, 04:18 AM
Veteran Member

Pics are in the entertainment section, OEM Nav replacement thread

I started with this WinCE 5 nav unit
CS9200RV Navigation Box. GPS Car Navigation for OEM Monitors

And upgraded to an android unit
CS9900 Car Navigation Box on Android for OEM Car Monitors. Buy Online

Although I have the unit out at the moment for other reasons
I'm half way through remapping the steering wheel controls so I have the nav on the bench to work on it

The android give the same functions as a phone, internet, email, igo nav ext
It comes with a 3g dongle but im not using that.
I have a cradle for my Droid4. When the Droid4 goes in the cradle it enables a wifi hotspot, the nav connects via wifi for internet access.
this way I done need a second sim card (or bill!!!)

Cheers
34by151

Old 03-06-2015, 11:18 PM
Received 150 Likes on 120 Posts
Default tell me som'n please.

Ok guys, can you tell me where/how you ran the wire for the camera to get to the trunk/boot?.

I always map things out before I even get equipment, just so I know what I'm doing before hand; but that's the 1 thing I can't seem to figure out...

Old 03-07-2015, 01:02 AM
Veteran Member

I have lots of pics and info in the audio section.
The reverse light is wired opposite to whet the video interfaces need

IE its 0 volts with the reverse light on and +12 with it off

You can either fit a transistor or a SPDT relay
You will also find these called "Horn Relays" at the auto part store

See here
30A Horn Relay - SPDT - Jaycar Electronics

Cheers
34by151

The following 2 users liked this post by 34by151:
Marque (03-07-2015), mastersid (05-03-2015)
Old 03-07-2015, 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by 34by151
I have lots of pics and info in the audio section.
The reverse light is wired opposite to whet the video interfaces need

IE its 0 volts with the reverse light on and +12 with it off

You can either fit a transistor or a SPDT relay
You will also find these called "Horn Relays" at the auto part store

See here
30A Horn Relay - SPDT - Jaycar Electronics

Cheers
34by151
I'm actually using your thread as somewhat of a guide! (I say "somewhat" because you have a small home security system in your car, so it's a bit hard to follow) hahaha

But seriously, great stuff though! That being said, I may go with the more simple Navtool instead of the Universal interface that you have, being as much as I've look @ your diagram, along with a diagram I was sent from Car Solutions, I'm just not "sure" I have it.

But my main question was, where or how are you guys running the camera wires to the trunk from outside the license plate, or wherever you have it installed? I haven't quite figured out where to get it in just yet; I'm getting a license plate camera (Boyo HD cam)

So, just trying to figure out how to actually get the wires from the plate to inside the trunk.

(Also, I'm gonna keep studying your diagram a few more days before I make my decision on whether to get the Navtool or the Universal interface)

Old 03-07-2015, 04:00 AM
Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

Some time ago I started a thread about my NavTool installation - somewhere in the thread you'll find a diagram of the transistor/resistor hookup I used to get the 12V on the orange wire only when in reverse.

Ray

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...lation-115861/

Marque (03-07-2015)
Old 03-07-2015, 05:40 AM
Veteran Member

The camera wires follow the licence plate wiring

The interface is mounted above the NAV/DVD and the wires follow the harness around the boot and up the rubber hose into the boot lid.
From there the camera needs a hole in the boot behind the license plate frame

I used a camera cable that has coax and power in the one cable

Cheers
34by151

Marque (03-07-2015)
Old 03-07-2015, 07:00 AM

The camera wires follow the licence plate wiring

The interface is mounted above the NAV/DVD and the wires follow the harness around the boot and up the rubber hose into the boot lid.
From there the camera needs a hole in the boot behind the license plate frame

I used a camera cable that has coax and power in the one cable

Cheers
34by151
I'm assuming when you say "license plate wiring", you're speaking in regard to the plate lights above the plate itself correct? That was the only thing I kept thinking as I did my mapping, but I hadn't yet tried to remove anything as of yet...

Old 03-07-2015, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by rayalbers
Some time ago I started a thread about my NavTool installation - somewhere in the thread you'll find a diagram of the transistor/resistor hookup I used to get the 12V on the orange wire only when in reverse.

Ray

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...lation-115861/
Hi Ray; I actually posted my same initial question in your thread as well; I actually have the relay already & got the diagram for it; I just wasn't certain on how to get wires from outside (plate area) to the inside of the car without drilling a hole.

MUCH gratitude to all of you for the responses too!..

Old 03-07-2015, 08:41 AM
Default Rear camera install

Marque,
I ran the wire through the right licence plate light opening.
I drilled a hole in the plastic lens just large enough to pass the plug through, (sorry I don't remember the exact dimension) then used the grommet provided with the camera kit.
I did so thinking the lens could be replaced easily and with relatively little expense.
Good luck with your install.

Marque (03-07-2015)
Old 03-07-2015, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by Rrd623
Marque,
I ran the wire through the right licence plate light opening.
I drilled a hole in the plastic lens just large enough to pass the plug through, (sorry I don't remember the exact dimension) then used the grommet provided with the camera kit.
I did so thinking the lens could be replaced easily and with relatively little expense.
Good luck with your install.
Gotcha'. Thanks man. Looks like some sort of drilling will have to take place then!..

Old 05-29-2015, 02:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello.
Last week i have installed a navtool with wixi backup camera.
The screen has while lines when in reverse. ..
And i had to disconnect a reverse lamp. Because when i m in reverse the reverse light works like the orange one...
So why ?
And does anyone knows why my screen got whotes lines ? Tks for help.

Old 05-29-2015, 03:09 PM
Veteran Member

Is the camera PAL or NTSC?

Cheers
34by151

Old 05-29-2015, 04:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,170 Likes on 2,338 Posts

Is the camera PAL or NTSC?

Cheers
34by151
Hi Guy, I think the reason 34by151 is asking is that our Jags use an NTSC system so you can’t use PAL camera without a convertor. Please respond to that question first. If you have a PAL camera, try swapping for NTSC camera or get a convertor.

Most other causes for this static is simple electrical interference. Does the problem occur when the car is running, just when the ignition is on but the engine isn't running or both?

If it only occurs when running, check your connections and look for ways to shield the wiring from whatever is causing the interference.

Also if you have anything "bluetooth" running (like your phone), see if the problem replicates without bluetooth OFF. Cheaper cameras can be affected by bluetooth believe it or not.

Please reply to each question separately as my brain just works better that way when we deal with each problem one at a time.

Also please clarify the following sentence as I don't quite understand the meaning:
"And i had to disconnect a reverse lamp. Because when i m in reverse the reverse light works like the orange one..."

Quick Reply: Backup Camera Installation