XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Engine and Suspension problems on a 2006 XJ8 L

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 06:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine and Suspension problems on a 2006 XJ8 L

1st problem, and the biggest is the suspension. Now that there is some coldish weather down here, everytime I get into the car, I get the "Vehicle Too Low" warning. Then I get the "Air Suspension Fault". If I sit long enough it usually fixes itself, but Tuesday, it didn't go away at all, and didn't again today. I shouldn't drive it like that, I know, but sometimes you have to be places. I've read that it could be a relay, and that switching it with another relay, like the high beam relay, could fix it. Where is the fuse panel with these? If I need a new compressor, where is a good place to buy a rebuilt one?

2nd problem is a check engine light. Autozone printed me out the codes, and they are P0171, P0174, P2105. The first two are for the fuel trim banks one and two respectively, and suggest a problem with the MAF. The last one is for Throttle actuator control system---forced engine shutdown. Not sure what that last code came from. What steps do I need to take to fix these problems? Can I clean the MAF, do I need a new one, or is that even the problem?

I can probably do any labor for these myself, just need help figuring out where to start. Thanks.

Old 11-15-2012, 07:14 PM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Air leaks

I'm guessing you've got over 50,000 miles and so the airbags are starting to leak. My guess is you can hear the offending bag leaking. Steady hiss right after you start the car. Open hood and put ear right near shock tower.
Mine was the passenger side. I opted for a rebuilt shock from arnott for 399.
Fix it soon or you will wear out the pump. Another 400.
Search air suspension on this forum and you can read all night long...
Go to Arnott site and look at the manual. Easy replacement, not too different than a regular shock job.
Have a great day.
Gary

Old 11-16-2012, 11:57 AM

I'm almost at 100k miles right now. I just went and listened for the air leak like you suggested, but I didn't hear them leaking. I listened to both sides, and I did hear air flowing, but it seemed to be coming from the engine and not the shocks. Is there any way to check the compressor besides seeing if the suspension raises?

Old 11-16-2012, 12:45 PM

Which is the air suspension relay, and which relay do I need to switch it with? I'm about to leave for work and want to at least try the relay thing since it's around 50 miles there and back.

Old 11-16-2012, 02:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

The air suspension compressor probably needs replacing, as it's a notorioius short-life component. These things take some time to fail completely; yours sounds as if its finally on its last legs. If it has been recently replaced, clearly something else is wrong, so it could be an air spring, but check the compressor first, then look at more expensive things.

BTW a 'woosh' of air after shutting down the car after a run, is programmed and is the system blowing out the water in the water trap in the compressor.

Old 11-16-2012, 03:23 PM
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

About your MAF. Buy some MAF cleaner and clean it. I had issues with mine about a year ago. It was covered in dirt and grime. Cleaned it, no prob. Good luck with your air suspension. I ended up converting mine at around 80,000. All depends on how much $$$ someone is willing to spend on keeping the Air.

Old 11-16-2012, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by AvatarofAwesome
I'm almost at 100k miles right now. I just went and listened for the air leak like you suggested, but I didn't hear them leaking. I listened to both sides, and I did hear air flowing, but it seemed to be coming from the engine and not the shocks. Is there any way to check the compressor besides seeing if the suspension raises?
You need to listen right when you start up the car and the front end is almost down on the ground. Cold. First thing. That's when I hear mine leaking. After it warms up and pumps up some, the leak becomes minimal and you cannot hear it.

Old 11-16-2012, 08:03 PM

Relay.
Look in fuse box right in front of passenger side strut mount in eng compartment.
Fuse #4. Swap it with other high beam fuse of same color and amperage. Mine are brownish.

Old 11-17-2012, 12:09 AM

Thanks guys, I switched the relays around and it finally aired up on the way to work! Huzzah! Well, for about 5 minutes anyway. Then the yellow "Air Suspension Fault" came on, followed shortly by the red "Vehicle too low" indicators. I guess this means that I need a relay, a compressor, and some new front shocks? Say it ain't so.

Old 11-17-2012, 12:11 AM

Dang, forgot something and can't edit posts. USMC1211 (Ooh-Rah!), any old MAF cleaner from Autozone will do it? Just take it out and spray it down?

Old 11-17-2012, 03:28 PM
Veteran Member

I guess this means that I need a relay, a compressor, and some new front shocks? Say it ain't so.
I'd go for the compressor and relay first. Cheaper.

If this fails to do the trick it may be spring units.

Old 11-17-2012, 03:39 PM
Default Priority.

Don't spend any money until you find out what's wrong.
The relay is fine or you wouldn't get any air pumping at all.
The compressor might be weak, but still ok.
An airshock is leaking too fast for the pump to keep up so therefor the air susp fault and eventually the veh too low.
That is my best guess. Find the hisser and go from there.
Good luck.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:15 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default front end stays longer low as weather gets colder

hey I have a similar problem, I have a 2004 xjr and lately after the cold weather, I live in ohio, in the morning the front end is low, I start the car and get the message vehicle too low, then 5 minutes later ,AIR SUSPENSION FAULT, I drive the car to work about couple miles, shut the car off, stay at work fort couple hours, then start the car and five minutes, the messages disappear and the front end is up and the ride is smooth, as it got colder I'll drive the car to work, then back home with VEHICLE TOO LOW and AIR SUSPENSION FAULT, and a very rough ride, then restart the car an hour later and the mesages disappear and the front end is up and the ride is smooth. it looks to me the more it got colder the more it took time for the front end to rise. can someone help me.

Old 01-04-2013, 04:42 PM
Veteran Member

Hi tanios

Are you still on the original air compressor ? What you are describing is the classic worn-out compressor piston syndrome. Its always at its worst when its cold. I had this in England in 2010 when late autumn started, having bought the car in May. New compressor cured it. Fault code C0203 is the one, I think, but get them read and checked out.

Old 01-05-2013, 07:35 AM
Received 88 Likes on 45 Posts

I agree with N9921X, diagnose the problem don't throwparts at it, if the car sinks it is a leak or faulty signal telling the car to lower.

to find a leak listen or use soapy water to diagnose where the leak may be, ussually the airbladders or the air connections are 1st to show signs.

the compressor will be weak compensating any leaks, a new compressor will mask the leak but it will still be there and essentially work any new compressor harder than normal conditions.

there is a rebuild kit available for these compressors should you decide it is time to replace, this give you the option to refurbish: bagpipingandy | eBay

I just cant think of the guy that sells them though!!

regards

Andy

Old 05-28-2013, 12:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you have any luck with the engine fault codes?

Mine has recorded P0174 Bank 2 System Too Lean a couple of times. I reset it and it came back so guess it is a genuine fault.

Is there a list of likely suspects in the manual or from people's experience?

Looks like an air leak, but could it be the MAF?

Old 05-28-2013, 05:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 739 Likes on 622 Posts

Sorry to hear about the problems with the air suspensions in the US.

First thing I would do is check for codes or even cheaper, replace compressor seal, or if you are really tight (like wot I am!) shim the seal and take it from there.

You do not need to replace the compressor. It is a cheap fix.

Old 06-01-2013, 02:15 PM
FMT
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

try measuring the height from your fenders, leave it over night. Then determined which one is lowest. this might let you know if you need a shock or shocks