XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Click....Click.....Click....Click....what the heck?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 01:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Click....Click.....Click....Click....what the heck?

After a 200 mile trip (from which I let my friend barrow my car), I had him park in the the garage. The next morning I tried to move the car, and nothing.

A few weeks later, I purchased a charger and trickle charged the battery most of the day. When I tried to crank it, it make a sequence of clicking sounds in which the lights on the dash conisided with this sound. Kind of an on off switching if you will.

1-What is this? Is this due to a dead battery that will not charge? I found this very strange.

Old 07-13-2011, 02:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

How old is your car, and how many miles? These batteries seem to fail after about 5-6 years or so.

Old 07-13-2011, 02:41 PM
Received 170 Likes on 140 Posts

sounds like a battery issue, on all of my previous cars I have had to replace the batteries when the cars were around 4 to 5 years old, once they start to play up then they are not worth the messing around, a trickle charger may help partially flat batteries but if it really is on its last legs then it wont hold the charge anyway, most battery dealers/sellers will actually test the battery for you, best of luck.

Old 07-13-2011, 03:07 PM
Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by A Dopo
After a 200 mile trip (from which I let my friend barrow my car), I had him park in the the garage. The next morning I tried to move the car, and nothing.

A few weeks later, I purchased a charger and trickle charged the battery most of the day. When I tried to crank it, it make a sequence of clicking sounds in which the lights on the dash conisided with this sound. Kind of an on off switching if you will.

1-What is this? Is this due to a dead battery that will not charge? I found this very strange.
I while back I had an intermittent "no start"
Battery is one year old. Did a jump start the first time and it started.
Second time started also, but not right away. Same thing a click and after trying a few times it started. Third time trickle charged for a couple days and tried starting daily - no go. That was strange. Now I suspected a bad connection. Checked the connection on the starter, it was cleaned and no issues since....

Clean the connection at the starter before you buy a new battery...

Tom

Old 07-13-2011, 07:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys, I was hoping that someone had the exact same thing.

To complete the post, I should have noted that I am holding the key to the start position, and it does this. Click (flashing instruments) pause, Click (flashing instruments) pause, and so forth. I does, like the ticking of a clock keeping time. Strange. Could this somehow be the battery? Remote door locks work, lights, etc, but don't appear to be a full power, but hard to tell.

Old 07-13-2011, 09:32 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

its takes the MOST battery power to start a car. Just replace the battery. Even a trickle charger on a weak dead battery will take DAYS to come back up

Old 07-14-2011, 04:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

Originally Posted by A Dopo
A few weeks later, I purchased a charger and trickle charged the battery most of the day.
That aggravated the situation since the worst thing you can do with a dead battery is to wait around before charging it.

The battery might have cooked while on a long drive, and waiting around to charge it finished it off.

If you really want, you can take the battery out and get it load tested somewhere. If they tell you its bad, then consider it settled and buy a new battery.

When you get home, fully charge it on the trickle charger before installation.

(the post clock is about to rollover at 999)