XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

cats total shut down

Old 12-18-2018, 05:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post cats total shut down

For quit a while i get more frequently failure messages like dsc failure, abs failure, engine light on, air suspension failure etc. But now from time to time i start the engine and after 10 seconds all failure lights go on and the gearbox lock up, and all odometer or rpm readings stop, but engine keeps running.When try to restart the engine, nothing happens.Luckily after a couple of hours the car starts all works except the engine failure signal goes on, but after a couple of runs and restarts the engine failure light disappears, everything works no warning signal.After a couple a maile various different signals go on, as air suspension failure, dsc, failure, parking break failure reappear but the car drives perfectly normal.
After reading the thread i dont sign its a solenoid at the air suspension or any other particular connector problem. The battery is a year old, any suggestion, is there a kind of motherboard or chip which needs to be replaced. I would be thankful for any hints how to fix it. I have a shop mechanic specialized in Jaguar,(mostly classic modells, but who did a good job over the years( inspections, brake wear and tear issues. I stay away from jaguar dealers who charge outrageous hourly rates and just charging for reading error messages 100 euros, and usually refuse to give estimates and consider the car as to old even thou it is well maintained and very good shape.

Thanks Steven

Old 12-18-2018, 05:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,423 Likes on 1,936 Posts

You need to get the fault codes read for a start. This needs a reader which can be bought on the internet, but you must get one that can read Jaguar-specific codes. It sounds from what you say that your shop mechanic is not up-to-speed on this, only traditional Jaguar stuff. This is OK if he sticks to the older Jaguars but no good with modern stuff which has very complex electronics. For dsc, and abs faults, a common cause is one of the wheel speed sensors failing in the hub carrier. Cheap to buy and fix but you must know which one, hence the need to read the codes. Frankly, unless you get the codes read you will be in the dark. The first thing to do is to delete them all and start with a blank memory and then read the codes as they occur. I think you have more than a single cause for what is happening. Are your earthing points on the front of the car in good order ?There are three, two behind one headlight, and one behind the other. Failure of these can cause all sorts of weird happenings.

Old 12-18-2018, 08:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 737 Likes on 465 Posts

Codes may also be a reaction to the issue and not the issue itself

I would check
1. The three earths behind headlamps
2. Battery condition
3. J-gate

All 3 will produce some or all of the issues you are having

Have codes read, and cleared then read again after issue reoccurs

Cheers
34by151