XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Cleaning the leather

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 04:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,435 Likes on 1,941 Posts
Default Cleaning the leather

Yesterday and today, I have been cleaning the leather. Whilst I really like the Ivory leather, it is a very light colour and does show the dirt over time. The last time I did this was in 2011. At that time I bought two brands of cleaner, (1) Xymol, and (2) Mur. Back then I found the Xymol to be very good and easy to use so I used it all up and the Mer was left over until yesterday.

I have to say the Mer is not really all that good. It claims to be a cleaner and conditioner, but doesn't really shift the dirt very well. So I went out and bought Xymol again, and also the Autoglym Leather Cleaner as I wanted to compare the two. The Xymol is much more expensive than the Autoglym stuff. Both of these are just cleaners, and one is expected to apply the conditioner afterwards when the leather is dry.

Well, as I already knew, the Xymol works really well. The Autoglym cleaner is almost as good but takes longer to get the dirt layer off. I also used an old toothbrush to work the cleaner into the grain, because just using a cloth leaves the ingrained dirt still there. Wope with a wet cloth brings off the dirt, and then a wash with clean water finishes the job.

Anyway, here is a photo of one of the cleaned leather seat panels, (the one lower left of the four)

Attached Thumbnails Cleaning the leather-jaguar-seat-cleaning.jpg  
The following 5 users liked this post by Fraser Mitchell:
anindyam (07-16-2014), Clamdigger (07-19-2014), Don B (07-15-2014), H20boy (07-17-2014), Scottanglin (07-25-2015)
Old 07-15-2014, 06:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Thanks Fraser, nice write up.

I too have the lighter interior, looks great but a bear to keep clean. I used the Autoglym leather cleaner with a small nail brush and liberally applied, then worked in to the leather & dried with a microfiber.

This was followed by the Autoglym leather balm, generously applied, then buffed for pretty good results.

For the best 50/50 shot try some masking tape across half the seat then remove when done for very noticeable results.

The following users liked this post:
Scottanglin (07-25-2015)
Old 07-16-2014, 04:31 PM
Received 95 Likes on 85 Posts

I've been using one my wife's old rotating facial brushes. Works well.

Scottanglin (07-25-2015)
Old 07-17-2014, 03:21 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,145 Likes on 751 Posts

I've been looking for a new 'cleaner' for the ol' Dove interior in the XK8 and the Ivory interior of my XJ. I'm just about out of my Leatherique cleaner. Next - Xymol it is...thanks for the tip!

Scottanglin (07-25-2015)
Old 07-17-2014, 03:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 250 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell
Yesterday and today, I have been cleaning the leather. Whilst I really like the Ivory leather, it is a very light colour and does show the dirt over time. The last time I did this was in 2011. At that time I bought two brands of cleaner, (1) Xymol, and (2) Mur. Back then I found the Xymol to be very good and easy to use so I used it all up and the Mer was left over until yesterday.

I have to say the Mer is not really all that good. It claims to be a cleaner and conditioner, but doesn't really shift the dirt very well. So I went out and bought Xymol again, and also the Autoglym Leather Cleaner as I wanted to compare the two. The Xymol is much more expensive than the Autoglym stuff. Both of these are just cleaners, and one is expected to apply the conditioner afterwards when the leather is dry.

Well, as I already knew, the Xymol works really well. The Autoglym cleaner is almost as good but takes longer to get the dirt layer off. I also used an old toothbrush to work the cleaner into the grain, because just using a cloth leaves the ingrained dirt still there. Wope with a wet cloth brings off the dirt, and then a wash with clean water finishes the job.

Anyway, here is a photo of one of the cleaned leather seat panels, (the one lower left of the four)
I must say that I have been a fan of Zymol in the past but found their products too expensive for what they are supposed to achieve.
I have also used Glypton pructs for years and really find that for the money they are the best hands down.
Taking into account that all modern leathers are surface treated and quite a few now are perforated for both ventilation and air conditioned seats so, quite a different apprach is necessary in their preservation.
For my money, you can't go past Glypton...they have been in the game for decades and are the preferred suppliers to RR and other high class marques.

Scottanglin (07-25-2015)
Old 07-17-2014, 03:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 664 Likes on 572 Posts

Originally Posted by H20boy
I've been looking for a new 'cleaner' for the ol' Dove interior in the XK8 and the Ivory interior of my XJ. I'm just about out of my Leatherique cleaner. Next - Xymol it is...thanks for the tip!
Try the Gliptone Matt, it is the only thing I use and really does put the leather smell back into the car.

Scottanglin (07-25-2015)