XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Can You (Easily) Replace Touch Screen Climate Control....

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2018, 05:07 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Can You (Easily) Replace Touch Screen Climate Control....

with the dial and button air-con unit?

Trying to get my X350 into the 2010s by putting my old mechless Alpine unit and amplifier in from my old X308 (where it replaced the Alpine Premium system).

Ripping out the touch screen and CD player would leave me without a/c control, so I wondered if the non-touch screen a/c control panel could be retrofitted leaving room for my double DIN nav unit below?

I'd put my amp in the boot and run signal cables from the HU to it, taking power from the battery and connecting to the speaker cables that run into the Jaag amp.

I just need to know if;
i. the a/c unit will work and,
ii. the car won't think the original units have been stolen and throw a wobbly.

Old 09-04-2018, 01:15 PM

Anyone?

Just brought the X308 XJR back from it's annual MOT (passed with NO WELDING!!), and I'm ready to remove my amp and Alpine unit and put the old Jaag premium one back in ready for sale.

There's a local beakers who should have a variety of non-touchscreen climate units for sale (5 button one for mine), but I'm no closer to knowing should I swap them over it will work.

It seems to work the other way*, with some added complexity for the link to the Nav DVD player, but as I'll be removing all the Jaguar ICE/Nav units I only need to know if the climate control unit will operate.

Any takers?

*any searches I've done seem to throw this climate-to-touchscreen upgrade conversion up not the 'retrograde' step I wish to take.

Old 09-06-2018, 07:29 PM
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

I'd gladly give up my touch screen for the physical controls if it gave me space to put a decent headunit.
I never use the Nav or the 6 disk changer, so that's easy. I realistically never use the DVD player with the super tiny headrest monitors either, but I have a feeling those aren't plumbed in with fiber optics and could be run off an aftermarket DVD player as monitors. My problem might be that I'd lose control over the rear HVAC, as I'm pretty sure any cars with a rear HVAC also had touch screens...

Still it would be worth it!

Old 09-07-2018, 03:48 AM
Received 266 Likes on 206 Posts

I bought a Jaguar or a particular model because I liked it. Arrff arrff

"I'd gladly give up my Jaguar for a better Boom-boom on wheels". Arrff arrff.

Just....arrff arrff. Buy a car that suits you in the first place. :-)

YOU CANNOT BE SERIOUS
Signed Albert (Hall)

I prefer to drive on the speed bumps which sound a bit like Ringo Starr on 19" rims FFS. Rough Chip is more like Supertramp.

Last edited by ChrisMills; 09-07-2018 at 03:57 AM.
Old 09-07-2018, 04:46 AM
Received 212 Likes on 138 Posts

Milowokie

Why don't you get hold of a unit, pull out the center console and have a go at it? See how the connectors are arranged at the back of the existing unit...
If you can upgrade a think there's a good chance that you can downgrade
I think its a great idea if it allows a more modern head unit ti be fitted

Old 09-07-2018, 04:59 AM

Here's an example of somebody who installed a double din unit in a non nav/screen x350;
2005 Jaguar XJ8 Radio Installation - Aftermarket Garage

Old 09-07-2018, 05:27 AM

Well, the button-ridden air con unit has been ordered, and I'll see how it goes.

As for buying the Jaag you want, the XJR is close to the top spec car and for the early 2000s is well-equipped.

However, the navigation and cell phone integration is sadly lacking. There is no 'phone option in mine, there's no Bluetooth, there's no MP3/FLAC/iPod functionality, the latest map data is 6 years old and can no longer be updated. What's fine for 2004, doesn't quite cut it in 2018.

Old 09-07-2018, 05:34 AM

One thing that occurs to me

If you're pulling out a premium audio system all the speaker wiring comes from the amp on the left hand side of the boot(trunk)
So if you're connecting the existing speakers to a new head unit you'll have to run speaker wires from the new unit to the left hand side of the boot(trunk) to pick up the existing speaker wiring. Not too big a job.

Old 09-07-2018, 06:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 442 Likes on 281 Posts

There is a difference between the nav climate and standard climate control panels. With the Nav system, the touch screen talks to the SCP network directly, which sends commands to the climate control module through network communication . On the standard system, the control panel has a 11 wires in the AC101 connector that interfaces directly to the climate control module and does not use the data network.

My guess is that the climate module has connectors for both standard and nav control units, but you will need to source the wire harness that includes pins for the standard control. See Fig 06.1 in the XJ electrical guide. The climate control module lives behind the dash, between the IP cluster and firewall (on either RHD or LHD vehicles).

-Michael

Last edited by mhamilton; 09-07-2018 at 06:32 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Don B (09-15-2018)
Old 09-07-2018, 07:56 AM

Cheers for that. I have the XJ electrical guide, but have yet to see what wiring (if any) is connected to the a/c control module in my vehicle.

I have the unit that is to be swapped over in my X308, which had the premium Alpine system installed, and that too involved routing signal cable for front, rear and sub to the boot.

I have a 5CH amp too, and the that was installed on the factory brackets in the boot as the speaker cables for the premium system run from there anyway, not behind the radio unit like the standard system.

Hopefully the "radio" install will be the same, just the air con system that seems troublesome.

Old 09-07-2018, 01:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 442 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by Milowokie
Cheers for that. I have the XJ electrical guide, but have yet to see what wiring (if any) is connected to the a/c control module in my vehicle.
See Figure 06.1 and 06.2 for the climate control wiring. If you have the Nav system, there will not be any control panel wiring between the CC unit and the Nav screen. The CC unit will only be connected to the CAN network and to the various sensors/servos in the HVAC system.

Old 09-07-2018, 03:02 PM

Keep us up to date. I wonder where the best place would be to pull that wiring harness to go between the physical controls and the CC. I'll let you know if I find a sourse, please do the same.

Old 09-07-2018, 03:09 PM

That's what I would have thought, yet the wiring diagrams show that a/c connector 100 and a/c connector 101 are connected to other parts of the system, not just the a/c control panel. Maybe the pins are not populated for touchscreen cars.

Old 09-08-2018, 01:28 AM
Received 266 Likes on 206 Posts

Don't forget an anechoic headlining. And for the windscreen...

Old 09-08-2018, 03:36 AM
Received 134 Likes on 82 Posts

Personally, I don’t like the look of double din in the XJ- it just looks wrong!

I have a JagDroid system running along side the OEM Navigiation, looks totally factory and retains climate control.

Old 09-08-2018, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by ChrisMills
Not sure what that will achieve unless such headling sticks to the roof better than what I've got already.

Originally Posted by alecescolme
Personally, I don’t like the look of double din in the XJ- it just looks wrong!

I have a JagDroid system running along side the OEM Navigiation, looks totally factory and retains climate control.
That is an option too, how much did your system cost and how easy is it to install/implement on the factory system?

Last edited by Milowokie; 09-08-2018 at 09:05 AM.
Old 09-08-2018, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by ChrisMills

I'm not sure what your hang up is, or why you feel the need to **** on other people when they want to update 20 year old electronics in an otherwise nice car. Do you **** on everyone who wants better engine performance, handling, MPG, or an updated look, too? If this isn't interesting to you, then you don't have to pay any attention to it. Your responses in this thread have not been helpful, polite, or even interesting.

We get it, you think a car should remain in factory condition, and updating anything is silly, as you would simply buy a different car to meet your need. Cool, that's awesome for you. That's not what this thread is about. It's about exploring options to find ways to modernize the laughably dated infotainment system in the XJ.

The following 3 users liked this post by oilstain:
alecescolme (09-09-2018), ChristianMichael (08-19-2023), Milowokie (09-08-2018)
Old 09-09-2018, 04:31 AM

Quite easy to install, probably easier than double din I would imagine! It is designed to work with the X350 from the ground up. Hardest part was hiding the ODRIOD unit behind the glovebox, ontop of the ECU.

Cost, I believe the price has gone up recently, it is not cheap by anymeans around £700 (I think), but the best option there is out there for our cars imo. If you are really good with electronics you could build it yourself...

A little demo, some features have been added since then:

The following users liked this post:
oilstain (09-09-2018)
Old 09-09-2018, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by alecescolme
Quite easy to install, probably easier than double din I would imagine! It is designed to work with the X350 from the ground up. Hardest part was hiding the ODRIOD unit behind the glovebox, ontop of the ECU.

Cost, I believe the price has gone up recently, it is not cheap by anymeans around £700 (I think), but the best option there is out there for our cars imo. If you are really good with electronics you could build it yourself...

A little demo, some features have been added since then:

Are there any good resources for finding more about this? What exactly is involved? One of the big draws of an aftermarket head unit is the decent voltage on the RCA outs for the amps. Line conversions always leave something to be desired, even with expensive DSP units (like the 360.3 like I'm using). So I'd love to know what all is going on here.

Also, that giant gap on the left side looks awful!

Old 09-10-2018, 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by oilstain
Are there any good resources for finding more about this? What exactly is involved? One of the big draws of an aftermarket head unit is the decent voltage on the RCA outs for the amps. Line conversions always leave something to be desired, even with expensive DSP units (like the 360.3 like I'm using). So I'd love to know what all is going on here.

Also, that giant gap on the left side looks awful!
Just google it and all is revealed on Ben’s website. Basically, he has hacked into the inputs inside the CD player.

What awful gap? The only thing that has changed from factory visually is the new display. The new touch screen overlays have a black border now. The head unit fits exactly as before.

Quick Reply: Can You (Easily) Replace Touch Screen Climate Control....