XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

How to lower your X350

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 01:21 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Super V8

I actually have a 06 Super V8 Portfolio. I'm not sure if there would be a difference.

Old 06-26-2012, 01:42 PM
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,421 Posts

Yours is LWB so will definitely have comfort suspension.

Old 06-26-2012, 04:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 505 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Cambo351
I got an email back from Arden, not really much clearer...
From what I gather from the Arden email.

Their system uses "Sport mode" as the trigger

It lowers 30mm while PARKED / Stationary. OR above 70 kph. And removes the factory 15mm drop at 160 kph. I believe even Arden realizes 30mm is too much of a drop for city driving, which is why they trigger it at 70kph, AND give you the option to turn it off.
__________________________________________________ ______

NOW... Here's what we know so far.

From a quick glance I believe the ride height sensors to be variable reisistors, (think potentiometers, like a volume control, with the knob attached to the suspension).

(see attached screenshot of the wiring diagram for the 04 XJ) I have an
I have an 04 - I think the later cars use one front sensor, but that is irrelevant to modifying it.

The sensors are supplied a reference voltage and ground, and in turn return a voltage based on the position of the suspension.

As a result of this thread so far...

We know that ride height can be manipulated in various ways.

Electronically, via the Jaguar IDS/SSD system (reprogramming the standing height as higher than it actually is), and having the ASM compensate accordingly, thereby lowering the car.

Mechanically, by shimming the sensors, aka extending the ride height sensors articulation, so the ASM sees the car as higher, and once again compensates accordingly, thereby lowering the car.

And Finally, Electronically via the Arden module. (or a new proposed method - which I am thinking about developing) which plugs in between the Ride height sensors, and the ASM, and alters the output of the Ride height sensors, causing the car to believe it is once again higher than stock, therefore lowering the car.

Each of these have their good and bad points.

First Jaguar IDS/SDD

Pros:

The IDS/SSD system is the LEAST intrusive and allows for the most precise adjustment. You can alter the ride height in 1mm increments. To fine tune it to your preference. It requires NO additional module and or mechanical hardware. The procedure is also easily reversible should you decide to change the ride height or return the car to stock.

Cons:

Extremely expensive and difficult for an end user to acquire, but very useful for other sorts of things to. Probably few (if any) dealer techs and maybe some independents that would do this for a customer.
No ability to alter or fine tune without going back to said dealer / tech if you do not have your own setup.

Mechanically shimming sensors / washers:

Pros - It works. And it's the cheapest way by far. Some ability to tune ride height based on the size / combo of washers used.

Cons - You basically have to stuff washers in between your sensors. With the Mercedes guys that do this, there is some concern regarding this coming loose, and possibly causing the suspension to collapse to the ground. No adjustment available without redoing it - adding / removing washers.

Electronically via manipulaton of sensor outputs:

Pros: It works, and doesnt require rare / hard to obtain hardware. It can be turned on / off or adjusted on the fly - think sport mode for the arden module. - assuming you use additional potetiometers, you can have a variable range of adjustment. Possibly even inside the car.

Cons. - Will require either sourcing the connectors male / female to the ASM or splicing into it's harness.

Let me know your thoughts.

Take care,

George

Attached Thumbnails How to lower your X350-ride-height-sensors.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Brian M Williams (10-20-2021)
Old 08-23-2012, 09:54 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

the Jag Wrangler (our own WhiteXKR) may be able to come up with electrical components for inline placement in the sensor leads, for any number of levels of adjustment...will send him a note to check this out!

Old 08-23-2012, 10:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Thanks for pointing me to this thread H20boy.

I actually have a device under development, the inital application is for driver contorlled power steering assist adjustments on the XK8/R. It is intended to integrate cleanly and work with existing steering wheel buttons and instrument cluster display.

I am designing it as a generic device, which can be used in different applications with relatively minor software changes. For example, there is another engine sensor mapping application I am targetting with it (I am being intentially vague, because I am not at liberty to discuss that yet).

I definitely do not want to step on George's toes, but it looks like it can be fairy readily adapted to this application also with some software and connector changes.

Old 08-23-2012, 11:50 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
Thanks for pointing me to this thread H20boy.

I actually have a device under development, the inital application is for driver contorlled power steering assist adjustments on the XK8/R. It is intended to integrate cleanly and work with existing steering wheel buttons and instrument cluster display.

I am designing it as a generic device, which can be used in different applications with relatively minor software changes. For example, there is another engine sensor mapping application I am targetting with it (I am being intentially vague, because I am not at liberty to discuss that yet).

I definitely do not want to step on George's toes, but it looks like it can be fairy readily adapted to this application also with some software and connector changes.
Take the ball and run with it. I'm an EE as well, so I'm sure I can do it, but.. Honestly I just don't have the time, and as of yesterday nor an x350 to test it on. You're much deeper into this stuff.. I have a day job, and I sell cars as a side gig. I assume this is your side gig...

Your generic "sensor manipulation device" idea is brilliant in that it can become so many things... Just like that PAC timer thing that people use for everything under the sun, despite being initially marketed as an Alpine video bypass module. I'd be glad to help any way I can.

Take care,

George

Old 08-23-2012, 12:11 PM

Tell you what i'd like guys. A little control panel in where the ashtray is.

A rotary knob on the left side to control the CATS with four different positions;

Auto, Soft, Firm and Launch

A second rotary knob on the right to control the ride height. Fully proportional -40mm to zero to +30mm, with a little pointer on it or maybe multi coloured LEDs...

How much and how soon can I have it?

Oh and BTW in the meantime i found a bracket kit for the height sensors J-Complete X350 Lowering Kit for $1075...!

The following users liked this post:
XJPurr (08-23-2017)
Old 08-23-2012, 01:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

As George alluded to, this is my part-time side gig, so it is tough to make long term availability commtments.

The good news is it seems consistent with what I am developing this falll and winter, but the steering and engine control versions are first in line. I will look more deeply into the details, and I hope do this if it is as starighforward as it seems to be on the surface.

Too early to set pricing, but suffice it to say it will be much, much less than Arden.

Old 08-23-2012, 02:17 PM
Veteran Member

Tell you what i'd like guys. A little control panel in where the ashtray is.

A rotary knob on the left side to control the CATS with four different positions;

Auto, Soft, Firm and Launch

A second rotary knob on the right to control the ride height. Fully proportional -40mm to zero to +30mm, with a little pointer on it or maybe multi coloured LEDs...

Oh and BTW in the meantime i found a bracket kit for the height sensors J-Complete X350 Lowering Kit for $1075...!
The cats and lowering are different propositions.

Ride height is straight forward. Suspension dampening isnt, or at least I haven't investigated it.

The Arden module does 3 things.

1 - uses the factory sport mode to engage.
2 - Lowers the car 30mm when parked, but keeps it at stock height lower than 70kph, so it uses the vss signal.
3 - Disables the factory 15mm drop at 70mph

I dont think "dial a height" is really practical. What could work would be 3 heights. - 30mm, - 15mm, stock and + 15 mm. Why on EARTH would you want + 40mm? Planning on mounting some mud tires?

Take care,

George

Old 08-24-2012, 02:12 AM
Veteran member

woohoo, I think this is a great idea...many-a-x350 member will doing backflips to pick up a 'user adjustable' ride height controller! Heck, if most of ours (and I haven't even picked mine up from the dealer just yet) are 'high' to begin with, a -15mm drop and stock should be suitable for most. Keep it simple, I say. Keep at it Steve, even if it goes into the winter, I think this is going to take off just like your convertible module did!

Old 08-24-2012, 02:49 AM

I should have put a smiley after "how much and when can I have it" I do realise this is a side gig for all of us...

I think the ride height and CATS control should be combined in the one black box for the X350, or at least have the option for both.

The CATS control would also be interesting for XKR & STR owners, it has been discussed several times before.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ing-xkr-76989/ and https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-switch-73487/

I also looked into the CATS on the X350, here are my findings https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...uestion-76476/

An additional suspension control module covering height and CATS would really be nice to have...

Tricking the accelerometers is not the way to go, feeding the signals directly to the shocks will be the way...

Old 09-08-2012, 11:21 PM
Veteran member

Cambo, I used a WDS today to lower my front suspension 15mm, as the rear looked good to me originally. The procedure worked like a charm! Great details on the writeup, I appreciate it.

I'll try to get a pic to show the post-calibration results...but here is the before shot that I will be comparing it too.

BEFORE

AFTER (and the car is ON/running in the pic)

Last edited by H20boy; 10-10-2012 at 03:21 PM.
Old 09-09-2012, 12:38 AM
Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts

With the lowering I'm guessing a 4 wheel alignment is recommended too to bring the measurement back in spec? Or is our suspension geometry doesn't get affected with the multi-link type suspension?

Old 09-09-2012, 01:12 AM
Veteran member

Casper, I'm unable to intelligently answer that one for you. I'll guess it increases the total camber, but I'm hoping not enough to affect tire wear...not for 15mm. I monitor my wear every few months, so I'll notice it if it does.

Old 09-11-2012, 10:30 PM
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Lowering the XJR! Where do I sign up can't wait to see what happens. This is such a great forum.

Old 09-12-2012, 01:18 AM

Hard to say about the alignment, it'd be a good idea to have one done.

But don't forget that the system is designed for the 15mm drop at 100mph, so it must be only a minor influence on the geometry...

Old 09-12-2012, 07:14 PM
Veteran member

aaahhh, good point Cambo.

Old 09-12-2012, 07:33 PM
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

I would love to lower my VDP by 15mm easily
......without hitting 100mph....

Old 11-19-2012, 02:44 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HhisIII
I would love to lower my VDP by 15mm easily
......without hitting 100mph....
what if i hit 100mph with the car 15mm lowered initially?
anyway to disable speed mode?

Old 11-19-2012, 04:43 AM

I've often exceeded 100mph after lowering the car and it's no problem, there is still plenty of travel, but this is why i suggested only 15mm drop, because >100mph it becomes 30mm, which is about as far as you want to go.

No simple/easy way to disable speed mode AFAIK.

The Arden lowering kit disables the automatic drop, and as far as I can tell the J-Complete kit as well, but it's a question of price with those babys...

Quick Reply: How to lower your X350