XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

global close

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 04:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 281 Posts
Default global close

I know this is not enabled by default for US cars. I asked the dealer to enable this feature for me last week (was there for other work), and was billed handsomely for the privileged.

Today I try it out--no go. I press the lock button once, car locks, continue holding and nothing. Release and held the lock button on the remote for 5-10 seconds, doors re-locked, nothing else. 3 times the same result.

Put the key in the door lock and held CW 3 seconds, windows rolled up fine.

Is there anything special I need to do, or is it just holding the lock button down?

Thanks,
-Michael

Old 03-19-2013, 04:46 PM
GGG
Received 16,829 Likes on 12,179 Posts

Michael,

It sounds like you've had the same Global Close feature we have in Europe activated on your vehicle?

If so, here's the UK Driver's Handbook section describing the operating procedure.

Hope it helps.

Graham

Attached Thumbnails global close-x350-security-locks-2.jpg  
Old 03-19-2013, 06:21 PM
Veteran Member

Yes, that's exactly what I paid them to activate. Does not work at all via the remote.

Thank you so much for posting that! The US manual does not include global close via remote, key only. We do get global open with key and remote.

Old 03-19-2013, 07:35 PM
Received 256 Likes on 144 Posts
Default Global Close

This is one of my favorite features, I know why you miss it!

Push and hold window down switch until window retracts fully. Do not release for approx one second after window reaches bottom.

Pull and hold window up switch until window closes fully. Do not release for approx one second after window reaches top.

Repeat for each window.

Thanks-
Mag

Old 03-20-2013, 01:06 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,147 Likes on 753 Posts

I enabled this one myself using SDD at home, and it works as described using my fob. Try this. Lock it first. Then re-depress the lock button and hold. Maybe the folding mirrors which is part of the remote function affects sequencing.

Old 03-20-2013, 03:33 AM
Received 4,446 Likes on 2,425 Posts

Like magmedia says, you need to train each window to open/close automatically.

If you have the battery disconnected the windows lose thier settings, so wouldn't be surprised if they need re-training.

Old 03-20-2013, 06:47 AM
Veteran Member

Not sure about that, the one-touch up and down work perfectly via the switches. I can try the learning procedure again, but I thought if the auto stop via switches worked then it was set.

I did try locking the car first, then holding the lock button a second time. Tried it again this morning. Then I put the key in the door and held CW, window rolled up with no problem. Don't have folding mirrors on my car.

****Edit****

Oh my gosh... just looked at the invoice, stated that they "enabled global opening per customer request." I swear, how can dealerships be so unbelievably incompetent? Global opening is already enabled on the car from the factory!! Anybody who reads this, DO NOT take your business to Leith Jaguar in Cary, NC.

Last edited by mhamilton; 03-20-2013 at 10:18 AM.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:12 PM
Veteran member

Awe, could be a simple misunderstanding. Take it back early one day, note the error to the service consultant, and it should get fixed...maybe 30 minutes, tops.

Old 03-21-2013, 06:46 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by H20boy
Awe, could be a simple misunderstanding. Take it back early one day, note the error to the service consultant, and it should get fixed...maybe 30 minutes, tops.
Oh no... this is an ongoing thing with this dealer--lots of "misunderstandings" of customer complaints, overcharging, performing work without authorization.

I am getting my money back for the missing service. Which is fine with me. If they had called me in the first place and said $86 to enable the feature, I would have said no.

Also, the final response from the service adviser was "that feature can not be enabled on US market cars." Of course.

Last edited by mhamilton; 03-21-2013 at 07:02 AM.
Old 03-21-2013, 06:38 PM
Veteran member

I understand your decision now. You need to get it enabled and then take it by to show them it can be done quite easily.

The following users liked this post:
lcmjaguar (07-02-2013)
Old 07-01-2013, 12:30 PM
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Cambo351
Like magmedia says, you need to train each window to open/close automatically.
Hi chaps, I'd like my global function to work, but I've tried everything. I've tried resetting as above, even though my windows were fine at the one shot function and a variety of button pushes and prods, but nothing. It doesn't work AT ALL. Not from the fob, not from the centre console button, not even by putting the key in the door and holding it whilst locking or unlocking it.

Old 07-01-2013, 05:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 306 Likes on 224 Posts

It's enabled on mine but it seems to work on the third press.
First press of the lock button locks the car and retracts the mirrors
Second press arms the anti theft gubbins, flashes the direction flashers, and makes a beep.
Third press (and hold) closes the sun-roof and windows.

Likewise on opening, pressing the unlock button ...
First press unlocks the driver's door
Second press unlocks the passenger doors
Third press (and hold) opens windows and roof.

humbug2 (07-05-2013)
Old 07-02-2013, 06:27 AM
Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

My car works the same, global opening from the fob no problem, global close only works by inserting the key in the door and holding it CW.

I would like global close from the fob and give up global opening for those times when you look out the house window and say oh s.h.i.t it's raining and my car windows and roof are open. Press a button from the dry home and all is well.

Old 07-02-2013, 11:33 AM

Partick, I'll try the 3rd press routine, see what happens. It may be different on the XJ, as you mention your mirrors folding on the 2nd press. Mine and as far as I know, no S Types do this.

Old 07-02-2013, 12:12 PM
Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

On my Canadian purchased 04 XJ-VDP, global open works from the key fob, but global close only from the key in the door. The car came new with the global open feature enabled, as I didn't have to request it to be enabled. Prior to now, I've not discovered that global close doesn't work from the fob, as I've only had a desire to do global open from the fob on hot days to let some of the heat out of the car before I get in.

Old 11-14-2013, 07:38 AM

Recently I got around to properly cut and solder the bad connection on the connector for the windows, as the window decided to not work again after my last attempt to fix it. Window now goes up and down as it should.

I was amazed to find, quite by chance, that the global close and open now works too.

It was always there, just the bad connection was not allowing enough juice to flow. It works without holding the button down throughout the window up or down operation too, so you can press and walk away.

Old 10-31-2014, 09:23 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question key fob closing of all windows

My key fob used to close all windows but now just locks the doors on my 2007 XJ8 windows and sunroof won't close any suggestions

Old 11-01-2014, 09:35 AM
Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Are you sure global close worked from your key fob on your NA car? As already stated previously, for NA cars, global close from the key fob is only supposed to lock the doors. Global close from the key slot should close windows and sunroof.

Old 11-01-2014, 03:03 PM
Received 150 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by mhamilton
Not sure about that, the one-touch up and down work perfectly via the switches. I can try the learning procedure again, but I thought if the auto stop via switches worked then it was set.

I did try locking the car first, then holding the lock button a second time. Tried it again this morning. Then I put the key in the door and held CW, window rolled up with no problem. Don't have folding mirrors on my car.

****Edit****

Oh my gosh... just looked at the invoice, stated that they "enabled global opening per customer request." I swear, how can dealerships be so unbelievably incompetent? Global opening is already enabled on the car from the factory!! Anybody who reads this, DO NOT take your business to Leith Jaguar in Cary, NC.
Agreed - I asked around about Leith Jaguar - as they own multiple dealerships in the area - I wanted to have then do one particular thing: ENABLE GLOBAL OPENING! No kidding. I got mixed reviews, but mainly I got "As long as you don't mind paying for what would take 3 minutes with and SDD/Mongoose setup.

PM sent

garywood (11-02-2014)
Old 11-02-2014, 10:13 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, I've got a 2007 xj8 and I live on the fifth floor of a condo and I used to open & close the windows and sun roof from up there. Just opens now but did switch from double locking to single locking I wonder?

Quick Reply: global close