XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

How to: play mp3s and Videos in your x350

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 11:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to: play mp3s and Videos in your x350

So I thought I would like to play MP3's and videos not from the DVD in the back, in my 2005 XJ.

I didn't fancy looking for and buying an ACM/VIM ( too expensive) so thought I would try and bring the AUX inputs to the front.
I have heard someone had done this but didn't know how.

OK so I had some spare time and did some research, seems only way into the (MOST ) audio system is through the rear entertainment pack in the rear armrest.
So I soldered some cables out from the circuit board in the rear entertainment box and took them into the front ashtray. This took some working out as it seems the red input is a switching input so when something is plugged into that port, only then does it play stereo.
So I had to leave a small dummy phono plug in to switch it to stereo. on hindsight it may have been better and easier to just plug in the phono leads in the front of the panel.

The issue then remained that only the “dignitary” in the back can switch to/from the AUX input ( hard to reach that button in the back while driving),
I soldered a couple of wires to the audio select button in the rear panel and took that to a button in the ashtray as well.

Whole project didn't cost a great deal apart from the time of course, and hopefully someone may find useful.
The nephews are happy as they can watch whatever they like on the rear DVD screens ( if I let them into the car at all)

A few issues remain, I cant play videos AND send to the dvd screens at the same time, its one or the other, but as I haven't learnt how to drive and watch videos so its not a major issue and that is the mp3 player I'm using..
Also noticed I cant now switch video back to the DVD in the boot, this may be because the AUX takes priority or perhaps the Video select button is damaged, need to check that yet.

There are already guides on here showing how to remove the various items here or feel free to ask.

So photo below shows video in, audio in and also next to the cigar lighter is the button to switch inputs.

This was the soldering a mate helped me do so we could operate the audio select button from the front, so we could switch to and from the AUX.

Now I can play MP3s and videos from my player AND push that video to the rear screens for the passengers to enjoy.
My nephews love being able to watch cartoons/films in the back.

Old 01-31-2016, 07:52 AM
Received 95 Likes on 85 Posts

Very cool