XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Found a way for a 6HP26 to 6R80 swap! Lightning shifts, and 1000hp capability!

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2021, 12:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,043 Likes on 839 Posts

the main thing stopping the 6R80 valvebody and leadframe from just working is the oneway clutch they added. this is also what finally killed the famous 2-1 lurch

https://gearsmagazine.com/magazine/u...d-6r80-part-2/

The following users liked this post:
Panthro (12-24-2021)
Old 12-24-2021, 01:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts

So the ultimate combination would be a 6HP26/6HP28 transmission with 6R80 guts & clutches, 6HP26/6HP28 torque converter with 6R80 guts, 6R80 valvebody& leadframe, and a controller so the car doesn't have a fit. Doesn't US Shift make a controller for the 6R80?

​​

Old 12-28-2021, 10:56 AM
Received 69 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by xalty
the main thing stopping the 6R80 valvebody and leadframe from just working is the oneway clutch they added. this is also what finally killed the famous 2-1 lurch

https://gearsmagazine.com/magazine/u...d-6r80-part-2/
Please elaborate what do you mean when you say there is a thing that stops the 6R80 valvebody and leadframe from working. Do you mean to say that the valvebody from the 6R80 cannot be made to work in the 6HP26 case? It is a prerequisite that I use the electronics from the 6R80 in order for the usshift controller to work.

Panthro, I am thinking mainily along these lines. I wrote to Circle D, they make billet converters for 6R80 Mustangs, asking them whether they'd make a custom converter that fits phisically, but has the 6R80 spline, and a better (multiplate?) TCC. WIll wait for them to reply. My plan is to buy a OEM XJR converter from ebay, and send it to them for phisical fitment purposes.

Eric, I have received no word from the dealer, after chatting with them. Is that the small town treatment you mentioned? Distrustful of strangers? Maybe you know somebody that knows somebody that gan get through to the tech?

Panthro (12-30-2021)
Old 12-29-2021, 12:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,043 Likes on 839 Posts

Originally Posted by Matei Dima
Please elaborate what do you mean when you say there is a thing that stops the 6R80 valvebody and leadframe from working. Do you mean to say that the valvebody from the 6R80 cannot be made to work in the 6HP26 case? It is a prerequisite that I use the electronics from the 6R80 in order for the usshift controller to work.
if you build a complete 11+ 6r80 inside the case of course it will work.

meant to say that valve body\lead frame won't work in any earlier transmission because of the oneway clutch and the different solenoid strategy. quick6 depends on you having that 11+ lead frame

Last edited by xalty; 12-29-2021 at 12:59 AM.
Panthro (12-30-2021)
Old 12-29-2021, 08:38 AM

I have been in talks with Circle D for a custom converter. First the good news:
they did converters for 6HP26 transmissions with 6R80 internals both in Australia, and currently for the X5M crowd in Russia. So there is every chance our transmissions can be built with the tougher 6R80 parts, only remaining thing is the converter.
The other good news is a custom converter made to order from a sample OEM one would cost $1500. That really is a fair price! And the cherry on top is it will come with a multidisc TCC that can handle all the TS can throw at it!
The bad news is that I would have to buy 5.

Maybe if I can build a 6HP26 with 6R80 internals and have it work with the Jag valvebody, perhaps more members would become interested, and a kit could be made just of the parts needed to beef the trans up, including the Circle D converter, and then it would make financial sense for CircleD to invest in engineering it. But as of now, I feel I am the only one willing to dive in the uncertain waters of this project (and understandably so), so I would need another solution for a working converter.

Can a OEM converter be modified to accept the spline count of a 6R80? Or is there a shop that does one-off converters? I am prepared to spend more than it makes financial sense for this project, but $7500 for the converter alone makes me actively try and get alternatives.

Last edited by Matei Dima; 12-29-2021 at 08:41 AM.
Panthro (12-30-2021)
Old 12-31-2021, 10:08 AM
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Has anyone talked with PVE Tuning to see what the cost is on their stand-alone EMS?

I have another project and have to keep the Jag in one piece for now, but I'd love to run a stand alone, then switch out the trans for a t56 and the rear for a 9", and finally replace the heaton with a big damn turbo. The bottom end is strong on these, the heads flow pretty well. I'm not a huge fan of the parasitic loss, limitations of the stock supercharger, or price of a big blower.

Old 01-01-2022, 07:55 AM
Veteran Member

Oh yeah, I found a transmission dipstick for the 6R80 in the Mustang Cobra Jet that should fit to the 6HP26/6HP28. Meant to post about it a while ago, but distractions abound. I'm fairly certain it'll fit, but since it mounts to the back of the cylinder head it might need a mod of some kind. That being said, the reviews for this guy are pretty good. I figure this is a better alternate to the deep pan/ dipstick setup from PA

Old 01-01-2022, 02:48 PM
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Thanks for the digging work! An adapter plate was my first go-to, however when you presented your idea I began favoring that option because:
1. it would keep the exact dimensions of the 6HP if you can keep the output shaft from the ZF, so the driveshaft slips right in
2. it would not require an adapter plate, which I can immagine nobody sells. And seeing the eagerness of every shop in the States to take on my project (please smell the sarcasm), I am pessimistic. Or do you know somebody that makes one? If I use an adapter plate, the length of the trans changes, and I automatically have to have a custom drive shaft - again, who can do that?

What I currently think would be best is to have the OEM converter sent to a custom converter shop (any recommendations?), and have one tailor made so that it fits the jag flexplate, and the 6r80 input shaft. And also crucially, multiple clutches can be used. The stock one lasted a week after rebuild. I see Avos has had the same problem, he mentioned several times he has no lockup left.

Eric, I have had no reply from the dealership... is that the small town treatment you were mentioning was heading my way? Do you know somebody that knows somebody who can put in a good word for me? (I also commute to work in a small town, and usually this approach nets better results haha).
Right now I am up to my neck in medical issues with my wife, so I wouldn't look for much response from me. My trans has started buzzing at stops, and low speeds, so I may have to get back into this discussion. I did order the magic dust; (DR. Tranny's instant stutter fixer) but will have to find time to get it on the lift, and squeeze it in.

Old 01-25-2022, 11:53 PM

Another bit of progress, I got a reply from an Australian company that makes 6hp converters fit a 6r80 shaft, I'm currently trying to locate an OEM converter to have it sent to them

oilstain, I tried contacting Swallows Racing, but alas to no avail. Perhaps you could try contacting them to see if you have better luck? (https://swallows-jag.co.uk/)
If you get a hold of them, please report back, as I am also curious as to their pricing, and actually being able to buy the standalone system. If I'm going with the hybrid 6r80/6hp with Ford electronics & usshift controller, electronically it would be like having a manual, so what you intend to do would be identical to what I'm trying to achieve.

Eric, my thoughts go to your wife's health, hope she'll be back on her feet soon!

The following 3 users liked this post by Matei Dima:
Eric-in-Texas (01-29-2022), Jacuar (01-26-2022), Panthro (01-26-2022)
Old 01-26-2022, 08:19 AM
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

My apologies, all. I thought I had reported back with my findings. Here is the response from PVE:
Hi Chris,
Thanks for getting in touch.
We’ve completed the majority of the development for the S-Type Denso platform. We’ve redesigned the hardware side of it, to a custom PCB and interconnecting leads. I was not overly happy initially with the ‘fly lead’. It’s pretty much flawless. It’s done a few thousand miles on the road with no problems.
We are presently waiting for the new PCB, and some enclosures. Getting anything seems to be a nightmare at the moment. But we expect the firs ‘V2’ to be complete within a couple of months.
We’ve then got to test the product on various different Jaguar platforms. We are expecting the CAN-BUS to be very similar. I know there are a few differences from the various ‘grabs’ I’ve pulled from them. Most of the addressing year-year looks similar on the Denso powered ECU.
Costs, I’m unsure of honestly, Swallows Racing, are essentially funding the development of the package, so ultimately they will be the suppliers of the system.
A Super V8 Turbo, sounds epic.

Kind Regards,
Steve

Old 01-27-2022, 11:45 AM
Veteran Member

Hey Matei Dima, have you run any of this past Cambo at all? I'm pretty sure the guys at OJT can reprogram the transmission, but I think you'll need a SDD & a Mongoose cable.

Old 01-29-2022, 12:39 AM

I can attest telepathy works like a charm on these boards, that's exactly what I did. I am in contact with another company from Down Under, let's see where this goes.
So now the best option is keeping the OEM mechatronic, and bench flashing the TCM, once Cambo is finished with it, he got a '03-'05 TCM last month. So all I need now is a hard parts swap, which is awesome.

Eric-in-Texas (01-29-2022), Mclovin22 (07-12-2022), Panthro (01-29-2022)
Old 07-12-2022, 12:14 AM
Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Just curious as to if there is any good news or updates from members about this?

Old 07-12-2022, 05:29 AM

Haha some intuition you got there!
I was waiting for it to be complete, and start a new thread about the build, but the shirt and loud answer is YES!

Basically I am building a hybrid 6R80/6HP26 trans, with billet aftermarket parts made for the 6R80 inside the Jag case. Torque converter is also an OEM Jag part, with internal modifications to handle the extra power, and twin lockup clutches. Valvebody remains OEM, and the best possible news is that Cambo and Moscow Leaper found a way to crack the TCM, so it will have 250ms shifts, and every parameter accessible!

Only downside is that only the guys from Down Under are willing to do this. One thing is for sure, it will be a tad expensive, with shipping fron Australia to Europe.

Don B (07-14-2022), MaxTorq (07-12-2022), Panthro (07-13-2022)
Old 07-12-2022, 01:26 PM
Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Well that's absolutely incredible. I think I'd be interested in something like this in the near future, as I plan on purchasing a Supercharged Jaguar to modify and have fun with, and this sort of mod would make the shifting and such incredible.

Old 07-15-2022, 02:26 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Haha some intuition you got there!
I was waiting for it to be complete, and start a new thread about the build, but the shirt and loud answer is YES!

Basically I am building a hybrid 6R80/6HP26 trans, with billet aftermarket parts made for the 6R80 inside the Jag case. Torque converter is also an OEM Jag part, with internal modifications to handle the extra power, and twin lockup clutches. Valvebody remains OEM, and the best possible news is that Cambo and Moscow Leaper found a way to crack the TCM, so it will have 250ms shifts, and every parameter accessible!

Only downside is that only the guys from Down Under are willing to do this. One thing is for sure, it will be a tad expensive, with shipping fron Australia to Europe.
This is ground breaking news!

Any idea if this TCM software will be sold to the public?

Old 07-16-2022, 04:22 PM

I believe Cambo and Moscow Leaper can make a tune for stock(ish) cars. Main issue would be that stock we are quite close to the 600Nm torque limit. The weak input shaft will be under considerably higher stress with faster shifts, making snapping it a possibility. I asked for the quickest shift possible, but I will run upgraded internals. However I think the guys can make a tune with a bit softer shifts, but also considerably quicker than the 800ms the stock tune has.

Most trouble for you fine gentlemen would be the scanmatik interface you have to get from Russia. Luckily I got one just before the troubles with the war in Ukraine. As a courtesy for forum members, if you ever are in my area, I can help you with mine for the TCM and/or PCM upgrade. 06 and up can do both through OBD, 03-05 only PCM through OBD, TCM has to be done with the valvebody removed, unfortunately.

Jaroslav Záruba (04-25-2024)
Old 07-17-2022, 07:35 AM
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

You do realize that you are becoming the Godfather of the beefed up 6HP26?

The following 2 users liked this post by Eric-in-Texas:
Jaroslav Záruba (04-25-2024), Panthro (07-21-2022)
Old 07-25-2022, 12:38 PM

Nice thing to say, but the real work is being done by Cambo & Moscow Leaper on the software side and by T&D Bros racing for the transmission hardware & custom torque converter. The only credit I can take is for getting them to work together for the Jag 6hp26

Panthro (07-31-2022)
Old 07-31-2022, 11:44 AM
Veteran Member

How about "Mastermind "?

Quick Reply: Found a way for a 6HP26 to 6R80 swap! Lightning shifts, and 1000hp capability!