XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

do I have air suspension

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2020, 11:03 AM
Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

Duh. Just look at the struts and see if they have steel coil springs.

The following users liked this post:
Partick the Cat (05-13-2020)
Old 05-12-2020, 12:06 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I know I have air suspension, as I checked the struts for springs encasing it. With no prior experience with air suspensions or knowing what could be happening, I began wondering if the air suspension was working. If it's present(which it appears to be), can a condition exist where it isn't working, but isn't displaying any error messages or...showing no physical signs of not working as designed?

I'm good with verifying that my VDP is air-suspension equipped. I wasn't good with the ride quality and that's why I started asking questions....moving on.

Thanks.

Old 05-12-2020, 01:37 PM
Received 266 Likes on 206 Posts

Hi Phil,
If the air suspension has no leaks, hmm it would be hard to tell if it is "working". The air reservoir is sufficient for an entire trip, depending I s'pose, so the compressor doesn't necessarily run even if you could hear it. I think every complaint about "not working" has been due to it going down, which is obvious. It can go down (in my case, finger test) without going down so much as to cause the error messages which some people report.

If you have a rattle, which might or might not be the air suspension (I don't think so, perhaps just "suspension"), this wouldn't indicate the suspension "does not work".

I'm not good with the ride quality either. But that's because I want to ride around like the Queen. This car has big rims and small sidewalls because Jaguar wants to appeal to all those young boy racers who infest this forum (how'm I doing? lol). Anyway, it's a "performance car" as much as a "luxury car", consistent with Jaguar's history, and not merely a "limo". So yes, the "ride quality" might not be what the Queen expected. (actually Her Majesty had one which she drove herself, and was a mechanic during the war, so probably a queen racer). I do not believe the air suspension has much to do with ride quality, just maintaining ride height. But someone will be along to correct me. Cheers

Old 05-12-2020, 03:40 PM
Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

you say applying the brakes stops it? Then maybe worn bushes on suspension. Braking would put a different direction of force on them. IME they need replacing after around 60,000 miles, it's quite normal. They are surprisingly big.

Are you using an experienced Jag mender?

Old 05-12-2020, 03:58 PM

People don't "mend" Jags. They have to smack them into shape with a hammer.
<sorry!>

Old 05-12-2020, 04:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,437 Likes on 1,942 Posts

Have all the suspension bushes been checked for wear ? There are rather a lot of them

I'm also a little puzzled why you latched onto a thread from 2014, instead of starting your own. The title of this thread is misleading in relation to your problem description.

Last edited by Fraser Mitchell; 05-12-2020 at 04:18 PM.
Old 05-12-2020, 09:07 PM

Fraser Mitchell / PigletJohn/et al. : Suspension bushes? When I took this car in for an oil change/fuel filter change (Thurs. April 2), I asked the A mechanic(most experienced, reportedly) if he would check for rattles. I was told he worked on this most part of the day and couldn't find a source problem. I mentioned, just from researching it myself, to

1) Check for loose calipers
2) Check for any coverings over the catalytic converter and exhaust system or any other part that would cause a rattle
3)Check the bushings/suspension

The report was, "Nothing found, it sounds like it's coming from inside the dash." In fact, there is no sound inside the dash. That tells me if this mechanic tried to locate the sound, he didn't tell me that 1)the engine cover(plastic) was not secured with the bolts, 2)the radiator cover (plastic) was loose because only 2 clips/(I call them plastic molly-fasteners)were barely holding it in place as they were stripped and he didn't talk to me personally(his customer service woman, who is car-knowledgeable, relayed the news that the A mechanic couldn't find the rattle.

So WTH? I know what bad bushings will sound like - squeak or metal to metal, but not a rattle. I'll have someone else look at this, ask them to check the same areas, and hope it's what it sounds like it: a panel missing one or more screws/clips in the undercarriage covers(whatever it might be, catalytic converter, general plastic cover for the undercarriage, or muffler area cover(?).

Today I, besides hand cleaning the visible/accessible plastic/metal parts, attached 6 new clips to the radiator cover....nice and secure. I think this was another rattle not related to the undercarriage that was transmitting noise to the dash area. We did hear this in the cabin-approximately the interior dash, but not exactly. It's gone. I'll take that as a victory. Oddly, maybe it was the day, but the rattle that persists, underneath, passenger side, was only lightly heard. Crazy.

Regarding my skills - I'm an average DIY'er. I can change oil/cabin/air filter, plugs, ignition coils, replace cabin parts, change tires if cornered(lol). In the past ...with my 67 Mustang, 68 Firebird(350), and other cars, I changed brakes, valve covers, brake and engine oils, etc. the easy stuff. I'm less interested in doing brakes or valve cover gaskets, or wrenching a lot. Luckily, I don't have these issues with the Jag. I'm from the motor city- most of us were under the hood before our teens, as someone always had a car they were working on.

ChrisMills - Thanks for that great reply. I have a 1990 300E MB, which I just added wheels and tires (16") and though the road is felt more, it's nothing like the Jag. I'm good with the ride of the Jag-it's the question that arose from having this Benz and our prior owned, smooth riding 2003 Toyota Avalon XLS. I don't miss the Avalon(277K and served us well). I've NEVER had or rode in a Jag- of ANY kind. So it's all new to me (and my wife, who this car really belongs to). She's thrilled with ride, especially in Sport mode, as we enjoy the firmer suspension. What I FORGOT to check and now comment on, since you mentioned narrow side-walls....these are Bridgestone RunFlats and until I researched it, these are inherently stiffer than say a Pirelli or Continental or other non-runflats. So I'm learning!

As for starting a fresh thread? I see, in this forum, numerous replies from members who will say, "Did you do a search in the forum, there are plenty of related threads?" I didn't want to be starting a thread completely new related to my question of whether I had an air suspension or not. I thought the rattle might be related to the suspension, as well. Like I say guys....this is really all new territory for me. I only know that this is one hell of a nice car and now, my wife wants to buy another one(2005-2009). Ha! We don't have a garage for second one! And we're not lighting our cigars with 100 dollar bills.

Thanks again your kind responses.

Phil

Last edited by PhilBR; 05-12-2020 at 09:59 PM.
Old 05-12-2020, 09:48 PM

Fraser Mitchell- Ok, I egressed from air suspension to rattles, but I thought they might be related- so, maybe a new thread should have started.

HM the Queen - I have a lot of respect for her and I did not know she was a mechanic in WWII. I've read that she favors her older manual shifting Range Rover, though. Cool.

Last edited by PhilBR; 05-12-2020 at 09:53 PM.
Old 05-12-2020, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by PhilBR
"Nothing found, it sounds like it's coming from inside the dash."
English Translation: "Something found, dunno what it is"
Now I'm no expert, but I don't think the air suspension is located in the dash.
Reminds me of the Mk10 with 3 carbs I once had. We tuned the 3 carbs by putting ear-to-pipe in each intake, to isolate the noise.

"and my wife, who this car really belongs to"
Ah yes, same with me. When the wipers stopped mid-screen she just burst out cackling "I thought you bought me a luxury car!"

I don't see a problem with resurrecting an old thread, although it does prove that Fraser is the fastest and most observant amongst us!

The Queen really did have an X350 (I think). Only reason I know was that it came up for sale a few years ago, and might have been mentioned somewhere on this website.

Old 05-12-2020, 10:17 PM
Default The humor of it all

I'm first to keep a smile on my face,so far...because it's only a rattle and not the error messages and accompanying calls of "need to spend to fix..got a problem here!"

The Queen is really quite amazing. Is this the X350? I wonder what year?

Old 05-12-2020, 10:31 PM

She looks grumpy because there's a rattle in the dash?
(that appears to be an X358 grill and surround, whatever you can bet it's fully optioned and more)
(What's that handle thing? Is Her Majesty going surfing?)

Honestly, use a pipe to your ear to isolate where the rattle comes from.
You can buy a climbing harness if needed to climb outside. OK, what we know is that you MAY have isolated it to the brakes?
Some road surfaces make a LOT of road noise. Just sayin' (not quite what I expected of this car)

P.S. and whilst you all admire the car, I'm looking at the headroom! She has a hat on with a universe to spare! The X350/X358 may be a large car, but it's not known for headroom! I must stop now as I don't want to be lynched for treason.

You'd have to own an E-Type to appreciate this, but that minor bulge in the bonnet, from the driver's seat it does evoke the bulge in the E-Type.

Last edited by ChrisMills; 05-12-2020 at 11:20 PM.
Old 05-13-2020, 03:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,437 Likes on 1,942 Posts

I think the Queen is in an late year X-type if I'm not mistaken.

Old 05-13-2020, 04:22 AM
Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

yes, that is her later X type, that she drove to the Guards Polo Club in Windsor Great Park, where she spectates and presents prizes, and also drives to church, also in the park. I believe she stopped driving after D of E had a crash.

She doesn't drive on public roads because she hasn't got a driving licence.

All her cars have registration number plates, except her official car on state occasions. The official car is whichever she happens to be in at the time.

HM has previously driven an X300 and an X350 (which were badged "Daimler". Due to the Jaguar Car Company owning the rights to the trade name in UK, and previously supplying Daimler limousines, starting in the days when there was a separate British Daimler company).

Last edited by PigletJohn; 05-13-2020 at 05:02 AM. Reason: faulty photo removed
Old 05-13-2020, 11:34 AM

Right. Surfing. The surf was up that day. I was surprised to find a story on that X-type she was driving, a few years ago: https://www.autoevolution.com/news/q...on-105088.html' HM the Queen always has a look of consternation on her face when she drives. I can't imagine she has much to think about(eyes rolling).

PigletJohn: I noted you drive a SuperV8. Our next Jag? :-)
Fraser - Yeah, what a fleet! Variety is nice. I like the Beetles, Fiat 500, and Midget(I had a 1979 burgundy MGB, the giant against yours). I have no familiarity with the newer Jaguars, but learning here and there.
ChrisMills - An XJ6, eh? I don't remember seeing those in the U.S.A., 2003-2009(?); very nice car,as well, especially with the miles per gallon possibilities.

Anyway- I've got the rattle, a trunk and door opening rubber seals to replace plus hood insulation to replace. If I rid of the rattle, I'll be back. Thanks again.

Old 05-13-2020, 02:21 PM

It's back to school for me - better go check what car I do have lol.

Old 05-13-2020, 08:44 PM

Chris - the fleet has grown behind your back? Back to school? I hope that's a safe move. I know many want to go back to school...good luck!

Old 05-13-2020, 09:28 PM

I've worked it out. You had a baby in the back seat who threw it's rattle under the front seat. I lost my cellphone once, had to stop on the roadside and break off just the right tree branch to hook it out. Really, it's dark & cramped down there, something could easily be lost.

Old 05-13-2020, 10:08 PM

Chris, your imagination will get you everywhere. Fortunately, no baby in our world, but the prior owner had crackers and peanuts(it's a southern thing here)scattered in beneath the caverns of the seat, in places so difficult to reach...whole sandwich cheese crackers and peanuts(looked good enough to eat, but not a chance! ) Now, where's Sherlock? I'll be reporting my own findings, but I'm going to enjoy the ride along the way. Did I say, I sure love this X350?(until it bites, they say).

Last edited by PhilBR; 05-13-2020 at 10:11 PM.