XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Handsfree Phone minimum requirements?

Old 03-26-2009, 02:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Handsfree Phone minimum requirements?

I just acquired a 2005 XJ8 VDP. It has voice control capabilities and a steering wheel button that implies handsfree capability, but no where in the owner's manual or the touch screen manual do they mention anything about activation. Actually, the owner's manual breifly mentions not to use phone for fear of interupting other electronics in the car (go figure!). Other threads mention having to add cables of sorts. Where can I get information to install or pair or fix a phone in a 2005 XJ8 VDP?

Old 03-27-2009, 02:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the owner's manual there are actually very simple directions on how to sync up your phone and transfer your phone book...It literally taked less than a minute to do.

1. Push the phone button on your head unit - it'll say " discover me "
2. Make sure the cell phone is near by....go to your phone bluetooth activation and activate devices..it should locate" Jaguar".. and will give u an option to connect to jaguar - the nav will say phone connected. That's it...there may be a 4 digit code that you have to put in ( it should be in the manual )...

Old 03-27-2009, 07:05 AM

Jaguar Voice and Handsfree Phone are two different options. It may be possible you have both, but all cars have the mute button on the steering wheel.

The best way to tell is to push the phone button on your touchscreen - if it says "Phone Not Fitted" then you do not have the phone option.

Old 03-27-2009, 08:58 PM
Default $2000 to have it dealer installed

I was quoted $2000 to have the bluetooth option added to my 2005 SuperV8 not originally equipped with it. Anyone know whats involved in getting this installed myself?

Old 03-30-2009, 10:09 AM

You need the Bluetooth module, the PSE module, and a new D2B link lead to connect it to the optical system.

They are hard to find on ebay - may have better success calling around various salvage yards in your area.

I am also not positive that the power wiring is there either - think it depends on the trim level of your car - but Jaguar usually doesn't install an inch of wiring from the factory to facilitate installing options in the field. Very few things are "plug-n-play" for the XJ.

Old 03-31-2009, 03:15 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If JaguarVoice is installed and working, you at least have the microphone in place and I would imagine thats the same mic for Bluetooth as well. I went the opposite way and had the voice control installed when I bought my 2006 SuperV8. Bluetooth was already fitted. All i needed was the voice module and the "activation". All negotiated at purchase, which won't apply in your case, I guess.

Old 03-31-2009, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Charlienmr
If JaguarVoice is installed and working, you at least have the microphone in place and I would imagine thats the same mic for Bluetooth as well. I went the opposite way and had the voice control installed when I bought my 2006 SuperV8. Bluetooth was already fitted. All i needed was the voice module and the "activation". All negotiated at purchase, which won't apply in your case, I guess.

Been thinking about the voice module for my 2006 VDP. Approx. what did it cost you to have it added?

Old 03-31-2009, 09:03 PM
Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

PSE from the deler is in the $500 teritory, Voice I think is $1k or so.

PSE pops up on eBay from time to time. Now there is a PSE & Voice module combo for $450 (search Jaguar Voice). I would guess the seller would let it go for about $250.

This does not include the D2B cable or Bluetooth module or microphone. Jag_genus can help with thouse items.

I installed the PSE and Voice modules myself - very easy wiring was there on my 2004 VDP.

You need to get your car to a dealer afterwards, they need to re-configure the computers to be on the same software level, otherwise some incompatibilities may pop-up. Should be an hour or so work.

Last edited by veffremov; 03-31-2009 at 09:05 PM.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by veffremov
PSE from the deler is in the $500 teritory, Voice I think is $1k or so.

PSE pops up on eBay from time to time. Now there is a PSE & Voice module combo for $450 (search Jaguar Voice). I would guess the seller would let it go for about $250.

This does not include the D2B cable or Bluetooth module or microphone. Jag_genus can help with thouse items.

I installed the PSE and Voice modules myself - very easy wiring was there on my 2004 VDP.

You need to get your car to a dealer afterwards, they need to re-configure the computers to be on the same software level, otherwise some incompatibilities may pop-up. Should be an hour or so work.

Thanks for the info!

Old 04-02-2009, 11:36 AM

I recently came across an XJ accessory brochure that listed a Bluetooth connectivity module (C2C 33822) and a PSE Module (C2C 34515) available for XJ's after the 2004 model year. This is without the use of cables, plugs, docking stations or an external antenna. I will be following up with availablity and $$$ impact.

Old 04-02-2009, 12:45 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Oakcircle,

I don't really have it broken out of the purchase price. When I bought the car, Bluetooth was fitted, but not Jaguar Voice. Part of the price negotiation was including Jaguarvoice. It also meant that the microphone was already installed. They told me the installation of Jaguar voice would "normally" cost $1500. But that was their negotiating point. I had asked the same dealer about fitting it to my 04 XJ8 and they quoted a price of $1000 in 2005. I'll add that I really like it and use it all the time. Particularly useful for the Nav system since you can do many things even while driving that are locked out normally when in motion.

Old 04-02-2009, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by Charlienmr
Oakcircle,

I don't really have it broken out of the purchase price. When I bought the car, Bluetooth was fitted, but not Jaguar Voice. Part of the price negotiation was including Jaguarvoice. It also meant that the microphone was already installed. They told me the installation of Jaguar voice would "normally" cost $1500. But that was their negotiating point. I had asked the same dealer about fitting it to my 04 XJ8 and they quoted a price of $1000 in 2005. I'll add that I really like it and use it all the time. Particularly useful for the Nav system since you can do many things even while driving that are locked out normally when in motion.

Charlienmr My '06 vanden plas didn't have bluetooth, so that is what I negotiated for when I bought it a few weeks ago. I wish I had also added Jaguarvoice. I really enjoyed the voice activation on my previous car, an STS. I am thinking about having it added but want to know what a fair price is.