XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Climate Control Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2020, 05:50 AM
Received 212 Likes on 138 Posts
Default Climate Control Questions

I have slow heat up, a general lack of heat and cold upper vents when the climate control is set to hot/heat.

I measured a few temps yesterday evening as follows; (right hand drive vehicle)
Outside temperature was about 15 Deg C. Unit set to Auto.

Climate Control temp set to 30 Deg C (so hot for max heat), AC turned OFF;
Passenger side, Feet 62 Deg C, center vent 31 Deg C, window vent 33 Deg C
Driver side, Feet 52 Deg C, center vent 33 Deg C, window vent 35 Deg C

Climate Control temp set to 30 Deg C (so hot for max heat), AC turned ON;
Passenger side, Feet 62 Deg C, center vent 25 Deg C, window vent 27 Deg C
Driver side, Feet 53 Deg C, center vent 26 Deg C, window vent 20 Deg C

Climate Control temp set to 17 Deg C (so set for cooling), AC turned ON;
Passenger side, Feet 15 Deg C, center vent 7 Deg C, window vent 10 Deg C
Driver side, Feet 12 Deg C, center vent 7 Deg C, window vent 8 Deg C

So I don't seem to have a difference between the passenger and drivers side temps as many do which I understand is caused by a bunging up of one side of the heater matrix. But when I'm driving in the winter it takes a long time to warm up, and I can feel cool air coming from the upper vents.
So could anybody shed some light/comment on the following questions;

1. The engine temp gauge takes about 10 mins of driving to get to 'Normal'. Is this normal or should the engine warm up more quickly. I'm wondering if my thermostat could be stuck open, causing a long warm up time for the engine and may be a contributory factor in the slow heat up in the cabin.

2. The max temp I reached at the feet was 62 Deg C with an ambient of 14 Deg C. Shouldn't this be higher? Could the cause be a dead auxiliary heating pump and a stuck open engine thermostat?

3. I presume that when I'm on full heating the temp through the upper vents should be the same as I'm getting at the feet? Mine is 20-30 Deg C lower at the upper vents than at the feet. What's the cause of this and how can I solve it?

4. I have the workshop manual and the X350 technical guide but I can't find anything which shows the airflow through the climate control unit/position of flaps etc under different settings. Does anybody have any information in this?

Any comments very welcome
I'm considering replacing the engine thermostat and the auxiliary heating pump as a first hit.
Many thanks

Old 06-11-2020, 07:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 442 Likes on 281 Posts

I would say 10 minutes to warm up at a 14C (60F) ambient is on target. You can check with a scan tool to verify you are actually getting to 90C (190-200F) on the engine coolant temp.

The aux water pump is a common failure on these cars, and will lead to poor heating at low engine RPM. Several people have also found clogged heater cores which will seriously degrade heating performance. You could possibly try backflushing the core, but from my understanding this is marginally effective.

In cold winter temps 0-5C (30-40F) there should be no air blowing out of the dash vents. All the heat should come out the floor. In your current ambient of 14C it is probably in bi-level mode, where some air is out the floor, some out the dash. I can confirm in my car in this operation that the dash vents are colder than the floor vents. This is by design to prevent the occupants from feeling "stuffy". You can cycle the air distribution modes manually to eliminate one variable.

The following users liked this post:
paddyx350 (06-12-2020)
Old 06-12-2020, 03:20 AM
Received 212 Likes on 138 Posts

Thanks for the comments
Good Idea, I'll check what coolant temp I have with the scanner.
Is the coolant temp sensor located on the radiator or engine side of the thermostat?