XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

? Double the life of your air compressor

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 01:10 PM
Banned
Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts

I have a brand new compressor if anyone is interested. PM me. It goes on Ebay soon along with my air spring units. Plus the controller, air tank, and solenoid body.

Old 01-25-2013, 07:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How much are you asking for that? Is it WEBCO? Can you PM me with info? Mention about other parts as well... Thanks
BTW mine is 2003 XJ6 (X350) but I assume its the same..... I checked with the dealer n same part number I think.

Old 02-11-2013, 10:02 PM
Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts
Unhappy

Originally Posted by Bagpipingandy
Hi Guys, thanks for the welcome's and support,

more kits listed today on ebay see link for reference:

bagpipingandy | eBay

best regards

Andy
Thanks Andy. I ordered a kit just now and hope to get it befor saturday so i can install it over the weekend. Snow or shine.

If your kit does not correct my "car too low" then it must be an air shock.

Wish me luck.

(I also have to replace an HID and probably a ballast this weekend)

Old 02-12-2013, 04:04 AM
Received 88 Likes on 45 Posts

Hi Tom,

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but shipping from the UK to USA takes 7-10 Business days , It will be posted today but it will not make it for saturday,

If the car is sinking or sitting low then this can be an air leak, ussually a shock or airbag, or could be a level sensor issue. My kit will nenew the compression which gives more air to lift the car easier but it will not stop the car lowering again, it may seem to keep it up longer but it is just as it has a better supply of air,

what exactly are the suspension symptoms? to see if we can help further

regards

Andy

Old 02-13-2013, 01:27 AM

Andy,
Thanks for the rapid reply. I figured it would take longer than a few days. I was hoping to take my bumper off just once in my lifetime, but my headlights are flickering and causing all sorts of bizarre issues.

I had my right air shock replaced over a year ago (covered by extended warranty, now expired). A few weeks ago, when the temperature dropped below 10 degrees F here in Chicago, my lights started to flicker, I got the Air Suspension Fault, and I get a “Bonnet Open” warning.

The suspension has fluctuated wildly from no issues, to the rear all the way down, then maybe the rear low but the front all the way down, to the entire car resting on the frame like a low-rider. Yesterday it was a low-rider. This morning it was fine for the first few miles, then the Air Suspension Fault came on as I parked.

I plan to check the system for leaks with soapy water this weekend when I replace all the lights (and maybe a ballast). If I’m lucky it’s just tightening a fitting. Whatever I find I plan to complete the compressor rebuild ASAP. The toughest part is finding a warm garage to work in.

I’ll let you know how it all works out.

PS – My fathers parents are from somewhere outside of Glasgow, but I don’t know where. Andrew Furie & Agnes Wooten, born about 1908.

Old 02-13-2013, 06:47 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just to chip in here, with multiple and seemingly unrelated electrical faults it may be worth a) checking you battery is up to scratch and b) checking the earth points behind the headlight area (on the passenger side of a LHD car) There are various threads about these.

The following users liked this post:
tomfurie (02-18-2013)
Old 02-13-2013, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by rswift
Just to chip in here, with multiple and seemingly unrelated electrical faults it may be worth a) checking you battery is up to scratch and b) checking the earth points behind the headlight area (on the passenger side of a LHD car) There are various threads about these.

Good point, it is definetely not the compressors fault the fluctuating levels, but a system fault which could be a few things either a leak, fault signal or electrical issue, but good point above to check the basics as you seem to have other electrical issues,

regards

Andy

tomfurie (02-18-2013)
Old 02-18-2013, 11:31 PM

Guys, thank you for your expertise!
I tapped on the ground behind the left headlight and it fell off!

After replacing the HID's, high beams and fog lights, I remounted the ground. And unexpectedly, the air suspension now works properly! And, no fault codes! At least for the last 24 hours.

Thanks again. Now I may be able to wait for warm weather to complete the air compressor rebuild.

Old 02-19-2013, 03:36 AM

Originally Posted by tomfurie
Guys, thank you for your expertise!
I tapped on the ground behind the left headlight and it fell off!

After replacing the HID's, high beams and fog lights, I remounted the ground. And unexpectedly, the air suspension now works properly! And, no fault codes! At least for the last 24 hours.

Thanks again. Now I may be able to wait for warm weather to complete the air compressor rebuild.
yes a loose or bad ground would give you all sorts of issues, it sounds like it may have fixed it well done

if you do not want the compressor kit anymore i can refund you if you post it back to me, its up to you.

best regards

Andy

JimC64 (02-24-2013)
Old 02-20-2013, 08:31 AM

Andy, thanks for the refund offer. Since the cat is going on 10 years old & has 66,000 miles, and is due for a real compressor breakdown, I'll rebuild it before it fails. Anyway, the price is just too low to not have the kit on hand.

Unless someone around Chicago needs it now, I'll keep the kit and install it as soon as I can.

Thanks again.

PS -Maybe I'm just so happy to have my cat back to normal, but I swear it seems to be more responsive than before the headlights started flickering and the suspension issues. I'm just sayin'....

JimC64 (02-24-2013)
Old 02-20-2013, 09:51 PM
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Behind F. bumper, below L. headlight.

Old 02-24-2013, 12:24 AM

Andy,
I received the air suspension repair kit today.
Since the shocks seem to be holding I'll wait for a warm spring weekend to install.
I'll post my results.

Old 02-28-2013, 10:40 AM

Can anyone provide the step-by-step procedure for removing the front bumper and air compressor on a 2007 XJ8L? My repair kit is on the way.

Thanks,
drfocus

Old 03-01-2013, 11:08 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,147 Likes on 753 Posts

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...removal-80799/

As for the front bumper removal, a search should provide you one of a couple picture-jammed threads. Its not too difficult after seeing it done one time. I can't search for you right now, but I know they are there.

drfocus (03-02-2013)
Old 03-02-2013, 07:03 AM
Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

Andy,
Sorry I took so long to welcome you to the forum, Hurricane Sandy rearranged my house and I just got back in and computer up and running. Welcome and thanks for your expertise. I will be ordering one of your kits to put on the self for that day when it comes.

Thanks Again,
Barry

Old 03-02-2013, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by H20boy
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...removal-80799/

As for the front bumper removal, a search should provide you one of a couple picture-jammed threads. Its not too difficult after seeing it done one time. I can't search for you right now, but I know they are there.
Thanks H20boy, As you suggested, I found a PDF from jimgostic for the procedure on an XK. Hoping it will be similar to my XJ.

Appreciate the help.

DF

Old 03-02-2013, 11:19 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,147 Likes on 753 Posts
Old 03-06-2013, 02:42 PM

Hi

My wife hit my drivers side front and wheel hard at about 60mph. I have had to replace the wheels as they were screwed. I have had the arms checked and they are fine. The car is not riding as high as it should be but the lights are not on.

I got told i would need to replace the suspension air shock. I wondering i this repair kit would work??

Any suggestions???

Old 03-06-2013, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Sukki
Hi

My wife hit my drivers side front and wheel hard at about 60mph. I have had to replace the wheels as they were screwed. I have had the arms checked and they are fine. The car is not riding as high as it should be but the lights are not on.

I got told i would need to replace the suspension air shock. I wondering i this repair kit would work??

Any suggestions???
Hi Sukki,

as my messages to you through ebay I dont think this is a compressor problem, this is a car not level issue, i think the sensor has been dislodged, moved or damaged with the impact to the wheel, if this were an audi it would be a definite it is the sensor as on the audi it is just clamped to the suspension arm, any force and it can be moved which changes the level, can anyone confirm if the level sensors on the front of a Jag are the same? if no error lights on this would be my thinking, visually inspect the level sensor to see if it has moved.

regards

Andy

Old 03-06-2013, 03:31 PM

Hi Andy

Thank you for that. Do you know how i can access these sensors or where they maybe located??

as my messages to you through ebay I dont think this is a compressor problem, this is a car not level issue, i think the sensor has been dislodged, moved or damaged with the impact to the wheel, if this were an audi it would be a definite it is the sensor as on the audi it is just clamped to the suspension arm, any force and it can be moved which changes the level, can anyone confirm if the level sensors on the front of a Jag are the same? if no error lights on this would be my thinking, visually inspect the level sensor to see if it has moved.

regards

Andy[/QUOTE]

Quick Reply: ? Double the life of your air compressor