XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Ignition switch

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 10:31 PM
Received 12,755 Likes on 6,388 Posts

Originally Posted by drbill
Well,
It's not the switch.... I swapped out the entire mechanism with a known good spare from another car; it's still leaving the accessories on with the key out. Not sure where to look now. Relay staying energized? Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Hi Bill,

You're making progress. It definitely could be a relay. Off the top of my head there's a rear ignition relay in the Rear Power Distribution Fuse Box in the trunk, and a slave ignition relay in the Front Power Distribution Fuse Box. There are a couple of Switched System Power Relays in the Passenger Junction Fuse Box. Check the schematics in the Electrical Guide, which you can download here:

2004 XJ X350 Electrical Guide

I can't recall the year and model of your Jag, but if it's not an '04 just check at jagrepair.com for the guide for your year. It's a great idea to add your car's year, model and engine info to your signature line so others don't have to ask in order to give you accurate responses.

I'm not sure which relay(s) are involved in Auxiliary functions, but I would suggest you start on the schematics for the components that are staying on, and work your way upstream in their circuits until you find a common relay or other component.

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 03-01-2017 at 10:39 PM.
The following users liked this post:
EssOess (03-03-2017)
Old 03-03-2017, 03:46 PM
Received 123 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Don B
Hi Bill,

You're making progress. It definitely could be a relay. Off the top of my head there's a rear ignition relay in the Rear Power Distribution Fuse Box in the trunk, and a slave ignition relay in the Front Power Distribution Fuse Box. There are a couple of Switched System Power Relays in the Passenger Junction Fuse Box. Check the schematics in the Electrical Guide, which you can download here:

2004 XJ X350 Electrical Guide

I can't recall the year and model of your Jag, but if it's not an '04 just check at jagrepair.com for the guide for your year. It's a great idea to add your car's year, model and engine info to your signature line so others don't have to ask in order to give you accurate responses.

I'm not sure which relay(s) are involved in Auxiliary functions, but I would suggest you start on the schematics for the components that are staying on, and work your way upstream in their circuits until you find a common relay or other component.

Cheers,

Don
Hey guys, I'm glad I swapped out the ignition switch. The old one now won't even accept the key. I think the tumblers are somehow out of position. Anyway, still have 2 issues with the "new" ignition switch:

1. The car will not crank: starter not engaging. Turns out I'll need to find someone to program the new key to the car. Bummer. I didn't think about that... dealership only?

2. I still have the problem with the radio, etc. remaining on when the key is removed from the ignition. I'll sort that once I get it to start.

This is my 2004 XJR (It's in the signature)

Old 03-05-2017, 06:44 AM
Received 168 Likes on 112 Posts

Thanks Bill.

I'm glad you are slightly ahead of me, so don't fall into the same trap. Too bad for you though.

I guess it makes sense that if the ignition was on due to bad switch, that all functions (wipers etc) would be on too. But in your case, and mine, only certain items remain powered up. This points to the relays as Don says.

My situation is that the instrument pack and light switch remain powered. I'm looking at the Elec Guide (pg 64 I think), and note that both of these have the same power source. I'll let you know if a find something,

Rob

Old 09-29-2022, 11:49 AM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't think NA vehicles had a steering lock, mine doesn't.
Correct! N.A. x350 do not have the steering lock, like in E.U.