XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Can anyone recommend IDS/SDD software for X350?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2016, 08:20 PM
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Can anyone recommend IDS/SDD software for X350?

Hoping that there are a few people that can chime in here -

A couple weeks ago, I picked up an '07 XJ8L with around 90k on the clock. ECU was soaked with water as was the front interior fuse box. I have a brand new ECU for the install as well as a second hand fuse box from a low (44k) mile donor.

Two days ago, I began strategically placing cotton bags full of silica desiccant throughout the firewall where the water damage occurred. The car is very dry inside so I am not very concerned about that, but it's a job that's worth doing right, hence the silica.

My plan was to clean all of the connectors to the ECU and fuse box with a contact cleaner, hook everything up and connect the battery. But my understanding is that the car will not start regardless as the ECU has not been programmed. As such, I spoke to a couple dealers - the first quoted $148 and the other was $1,246. At $148, I'd be fine for with that if it needs to be done to start and drive the car. At almost $1,300, I'd just as soon order the software and cables and attempt the job myself. I haven't yet quoted the job from my local independent shop but I would expect a few hundred.

So here's the question - if anyone has programmed an ECU using the IDS/SDD software, how difficult is it? How easy is it to brick the ECU if I screw up something in the process? I'm pretty good when it comes to mechanical stuff, know a fair amount about computers, but I'd be rather nervous taking this on. If it's something that would be hard to screw up, is there a specific place to buy the software that's reliable?

Thanks guys!

Old 11-04-2016, 08:49 PM
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,421 Posts

There is a forum member in the Chicago area who has the equipment you need to do this.

Send me a PM with your email address and I can put you in touch with him.

Old 11-07-2016, 07:49 AM

Thanks for reaching out Cambo, PM sent.

Update to the car - got the new fuse box installed, sprayed down all the ECU wire harness contacts with a contact cleaner, plugged everything in and hooked up a relatively low voltage battery (11.83V after 18 hours charge time). All went well - all systems powered up and of course got all of the error lights that I would have expected. Of course, would not start - my guess is the engine immobilizer but perhaps someone else can chime in on this? Just need that ECU flash and hopefully the kitty will be up and running again.

After draining the battery relatively quickly, I now know why it needs to be hooked up to an external power source during the ECU programming!

Old 11-07-2016, 03:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

11.8 is essentially dead.

Old 11-07-2016, 04:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,168 Likes on 2,336 Posts

[QUOTE=03_jagXJR;1565034

After draining the battery relatively quickly, I now know why it needs to be hooked up to an external power source during the ECU programming![/QUOTE]

Yes you do and heed JagV8's comment. You also need a new battery. 11.8 volts after 18 hours is not good and not sufficient for what you want to do.

Old 11-07-2016, 04:29 PM

Just got off the phone with the dealer, battery is in stock so I'll be picking one up tonight.

I know the previous owner had some issue where the radiator fans stayed on after the car was shut off, which I believe was an issue caused by a faulty thermostat? When he was having issues with the ECU, the fans stayed on and killed the battery. But it was an old battery anyways, from the looks of it very likely the original battery from when it was built.

Last edited by 03_jagXJR; 11-07-2016 at 05:10 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Sean W (11-07-2016)
Old 11-07-2016, 06:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,168 Likes on 2,336 Posts

keep us apprised of your progress. Bringing her back to life should be an interesting read.