XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

factory DAB, DAB+, SDARS/Sirius, IBOC retrofit for all X350

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2016, 03:11 PM
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,421 Posts

Depends on what you mean by "doesn't work" and how long ago it was actually working.

There was a re-organisation of the DAB channels broadcast in the UK in 2014, see here TOPIx - SSM72029 - Changes to the way DAB is transmitted across the U.K.pdf so if your DAB channels were tuned some years ago, you need to re-tune it, i'd suggest changing the country to another one, and then change it back to the UK again, this will force a complete re-tune.

BUT you need to be in an area with good reception/coverage when you make the re-tune, not locked away in a stone garage, go to an elevated position (top of a hill etc) and then make the tuning.

The other thing is the Link mode in the DAB which helps to keep hold of stations when you pass from one transmitter to another, but I could not find an option in the X358 radio to turn this Link mode on. I can find it in the Land Rover, but not in the Jag... so maybe the X358 can't do this.

Here is the excerpt from the X358 manual regarding DAB X358 audio system DAB.pdf also explains the tuning methods.

The following users liked this post:
rtcosic (11-11-2016)
Old 11-11-2016, 03:22 AM
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Cambo
Depends on what you mean by "doesn't work" and how long ago it was actually working.

The presets show up but greyed out.

As always a comprehensive (and comprehensible) reply from a true expert - many thanks.

I will try the techniques you describe when I am next sat on the drive in England next to a car with a functioning DAB radio so I can be certain of a good signal.

Old 12-13-2016, 04:09 PM
Received 110 Likes on 42 Posts

Hi Cambo

Thanks for your great study of the Dab radio modification.

I have a 2008 xjr With the Band button on the radio Control, great.
I also have the Dab radio unit, I suppose it is DAB+? Its a used unit from a x351..

And I have ordered the MOST-D2B Gateway

How do I find out if I have a DAB antenna already on my car? Rear window or roof pod? Do I need a amplifier? Does the antenna on the Dab radio unit work through the fiberoptics or do I need a long antenna cable to somewhere?

And are there some fiberoptic cables with Connectors i cshould order while I am at it, any partnumbers? Please..

Best regard
Ole Mobeck
Norway
Forside - mobeck.com

Old 12-13-2016, 04:22 PM

Far out did you really buy a brand new D2B-MOST gateway? They are £485!!!!

In an X358 the Band-III antenna is already there in the rear window, you just need the amplifier to connect to it. The L-Band antenna is in the roof pod but almost no countries use L-Band (I think only Czech Republic from memory) so 99% of the time for DAB/DAB+ you can leave out the L-Band antenna.

The part number you have there for the Band-III antenna C2C34527 is correct, it connects to the rear window (you need to lift the parcel shelf to get access).

And then you need to make up the cabling. I can make you a coaxial cable with the special double-Fakra connector on it to go from the DAB receiver to the antenna amplifier.

You need a short MOST cable male-to-male, look on ebay.

You need a D2B extension to add the gateway to the D2B loop. You can find any D2B fiber from a Jaguar and extend the loop yourself.

The power wiring is tricky, I could never identify the power connector to the gateway so I made my own using female pins from another connector, and insulated with heatshrink (crushed them a little to make a very tight fit).

You can buy a power adaptor with the green plug for the DAB module as a spare part from JLR, p/n LR032814 or C2D22599

Panthro (08-07-2017)
Old 12-13-2016, 04:26 PM

Just some additional information to add here.

If you are doing this on an early car (like my 2004-build) you need to have the latest software installed in your nav unit. I rolled back the software in mine to 2004 and the DAB does not show on the screen, then with the latest software from 2009 it shows.

The radio from the X-Type with the BAND button will also work in the X350/X356 but you need to swap the front fascia from the radio over (X-Type is grey, X350 is black)

Old 12-14-2016, 11:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 306 Likes on 224 Posts

Cambo - quick question - here in the UK do I specifically need an older DAB receiver, or will a later DAB+ receiver also receive DAB-ordinaire ? 'Cos if they will they might be easier to find.

Dave

Last edited by Partick the Cat; 12-14-2016 at 11:32 AM.
Old 12-14-2016, 02:23 PM

The UK is not using DAB+ so one of the older DAB modules 6H52-19C032-Ax will be fine for you.

The newer DAB+ modules can also receive DAB.

The following 2 users liked this post by Cambo:
Panthro (08-07-2017), Partick the Cat (12-14-2016)
Old 12-15-2016, 01:46 PM

In an X358 the Band-III antenna is already there in the rear window, you just need the amplifier to connect to it. The L-Band antenna is in the roof pod but almost no countries use L-Band (I think only Czech Republic from memory) so 99% of the time for DAB/DAB+ you can leave out the L-Band antenna.

The part number you have there for the Band-III antenna C2C34527 is correct, it connects to the rear window (you need to lift the parcel shelf to get access).

And then you need to make up the cabling. I can make you a coaxial cable with the special double-Fakra connector on it to go from the DAB receiver to the antenna amplifier.

You need a D2B extension to add the gateway to the D2B loop. You can find any D2B fiber from a Jaguar and extend the loop yourself.

The power wiring is tricky, I could never identify the power connector to the gateway so I made my own using female pins from another connector, and insulated with heatshrink (crushed them a little to make a very tight fit).

You can buy a power adaptor with the green plug for the DAB module as a spare part from JLR, p/n LR032814 or C2D22599
Thanks Cambo

Yes I bought a New one but I found it cheaper than £485 or lets say I got it cheaper.

Here in Norway we loose the FM signal in the spring, and its only DAB+ from there. How can I know if the dab unit I found is + and not just DAB ?

Is the 6H52-19C032-Ax DAB and 6H52-19C032-AE DAB+ ?

Old 12-15-2016, 02:18 PM

DAB modules are 6H52-19C032-Ax

DAB+ modules are CPLA-14F720-Bx

The x can be many different letters depending on the module revision...

Old 12-15-2016, 02:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 306 Likes on 224 Posts

Finding the gateway is the problem (you weren't kidding) rare as hen's teeth

Old 01-31-2017, 02:37 PM

Hi Cambo
Now I got the 2013 xf dab + radio, the D2b-MOST Gateway, and the antenna amplifier. i only need cables and eventually fiberoptics. Ara the cables I can buy from you, or are you kind and can inform about partnumbers? I Guess I need both antenna cables, signal cables and fiberopticks?

I cannot find any parts drawings and Routing descriptions so I dont know what I am missing actually.

Best regard Ole Mobeck

Old 01-31-2017, 04:29 PM

Hi,

I can make up the coaxial cable for the antenna, send me a PM with your email address.

The fiber optic extensions you can make yourself, have a look at the instruction in this thread ==>> https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...-cable-175292/

There is a power adaptor cable as a spare from Land Rover, p/n LR032814, this is the green power plug for the DAB+ module, cut the black plug off it and extend the wires to your power source.

The biggest problem is the plug for the Gateway module, I have not been able to identify it and seems it's not available as a spare part from JLR... that's why I made my own like you can see in the pictures, with the black heatshrink.

Old 09-15-2017, 07:39 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have ben following this to do something similar. However, I seem to have lost the ability to see the pictures now? Tried 3 different browsers?l

Old 09-15-2017, 09:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,166 Likes on 2,335 Posts

Originally Posted by Neville Punchard
I have ben following this to do something similar. However, I seem to have lost the ability to see the pictures now? Tried 3 different browsers?l
Don't know what kind of computer you're working on and don't want to gum up this thread so if this doesn't work, please start a new thread. Make sure you have Adobe Flash installed. Please don't reply.

Old 09-15-2017, 09:50 AM
Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean W
Don't know what kind of computer you're working on and don't want to gum up this thread so if this doesn't work, please start a new thread. Make sure you have Adobe Flash installed. Please don't reply.
My, somebody got out of the wrong side of bed this morning!
For what it's worth, I cannot see the images anymore either, which I would assume means something wrong with whatever web-host Cambo is using to serve his images. I'm not sure what Adobe Flash would have to do with it.

Ben

Sean W (09-15-2017)
Old 09-15-2017, 06:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,166 Likes on 2,335 Posts

Originally Posted by benwillcox
My, somebody got out of the wrong side of bed this morning!
Ben
I didn't mean it that way but as I re-read it, it's clear I need a time out

Last edited by Sean W; 09-16-2017 at 08:29 AM.
Old 09-16-2017, 04:30 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks guys- no offence taken I assure you. I now have all the bits and so I plan on starting to take my S-type apart next week! Will keep you posted.

Old 09-16-2017, 04:55 AM

Ah crap.... Dropbox has pulled a Photobucket and disabled hotlinking... might take me a while to get the pictures back up...

Old 09-16-2017, 01:45 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Gents,

I have acquired what I thought were the difficult pieces to install sirius. I have the gateway, the sirius module, the D2b cable and the MOST cable. What I cannot seem to find is the connections to the gateway and sirius modules. I looked behind the rear seat, and I found an empty antenna lead and power connection but they are at the c-pillar at the top of the door. The sirius module is mounted in the center of the car. Can anyone tell me if there was a wiring extension used? Also, in reviewing the wiring diagram for the car a connection is mentioned for the gateway power. When I first acquired the car, she who must be obeyed, called sirius and provided the VIN, sirius stated the receiver was still in use. I have inferred that the unit was moved to another vehicle.

So the question is where are the leads and connectors for the gateway and sirius module. I think the ones I found behind the seat can be extended with the correct connections. That leaves the gateway. I found the connector pictured below. What I cannot figure out is what is the device it is connected to? There are no other potential connections.

mystery connection

Does someone with a factory installation have pictures for the gateway and the connections they can share? TIA

Greg

Old 09-16-2017, 02:54 PM
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Don't want to hijack the thread, but I have a question in this area and can't find the answer. I have an '04 XJ8. Trying to remove the module that has the ashtray cover. Looks like there are two plastic caps at the front of the module, but they don't seem to have any relief areas to put a tiny screwdriver into to pry up. Are the mounting screws under these caps? How would you suggest prying them up? Thanks.

Quick Reply: factory DAB, DAB+, SDARS/Sirius, IBOC retrofit for all X350