XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Bluetooth that Almost works (but not quite)

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 03:13 PM
Received 150 Likes on 95 Posts
Default Bluetooth that Almost works (but not quite)

One of the things I happily accepted when coming back into the Jaguar fold was that I would not have cutting edge technology as far as music and phones are concerned. That doesn't mean I don't want to make the absolute most of what I have. As it turned out my 2006 XJ8L isn't completely in the dark ages. I have Navigation that I updated to the latest maps and OS (2011-2012) It works quite well actually.

Something that at first pleased me has turned into a source of frustration. I discovered that I DO have a Bluetooth option, but I have been unsuccessful in making it work as designed. After numerous web searches and Forum searches I suddenly remembered another method of getting to the problem; the old pathetic cry for help!

Here's what I am dealing with. I have q bunch of phones but so far they all behave exactly the same - Mainly I am using an HTC One M8 and a Samsung Galaxy Note 3 -two very popular devices and Flagship models for their respective makers (The Note 4 is about to hit AT&T in the next week)

Get the Bluetooth in the car in discover mode: (##3#*# then select the green phone icon. The screen now says "Discover me" Then select "Jaguar" from the phone and use "1313" the phone shows itself as paired. The car shows the screen that says: "Phone in use, please replace to end call or mute and replace to continue call" or similar, and that screen comes off and on every 30 seconds or so. It also says "No BT Phone" or occasionally "Registered"

If you watch Bluetooth on the phone you can see it disconnecting and then connecting every 20 or 30 seconds. This is difficult to diagnose since its intermittent. If it would not connect at all I could understand it, but this behavior is not easy to interpret. So far I have been unable to find a singe person who is having these symptoms. Not one. As I said, frustrating. ANYONE who has ANY IDEA whats going on here. I would be forever grateful.

Thanks!

Last edited by Blairware; 10-22-2014 at 12:50 AM.
Old 10-21-2014, 07:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Anyone help on this?

Must be so frustrating

Old 10-21-2014, 08:38 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default blue tooth problem

I'm only guessing on this. But, you may need to pull the console and check the position of the blue tooth module.

On my 2007 I found it to have fallen out of the velcro holder and laying down in the bottom of the console. This may cause a poor signal to your phone.

While the console is off, check all the connectors for a loose wire. It's a pain I know. I finally got my blue tooth working after pulling the radio and the console and finding someone wired in a $10 FM transmitter and unplugged my digital line to the radio.

Good luck.

Don

Old 10-22-2014, 12:48 AM

That helps, possibly. I will check every thing out in the trunk/boot and see how the module looks. Your other comment has me wondering... my car has one of those dealer installed Sirius XM radios that so far even Sirius has been unable to help with - it displays the logo and no buttons effect it in any way. I cant even reset it to date and I am planning to rip it out and get a used ashtray door that hopefully matches my shift surround as close as I can get. Any chance the dealer used that same line to install this thing?

Now I am really curious. I have been trying to hunt down the install directions dealers used for these in 2005-to whenever with no luck. Mainly because I want to tear it out correctly, lol! Its one wherea piece of almost-matching piano black sits where the ashtray was, looking almost like it belongs, but not quite. I thought it was a one off install, until I saw the same thing on 3 different cars when I was shopping.

What do you think? Could the installer hijacked my phone input for this? I will have to dig a littledeeper it appears.

Originally Posted by millenia man
I'm only guessing on this. But, you may need to pull the console and check the position of the blue tooth module.

On my 2007 I found it to have fallen out of the velcro holder and laying down in the bottom of the console. This may cause a poor signal to your phone.

While the console is off, check all the connectors for a loose wire. It's a pain I know. I finally got my blue tooth working after pulling the radio and the console and finding someone wired in a $10 FM transmitter and unplugged my digital line to the radio.

Good luck.

Don

Last edited by Blairware; 10-22-2014 at 12:52 AM.
Old 10-26-2014, 05:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Blairware
One of the things I happily accepted when coming back into the Jaguar fold was that I would not have cutting edge technology as far as music and phones are concerned. That doesn't mean I don't want to make the absolute most of what I have. As it turned out my 2006 XJ8L isn't completely in the dark ages. I have Navigation that I updated to the latest maps and OS (2011-2012) It works quite well actually.

Something that at first pleased me has turned into a source of frustration. I discovered that I DO have a Bluetooth option, but I have been unsuccessful in making it work as designed. After numerous web searches and Forum searches I suddenly remembered another method of getting to the problem; the old pathetic cry for help!

Here's what I am dealing with. I have q bunch of phones but so far they all behave exactly the same - Mainly I am using an HTC One M8 and a Samsung Galaxy Note 3 -two very popular devices and Flagship models for their respective makers (The Note 4 is about to hit AT&T in the next week)

Get the Bluetooth in the car in discover mode: (##3#*# then select the green phone icon. The screen now says "Discover me" Then select "Jaguar" from the phone and use "1313" the phone shows itself as paired. The car shows the screen that says: "Phone in use, please replace to end call or mute and replace to continue call" or similar, and that screen comes off and on every 30 seconds or so. It also says "No BT Phone" or occasionally "Registered"

If you watch Bluetooth on the phone you can see it disconnecting and then connecting every 20 or 30 seconds. This is difficult to diagnose since its intermittent. If it would not connect at all I could understand it, but this behavior is not easy to interpret. So far I have been unable to find a singe person who is having these symptoms. Not one. As I said, frustrating. ANYONE who has ANY IDEA whats going on here. I would be forever grateful.

Thanks!
I just got my iPhone paired up. According to my manual, the discover me code is ##1#*#. I then turned the bluetooth mode on and my iPhone paired up. Note: I have a touch screen display. I followed the instructions on page 11 of my In-Car Telephone manual to set it up. In doing a little research it appears that there is a problem with the documentation Jaguar provided. The in-car handbook (part # below) lists the pairing as ##3#*#, but the pairing that I used successfully was ##1#*#. This was the number provided in my supplied manual. In order for the sequence to work it appears, is to first turn off bluetooth on my iPhone, set up the car bluetooth to be in the discover me mode and then turn on the iPhone bluetooth to find the Jaguar. It then lists Jaguar as a device.
Publication Part No.
JJM 10 31 99 552

Last edited by carelm; 10-27-2014 at 09:25 AM.
Old 10-27-2014, 09:43 AM
Default I am game for anything that works!

Originally Posted by carelm
I just got my iPhone paired up. According to my manual, the discover me code is ##1#*#. I then turned the bluetooth mode on and my iPhone paired up. Note: I have a touch screen display. I followed the instructions on page 11 of my In-Car Telephone manual to set it up. In doing a little research it appears that there is a problem with the documentation Jaguar provided. The in-car handbook (part # below) lists the pairing as ##3#*#, but the pairing that I used successfully was ##1#*#. This was the number provided in my supplied manual. In order for the sequence to work it appears, is to first turn off bluetooth on my iPhone, set up the car bluetooth to be in the discover me mode and then turn on the iPhone bluetooth to find the Jaguar. It then lists Jaguar as a device.
Publication Part No.
JJM 10 31 99 552
Huh.... I have not see ##1#*# anywhere until your post. I know about the ##2#*# that helps force the phonebook or contact list to transfer. It is extremely odd that they advise turning ignition off to also help push the phine book file. The Bluetooth stays on for some time after turning off the ignition, but why does turning off the ignition help the transfer? No one has explained that in my research. And I am about to go try it, as in right now! I will post my results either way. Thanks for passing this along, whatever the outcome, the sharing of info is what this forum is about. You didn't mention if you have any success with the "3" code, but is sounds as if you got no pairing at all with that, and got a successful pairing attempt with the "1" code. My issue is that I DO successfully pair with a device named "Jaguar" but the connection is intermittent. I hope this helps, but I am not too confident. Here goes nothing!

EDIT: and... nothing it is! Oh well, I wasn't expecting that to necessarily work, because phones do pair. But they all proceed to disconnect/connect/disconnect in a loop at about 8-10 second intervals.

Because it is a wireless connection, I suspected perhaps the antenna, and one poster suggested it also, but my phone does the connect/disconnect from a really long distance, in fact it does it while I am in my house, through at least 4 walls and over 50 feet of distance. It could still be the antenna, but it's less likely based on the long distances it works with, and it seems the same pattern of connect disconnect. aaarrrrggghhhhh!!!!!!

Last edited by Blairware; 10-27-2014 at 10:24 AM.
Old 10-27-2014, 10:13 AM
Veteran Member

Huh.... I have not see ##1#*# anywhere until your post. I know about the ##2#*# that helps force the phonebook or contact list to transfer. It is extremely odd that they advise turning ignition off to also help push the phine book file. The Bluetooth stays on for some time after turning off the ignition, but why does turning off the ignition help the transfer? No one has explained that in my research. And I am about to go try it, as in right now! I will post my results either way. Thanks for passing this along, whatever the outcome, the sharing of info is what this forum is about. You didn't mention if you have any success with the "3" code, but is sounds as if you got no pairing at all with that, and got a successful pairing attempt with the "1" code. My issue is that I DO successfully pair with a device named "Jaguar" but the connection is intermittent. I hope this helps, but I am not too confident. Here goes nothing!
Hi John,

I never tried the "3" code since it wasn't listed in my version of the manual. I may see if I can scan the pertinent pages and try to post them for reference. I haven't tried to push the phone book yet so that will be my next project. I've seen on other posts that iPhone books aren't supported so that may not work.

John, do you disable your wi-fi on your cellphone? I normally do that to my iPhone when not at a hot-spot. If both wi-fi and bluetooth are enabled, there may be some interference between the two. Just a thought. I saw this interesting little tidbit:

How to Fix Bluetooth & WiFi Interference | Chron.com

Step 1
Disable Wi-Fi on your phone if you are not in a situation that you
need Wi-Fi connectivity. Phones are small devices and have limited room for antennas, which can make using Bluetooth and Wi-Fi simultaneously difficult. If your Bluetooth audio is suffering, disable Wi-Fi during your phone call.

Step 2
Move your phone out of any bag, purse or pocket. If your phone is
too far away from your Bluetooth headset, the connection may be weak and vulnerable to interference. It is best to be within about three feet of your phone during a phone call using Bluetooth.
Just by accident I may be doing both of the steps. I normally disable the wi-fi and put my iPhone in the change box to the left of the steering wheel.

Mike

Last edited by carelm; 10-27-2014 at 12:35 PM.
Old 10-27-2014, 04:27 PM
Veteran Member
Default Bluetooth Getting Started Pages

Hope these uploaded OK. Touch screen and regular screen. My handbook had a part # JJM 10 31 99 551 which appears to be an earlier version.

Attached Thumbnails Bluetooth that Almost works (but not quite)-bluetooth-getting-started-p11-001.jpg   Bluetooth that Almost works (but not quite)-bluetooth-getting-started-p12-001.jpg  

Last edited by carelm; 10-27-2014 at 04:31 PM.
Old 10-28-2014, 11:18 AM

Hope these uploaded OK. Touch screen and regular screen. My handbook had a part # JJM 10 31 99 551 which appears to be an earlier version.
Thank you so much for going the extra mile and uploading the instructions - It is unusual that your guide shows what I am now calling the "1" code. What MY is this guide from? I did turn off wifi even though I have never needed to in the past but no luck. The issue is definitely on the car side as I am a phone nut and generally get a new phone every 9 months to a year, I work for Verizon but buy through AT&T because I have a discount through a previous job that they keep extending. I have 4 phones right now that all act precisely the same in the XJ, and all work perfectly in my other cars, so this is why I am putting fault on the XJ.

What happens is: as soon as the pairing completes - at the point where it should show "Phone Connected" it brings up a big text screen that says something like

"HANDSET IN USE Mute and replace handset to continue handsfree call or replace handset to end call."

What I have learned is that Bluetooth is a bit of a hack in these cars - it emulates the Motorola V60 phone that was also an option. Something is up with the connection from my bluetooth module in center console to the PSE (Phone Module" in the trunk. Boy do I wish someone had gone through what I am - I am sure someone must have AND that they wrote about the fix in Jaguar Forums... That's a lot of wishful thinking I know...

DOES ANYONE OUT THERE have the dealer installed Sirius Radio where the ash tray is? I saw in in 3 vehicles when shopping for an XJ* yet I am finding it to be a rare option - I need to find the dealer instructions to install it, and when I find them I am promptly ripping it all out and putting an ash tray back! The radio sits at a logo and will not display its code, and I cannot make it do anything through any combination of buttons. Even Sirius could not help - they said bring it back to the dealer. What dealer? I cannot get that off the Car fax I have and Jaguar would not disrespect someones privacy and give me sale history I am fairly sure... so Getting the install guide is my best bet.

Unless someone here has info.. Hate to do it but I need to start a thread on that thing...

Old 10-28-2014, 11:39 AM
Veteran Member

Thank you so much for going the extra mile and uploading the instructions - It is unusual that your guide shows what I am now calling the "1" code. What MY is this guide from? I did turn off wifi even though I have never needed to in the past but no luck. The issue is definitely on the car side as I am a phone nut and generally get a new phone every 9 months to a year, I work for Verizon but buy through AT&T because I have a discount through a previous job that they keep extending. I have 4 phones right now that all act precisely the same in the XJ, and all work perfectly in my other cars, so this is why I am putting fault on the XJ.

What happens is: as soon as the pairing completes - at the point where it should show "Phone Connected" it brings up a big text screen that says something like

"HANDSET IN USE Mute and replace handset to continue handsfree call or replace handset to end call."

What I have learned is that Bluetooth is a bit of a hack in these cars - it emulates the Motorola V60 phone that was also an option. Something is up with the connection from my bluetooth module in center console to the PSE (Phone Module" in the trunk. Boy do I wish someone had gone through what I am - I am sure someone must have AND that they wrote about the fix in Jaguar Forums... That's a lot of wishful thinking I know...

DOES ANYONE OUT THERE have the dealer installed Sirius Radio where the ash tray is? I saw in in 3 vehicles when shopping for an XJ* yet I am finding it to be a rare option - I need to find the dealer instructions to install it, and when I find them I am promptly ripping it all out and putting an ash tray back! The radio sits at a logo and will not display its code, and I cannot make it do anything through any combination of buttons. Even Sirius could not help - they said bring it back to the dealer. What dealer? I cannot get that off the Car fax I have and Jaguar would not disrespect someones privacy and give me sale history I am fairly sure... so Getting the install guide is my best bet.

Unless someone here has info.. Hate to do it but I need to start a thread on that thing...
My in-car handbook was dated in 2004 and yours was 2005 apparently. Odd that Jaguar would have two sets of instructions for the same MY car (2006). I agree that it's a car issue although I'm at loss on a solution. Have you tried a Google search to see if your problem was noted on other forums?

Old 10-28-2014, 12:25 PM

My in-car handbook was dated in 2004 and yours was 2005 apparently. Odd that Jaguar would have two sets of instructions for the same MY car (2006). I agree that it's a car issue although I'm at loss on a solution. Have you tried a Google search to see if your problem was noted on other forums?
Yes, though most results lead right here to this forum. The hunt goes on. As I said im my initial post, we are somewhat limited in what we can do on these cars because aftermarket stuff is not an option and adding in OEM modules can be difficult and expensive. Then you get a situation like mine where I have the module, but its not working as designed, and it is super frustrating because I had a great, modern Bluetooth system in my previous car (that I installed). I think this system will work decently from descriptions I have seen, IF I can actually get the thing working.

The clue or symptom that I suspect is most significant is the text based screen I see after pairing and again every time the system disconnects. I saw it referenced somewhere, but can't seem to find the reference since. I am not giving up yet! But I think this is not going to come easy!

Thanks again for all your replies and sharing what you know on this. The more I know the sooner I will be talking blissfully hands free!

Old 10-28-2014, 09:19 PM
Veteran Member

I'm wondering if Sirius isn't causing the problems you noted earlier. The differences I'm seeing vs what you are experiencing is that I'm running a strictly stock version and I have had no problems getting the pairing and address book functioning while you are running Sirius as near as I recall. I think you are on the right track to get Sirius out of your car so you can get a better baseline.

Good luck,

Mike

Old 10-29-2014, 11:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 243 Likes on 169 Posts

Blairware, have a look at this document:

http://www.jaguar.com/content/market...e_Handbook.pdf

(the webpage is slow to load FYI)

According to this publication, try turning the car off for 6 minutes (how long it takes for the Bluetooth module to power down). Then turn back on, and try again.

I would also suggest completely disconnecting your phone from the car first, turning the car off for 6 minutes, deleting "Jaguar" from your phone, then turn the car back on and start from scratch.

Also an oddity.. according to the handbook, if your phone is locked with a PIN while connected, that may cause issues.

I don't know if this will get you anywhere.. but best of luck!

Side note, I don't believe that the Sirius module should be causing interference with the Bluetooth, since they're both factory-installed options. But.. Jaguar A/V.. anything's possible...

Last edited by 01Silverstone; 10-29-2014 at 11:25 PM.
Old 11-03-2014, 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by 01Silverstone
Blairware, have a look at this document:

http://www.jaguar.com/content/market...e_Handbook.pdf

(the webpage is slow to load FYI)

According to this publication, try turning the car off for 6 minutes (how long it takes for the Bluetooth module to power down). Then turn back on, and try again.

I would also suggest completely disconnecting your phone from the car first, turning the car off for 6 minutes, deleting "Jaguar" from your phone, then turn the car back on and start from scratch.

Also an oddity.. according to the handbook, if your phone is locked with a PIN while connected, that may cause issues.

I don't know if this will get you anywhere.. but best of luck!

Side note, I don't believe that the Sirius module should be causing interference with the Bluetooth, since they're both factory-installed options. But.. Jaguar A/V.. anything's possible...
I actually knew about the"Turn off the car for 6 minutes" weirdness. In most cases it explains that Bluetooth remains on for that length of time, and that this allows "time for the phonebook to download" Okay, sure, but what is gained by shutting everything ELSE down, is what I wonder. The Bluetooth system is ALSO on with ignition, so they never explain the reasoning for this.

Your comment that Sirius and Bluetooth are both factory options is slightly off in that the Sirius install is a "Dealer installed option" Based on the aftermarket nature of the Sirius module (It utilizes an fm transmitter for petes sake) and that dealers were installing it (and tossing perfect burled walnut ashtrays) I would say all bets are off regarding the two systems fuctioning as designed. I am also making so educated guesswork here, but I want the Sirius out mostly because it doesn't work anyway so whats the point? Found an ashtray on eBay tonight, and will possibly buy that one tomorrow.

Thanks all for the help so far

Old 11-04-2014, 01:51 AM
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts

Blair:

From the manual.

"3. To use or access your phonebook
immediately after Pairing:
Switch OFF the ignition for 6 minutes,
to allow the vehicle Bluetooth system
to complete the download process.
4. Switch ON the ignition.
The download should now have
completed successfully.
Note: Should you not wish to switch off
the ignition for 6 minutes at this time, the
phone book will be displayed after the
next normal ignition off cycle that elapses
for that duration.

Reason for Ignition OFF for 6 Minutes
The Bluetooth phone module in the
vehicle remains active for 6 minutes after
the ignition has been switched off.
It is important to wait this 6 minutes so
that a clean boot-up of the Bluetooth
module is achieved and the correct
information is stored
."

My interpretation of this confusing language is that the system needs to go through a complete power-down so that it re-boots and loads the phonebook from storage.

Old 11-04-2014, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by bakntyme
Blair:

From the manual.

"3. To use or access your phonebook
immediately after Pairing:
Switch OFF the ignition for 6 minutes,
to allow the vehicle Bluetooth system
to complete the download process.
4. Switch ON the ignition.
The download should now have
completed successfully.
Note: Should you not wish to switch off
the ignition for 6 minutes at this time, the
phone book will be displayed after the
next normal ignition off cycle that elapses
for that duration.

Reason for Ignition OFF for 6 Minutes
The Bluetooth phone module in the
vehicle remains active for 6 minutes after
the ignition has been switched off.
It is important to wait this 6 minutes so
that a clean boot-up of the Bluetooth
module is achieved and the correct
information is stored
."

My interpretation of this confusing language is that the system needs to go through a complete power-down so that it re-boots and loads the phonebook from storage.
There's actually 2 places in the instructions that they ask you to do the "6 minute shutdown"
1. When you see the "Handset in Use" text screen. This is for when you turm the Ignition on briefly, turn it off and back on again (a poor boot up)
2. When the phone book will not ddownload.

My phone book never even attempts to download becuse my phone never shows as connected by Jaguars system. On the phone, it just connects briefly and disconnects over and over. Regardless I have done the 6 minute shuffle unsuccessfully about 3 dozen times both for connection and after trying ##2#*# to force a phone book download. Nether has made the slightest difference. Sigh!

Old 11-06-2014, 03:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

has this bluetooth setup ever worked to you knowledge? It looks like the bluetooth module was installed, but on the old, pre 2006 cable configuration.... than you can sometimes pair/see the bluetooth devoce, but nothing else.

Old 11-14-2014, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by Rob Rooken
has this bluetooth setup ever worked to you knowledge? It looks like the bluetooth module was installed, but on the old, pre 2006 cable configuration.... than you can sometimes pair/see the bluetooth devoce, but nothing else.
That's a good point. It certainly has never worked for me. The pairing process completes, but a useable connection never gets established. Therein lies a big clue. I have come to realize that my conclusion that antennas and the ability for everything to communicate was incorrect. I currently believe that while the phone can see, and therefore pair with the system, the system never completes the pairing on its side. Or completes it, but is unable to communicate beyond that point.

Simply put: the phone sees the system, but the system does not see the phone. I suspect that I do not have a proper antenna connection or something is up with the Bluetooth module in the center console.

Old 11-16-2014, 09:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a similar problem with the mute and hangup type message appearing. That keeps me from pairing my phone. We got the phone menu to pop up but are not sure how. The jag does lose the pairing but now that we got it to pair once we can go to settings in the phone and hit jaguar to repair. Pain though because it loses the connection after every call. We have a 2005 S-Type. I will add more after I experiment this week. We just got the car last weekend.

Old 11-23-2014, 01:07 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

I didn't bring up my PDF of the BT handbook, but isn't there a code to delete all previously paired phones? You are only trying to pair one phone and check its operation before trying another phone, right?

If there isn't a way to clear it, I'd try performing a hard reset by pulling the negative cable on the battery and touching the positive terminal for a few seconds. This will discharge all stored energy in the car's computers and will start from scratch. You'll lose save radio stations, the RBDS will likely be on, and memory on the seats will be lost as well. But, a reset like that has cured many weird symptoms on my cars in the past.

You might want to check and compare the last two letters of the part numbers for your phone module (PSE) in the boot, and your BT module tucked inside the armrest. If the BT module is older than the PSE, that may be your problem.

I am using my Samsung S5, and a PSE/BT combo unit from an X358...so a little newer equipment.

Last edited by H20boy; 11-23-2014 at 01:11 PM.

Quick Reply: Bluetooth that Almost works (but not quite)