XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

headliner advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 11:20 AM
Received 122 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by mhamilton
GM figured out how to adhere foam headliners back in the mid '80s without problems,
Only in our selective memories. As usual, the 'good old days' generally were neither.

Failures at 5 to 8 years in challenging conditions, mebbe 10 to 13 years if one is more fortunate - based on my own GM, Jeep, MOPAR experiences of the last 40-odd years since tensioning bows went walkabout. Only ever kept one import ('71 1/2 BMW Bavaria) more than 4 years, the fewer ephemeral Fords didn't stay on-premises long enough to earn headliner fail, else weren't foam to begin with ('52 Customline).

No discernable diff across marque with the foamed fabrics, either. It's the basic 'technology' that has a limited life.

Wouldn't be surprised if flame/fume fire-retarding chemistry is a limiting factor in the maker's choices just as much as economy, BTW.

For all the nuisance labour of outening and innering, it surely would be tempting to apply a synthethic suede or indoor/outdoor olefin with closed-cell neoprene (a nitrile) sheet foam and Goodyear Pliobond (same again). Urethanes and Sputniks just do not last.

Old 08-20-2013, 01:11 PM
Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by mhamilton
So does the colored plastic trim attach to the headliner board? Or to a separate piece that's mounted to the roof?
The whole unit should come down still attached to the headliner board if you go that route. From there, slide it forward and it should fall out. If you've already unhooked the wires, be ready to catch it. On reinstall, it's important to check the two narrow pins spread out wide on the light unit. These have to stab back in correctly for the lights to have power.

Oh--another thing. I had the sun visors down, but the clips that hold them next to the console did not want to pull out. I had the covers off and could press the release tab, but they would not budge. Am I missing something simple with those?
They just pop down, maybe try a gently forward and back motion. That cover is actually the wedge that keeps these in place, so once removed you should be able pull it down. Maybe try the other side to get the feel for it. Pay close attention to how the sunvisor wires are routed before you get too much further. They can get pinched on reinstall and really be a pain.

Keep at it, go slow, and be glad it's not winter. FYI, the A pillars have a long tab/catch at the top that are very breakable. If you haven't lost them already, be careful. The things won't snug down very well without them.

I don't know, I'm basing my experience on other cars I've owned. GM figured out how to adhere foam headliners back in the mid '80s without problems, and I haven't seen issues with Ford cars or truck headliners in recent memory. Just really annoying that this one has failed, it's a flashback to my 1980 Chevrolet with the yellow foam everywhere.[/QUOTE]

Old 08-27-2013, 10:23 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile Headliner glue

This relates to my '05 XK8 headliner - shouldn't be any different than the XJ types. Part of the headliner started to come down where I bang my head on the upper roof frame/rubber molding. About 6" long & 3" deep of the material started to sag & pull away from the headliner board (solid-not foam). Took some fine sandpaper & sanded crumbs of old glue off board & removed dried glue from cloth by rubbing it w/ fingers. Went to a fabric shop & got a bottle of fabric glue which worked great !!!! Used glue sparingly on sanded headliner board & smoothed liner material over wet glued board.
Looks great & no bleed of glue through material to stain it.
Product is: Aleen's Fabric Fusion - permanent fabric adhesion. Mfg'd by Fabrique Par Fabricado POR: I Love To Create 5673 E. Shields Ave., Fresno, California USA www.ilovetocreate.com
I hope this is a permanent fix .... time will tell.

The following 2 users liked this post by tommyzr:
Patty (12-14-2013), Thermite (08-28-2013)
Old 12-14-2013, 05:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am reading all these solutions and will try the buttons but if I end up replacing the entire liner what is approximate cost to do so?

Old 05-11-2014, 07:33 PM
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

I noticed over this weekend that my headliner has started to droop in some areas - specifically, above the front visors and between the front and rear doors in the roof of the car. I am wondering what it will cost to have it taken out and replaced?

Thanks,

Eric

Originally Posted by Patty
I am reading all these solutions and will try the buttons but if I end up replacing the entire liner what is approximate cost to do so?

Old 05-15-2014, 10:24 AM
doc
Received 201 Likes on 168 Posts

My head-liner just cost me $1000au looks awesome though

I was quoted $550au by the same guy that did my XJR6 its got a loose bit already and it was only done 5 years ago and hardly used in that time so went with the new guy

He didn't quote me on the job just said it wouldn't be cheap and it wasn't

I am going to get him to do the sun visors as well drivers one is baggy got plenty spare fabric
He also said if he was doing another one he recommends using felt it will last forever and look much better only thing is it would need to do all the fabric covered surfaces he estimated probably cost the same as I just spent

When I look at the genuine Jaguar fabric with sponge back it crap no wonder the head-liners are a common problem

Old 05-15-2014, 10:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts

I just repaired my sun roof slider and various sections of the headliner in my xjr. As has been mentioned what is key is that you clean off the crumbled foam. From there you use a 3m spray adhesive on the headliner not the fabric. Let it dry then reapply fabric. I used a spackle knife. The issue you will have with this method of the install fabric while in the car method is that. Is that you will never be able to properly turn in the headliner material around the sunroof if you have an issue there. Unsure if its a chemical reaction between the glue jaguar uses or just plain bad foam but I sure a new headliner will be done at some point in the future...For now though 100% better

Old 05-16-2014, 05:22 AM

I tried getting in touch with this company but their website wasn't working. Do you have any phone numbers for them? Patty

Old 07-08-2014, 08:00 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I need a small piece of headliner

Hi I want to make a cover for the "hand grip hole" on the xk8 convertible top. If you have a couple of extra scraps of sand tan around please let me have some. Ill pay your shipping- just stuff 2 or 3 feet in an envelope. thanks Barry 210-274-3715

Old 07-08-2014, 05:54 PM
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Just out of curiosity, how much would I be looking at paying for a good independent shop to redo my headliner (with sunroof and visors)? So far I've heard people say $300 then $500 then $1000. What's the realistic amount I would be paying?

Old 07-08-2014, 10:41 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default It's really not too bad

If you are the slightest bit mechanically inclined, and willing to give up a couple of days - then this is definitely a DIY. Or at least, a "hybrid" DIY. I considered outsourcing this one, but for the price, no.

Getting the headliner board and sunroof took a good half-day. Just go slow and be careful. You will be surprised how intuitive it is. Just be careful of the handle for the sunroof part. You don't want to break it - you'll need it later. I chiseled mine out, then glued a support back in place over the two holes. You'll see what I mean when it's out.

Once out, I took a bristle brush and scrubbed all of the old hardened foam off of the headliner board.

I glued down the fabric to the sunroof, and it was okay. But the curves in the main part of the headliner!

So I took it to an upholstery shop for the main part.

Cost me about a hundred dollars, I provided the fabric (got it 50% off at Jo-Ann).

Getting it back up took the better part of a day. The hardest part was trying not to bend it as I got it back in the car.

But - saving several hundred dollars was worth it to me.

And - the "new car smell" from the fabric and glue is a nice little benefit, too.

The following 3 users liked this post by naterator:
Don B (07-08-2014), JagManBonano (07-10-2014), magmedia (11-01-2014)
Old 07-16-2014, 06:09 PM
Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Nice job Tom. Its hard to tell from the pictures but what color are the buttons you installed? They look white in the picture on the seat but look like a good color match to the headliner in the installed pictures.

Originally Posted by panels
All,
After all the headliner talk and looking at my sagging liner too long I came up with this quick and easy "fix," so to speak. At least it should prevent further release of the two back corners....

I notice with the rear windows down it makes the loose fabric flap in the wind. This should help stop the damage from moving across the headliner.

Not an approved Jaquar repair, but as someone else mentioned, who really looks up at the liner anyways. Plus, this could actually pass for stock in a Chevrolet.

I stopped at the Car Quest and picked up the plastic "buttons" for .16 each.
Looks really good at the visor, I can live with the look of the sagging corner.

Tom

Old 02-17-2015, 06:22 AM
Question How are these buttons fixed?

Originally Posted by panels
All,
After all the headliner talk and looking at my sagging liner too long I came up with this quick and easy "fix," so to speak. At least it should prevent further release of the two back corners....

I notice with the rear windows down it makes the loose fabric flap in the wind. This should help stop the damage from moving across the headliner.

Not an approved Jaquar repair, but as someone else mentioned, who really looks up at the liner anyways. Plus, this could actually pass for stock in a Chevrolet.

I stopped at the Car Quest and picked up the plastic "buttons" for .16 each.
Looks really good at the visor, I can live with the look of the sagging corner.

Tom
Hi, This looks like an excellent solution. I am puzzled how they are fixed though. Unless you drill a pilot hole into the headliner board, do they just screw themselves into the foam/liner material? Or did you perhaps cut them in half and then impact glue the cut end to the headliner board? Just puzzled...
Thanks in advance.

Old 02-24-2015, 03:29 PM
Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by GaryTheGolfer
Hi, This looks like an excellent solution. I am puzzled how they are fixed though. Unless you drill a pilot hole into the headliner board, do they just screw themselves into the foam/liner material? Or did you perhaps cut them in half and then impact glue the cut end to the headliner board? Just puzzled...
Thanks in advance.
"punched" a hole and pushed in the "buttons" they have ridges on them so they stay in tight.

The following users liked this post:
GaryTheGolfer (02-26-2015)
Old 02-24-2015, 08:11 PM
Received 125 Likes on 91 Posts

A couple of observations for you -
The centre front console is held by a 1/4 turn screw inside the sunglasses case. Open the case to see it.
If yours is a LWB the headliner board will come straight out the rear door (lay the front seats down).
Early boards were card - replace with later fibreglass one.
If it's a standard car with sunroof there is every possibility the thing will snap as you have to 'roll it up' to get it out.
I did read of one guy who stripped out the cloth, brushed off the foam, and painted the board!
Good luck!

Old 02-25-2015, 04:10 AM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I had my headliner professionally replaced about 6 months ago. The removal and reinstallation of the rear glass (the best way to get at the headliner in a swb car) was organised by the uphoulsterer and all up it cost me about as much as 4 full tanks of gas. If this were a Toyota forum and I was driving a 1996 Corolla, doing a quick and nasty job by myself might have been ok... but it IS a Jag!
Having said that, both gas and Jags are probably a bit more expensive in New Zealand than in the States, which might give me a different sense of perspective...

Old 02-25-2015, 09:41 AM
Received 122 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by jimforrest (uk)
I did read of one guy who stripped out the cloth, brushed off the foam, and painted the board!
Good luck!
There's something TO that.

While the plush velour look is kinda nice, it has no significant cushioning value in an accident, and as this thread evidences, is a maintenance PITA, long-enough term.

I tend to keep vehicles longer than average, and nearly every one of them, US or foreign - has seen headliner failure at least 'start' - always with the foam failing.

I'm of a mind when recovering becomes unavoidable to follow the lead of those who have used a material that HAS NO age-sensitive foam layer TO deteriorate.

Mock suede shouldn't be too out of place. I'd like to be able to scrub it and with not a great deal more worry than I'd have for the leather seats.